my black iPhone 5 after 1 week (naked)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iapplelove, Sep 29, 2012.

1. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

One week of use with no case or screen protection, no scuffs scratches to report.

Got a ton of use as well..so if you want black go for it

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348926992.327083.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348927001.646683.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348927012.822311.jpg

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yep, same here. Unless your black iP5 arrived out of the box nicked and scratched or with defective anodizing coating you're good to go.

3. appswipe macrumors 6502

:confused: Are we going to have weekly updates on this stuff? If people feel its a non issue then why are they so interested in discussing it?

4. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Mine has yet to show any signs of wear, and I have knocked it off a few things, and had it rubbing against my metal band sunglasses while making calls.

No scuffs yet.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I'm not willing to take a chance.

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I put an iCarbons back and side skin

I don't think it's needed but I like the look and will keep it mint.

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Whats too risky for you ?

I notice you own one as listed in your signature.

8. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

There is definitely an issue with the ones coming OOB scratched. But people were also concerned about abnormal wear with use.

These threads just help alleviate some of those concerns.

9. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Maybe because so many try to make it seem that every 5 is damaged tight from the box or soon will be? I'm sure if people are willing to quit talking about scuffs or maps then others will be willing to quit testifying that they aren't having any problems.

10. Joewat64 macrumors regular

Mine looks fine too. Nothing wrong with black iPhones.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's not exactly a non-issue as a batch of black iP5 are shipping out of the box nicked or being extremely susceptible to scratching, indicating defective anodizing coating. I'm sure they'll resolve this issue.

----------

+1.

Abnormal wear with use points to defective anodizing coating. If your black iP5 is like that, just get it swapped for a non-defective one.

12. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I think he means going caseless

13. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

No case sorry...

14. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

ehh it said naked in the title.. :eek: disappointed

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I appreciate it anyways. I like to see that it may be stronger than the media implies (or that it's more of a defect out of the box but if you get a good one you are good to go. Even if I did get a defective one that means if I did manage to swap it for a good one that I'd have a chance of keeping the good one in at least decent shape).

I ended up putting mine in a case anyways cause I don't want to risk it (and then decided I really liked the grip the case gave so now even if I've seen a few scratch tests and testimonials like this, it's easier for me to just say don't bother risking it and I get a bonus of a good grip on my phone).

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

"iPhone 5 after 1 week (naked)"

After reading this title that includes the word "naked" and the many that preceded it (sexy, nude, etc) with these sexual references, it occurred to me that iPeople have a rather perverse need to equate an inanimate object with sex... interesting.

On to my iPhone 5 experience.

Mine came out of the box with over four large scratches surrounding the Apple logo. There was no nitpicking required to see these huge marks. Another trip to the Apple store, and another exchange, all required due to an apparent absence of quality control prior to packing the product.

The replacement also had scratches, but of much smaller size. I've come to accept Apples decline in quality, chalking it up to their burning desire to generate even more cash & higher volume.

Now that the Apple brand will carry them, they know exactly how much they can get away with.

17. vaultwit macrumors regular

18. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Some did:

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

My Macbook Pro with first gen LED display (the Santa Rosa ones) looked like someone had pissed on it like so many others. My iPhone 4 had pretty bad antennagate issues. My first-gen Xbox 360 red-ringed, my launch PS3 yellow-lighted and my 3DS had the factory screen-scratching.

People don't seem to appreciate the risk you take buying a brand new, first-gen product. Early-adopters always pay more and have more issues than people buying 6 or 8 months down the line.

20. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Exciting!!! I can't wait for Week 2's thread! :rolleyes:

21. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Mine is the same...and I had to go through 3 before I got to this phone. I think the OP is right. Unless it's scratched/scuffed out of the box, the thing is pretty durable.

22. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

lol as oppose to all your threads about having sex with iphones or complaining about genus bar appointments.
    yeah i think this one is a little more produtive

23. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

So you're saying that the iPhone 5 won't explode if it gets a mark when you carry it in your pocket!? BRILLIANT!!!

24. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

My iPhone 5 (32GB black) is doing very well too. It was damage free right out of the box and still looks the same as day one. The back brushed up against the pocket rivets of my jeans a couple of times and there's not a mark to show for it. I'm very happy. :)