My boss has given me $1,000 to spend on a company camera. UGGGGH.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Shacklebolt, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

I normally shoot with a D300, but could badly use a new camera (simply because my current one is breaking/locking). Because of work I've done for my current company, they've offered me $1,000. But not TOWARD the purchase of a camera; FOR the purchase of a camera. (Camera that belongs to the company, not me).

And you know, it really is generous. But $1,000 is kind of a "black hole" in terms of purchasing options. I want something better, in terms of image quality, than I currently have, or at least, I want something with more features and the SAME image quality. $1k too little for a D300s, even refurbished. And of course, a D700/800 is out of the question.

Assume you cannot go ONE CENT above $1,000.00. I already have all the lenses/accessories I need, and even if I didn't, I can ONLY PURCHASE A CAMERA BODY. Not lenses, not accessories. A camera body, and that's it.

What do I do? This is a monstrous pain -- my boss doesn't seem to understand how this is a tough decision, but it's mind-bogglingly tough. Again, $1000.00 is the hard limit, period.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If it was me? I'd buy a good secondhand body...Seems the best option for you.

3. towg macrumors regular

I just got a D7000 body and am well happy with it. I think they average about 1000 US....

I'm in Wales so cant be certain

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm in Cardiff...1K would easily cover it US wise....Seems the best solution really, it's not enough money for anything decent brand new, but there are bargains to be had if you take care.

5. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Is a D7000 really a step up from the D300 in terms of image quality? I'm just such a fan of the build of the D300, and I trust its low-light performance.

D7000 looks like a newer D90, and I found the D90 and D300 just in a different class in terms of image quality. If the D7000 is a step up from the D300 in terms of image quality, then seems like a no-brainer. But I'm not as convinced.

EDIT: I've also looked into the D300s vs. D7000 comparrisons, and the general consensus I've found is that "You can't compare an amateur-level camera to a prosumer camera, even if the D7000 is a better deal."

Sigh.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Go to a decent camera shop and get hands on...Try before you buy so to speak.

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I have never used a D300/s and so really can't tell you anything about image quality between the two and a D7000. I did purchase a D7000 because it was in my price range and used SD cards (already had some cards from my old D50). You might be better looking for another D300/s because you already have/use CF cards. I know that isn't a major consideration but it is one that I took into account.

Definitely try the D7000 out (rent one for a weekend?, Find a friend or someone in a local Flickr group meet-up who has one) and check the image quality yourself.

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Judging that you're limited to Nikon, I would go with the D7000. I have seen some absolutely gorgeous images from that camera body. I don't shoot Nikon so I would presume it would be a step up from your D300, although a bigger step up would be the D700 or D800, but obviously those two are out of the picture. You can easily pick up a refurbed D7000 from Nikon's web site or get one used for a little under $1K.

9. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Amazon has the D7000 for $997.

I have a D300 and I used a D7000 a bit a few months ago. Problem is, I only shot video with it.

There's no doubt that the D300's build quality is better, as you already know.

The D7000 takes you from 12 mp to 16 mp, a decent increase.

I agree with the poster who recommended going to a shop and trying one out, if you can. If you have an SDHC card lying around you could take your own glass, make a few images, and then go back and compare. Even if you don't have one, 4 gb SDHC cards are so cheap and used in so many places you wouldn't be wasting your money to stop off somewhere and buy one.

10. MacCruiskeen macrumors 6502

Image quality is an issue, but so is reliability. I have to ask how hard you used this camera if it's failing after only a few years. If you need heavy daily use, then getting a consumer-grade body might not be a good choice. Also, how urgent is it? Urgent enough that waiting to see what comes at Photokina in a few days is not an option?

11. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Get a D7000, with the recent discounts, it should be within your budget. It's an amazing camera, the built quality is close to the D300, the image quality is top notch and the AF system is up there with the D300.

12. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Yes, sadly could not wait for Photokina (it's a work politics thing).

Went with the D7000 -- I'm pleased enough. My real concern is high-ISO performance. I don't need it to match the D700/800 at 6400 or anything. If it matches/surpasses the D300 up to 3200, I'll be thrilled.

13. towg macrumors regular

There are bargains but check out online sellers reputations. For cameras if a price looks to good to be true its usually because its grey market equipment - which means no warranty for your country.

I got my D7000 from a reseller on Amazon and its a US import so I dont have a warranty. Wasnt advertised as such and the seller has recently gone AWOL due to a load of customers complaining about it.

Its my fourth Nikon and I've had no problems with the others so fingers crossed :eek:

14. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Why are you concerned? The D7000's sensor has better high-ISO performance than the D300. The explanation is simple: the D7000 has a newer sensor. The difference will be even more significant if you take into account that the D7000 has a higher resolution.