My Brother Wants to trade me his MacBook for my HP Laptop, Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by toasty hoodie, Sep 16, 2011.

1. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

Ok, here's the specs of his laptop

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2.2-black-13-late-2007-santa-rosa-specs.html

His has been upgraded to a 500gb HDD, 4GB ram, and is running OSx Lion with ease

It also is running a 2.2ghz CPU and is the 3,1 model

It also has the full iWork and iLife suites installed

Here's the specs of my laptop:

HP dv7-3152nr

2.2ghz AMD Turion Dual Core
    4gb ram
    500gb HDD

Integrated graphics (Which barely runs COD4 at 800x600 resolution) Definitely not a gaming rig, lol

Blu-Ray drive (Which I never use)

17.3" screen at 1600x900

Windows 7 Home Premium

Good battery

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Only thing that stinks is the 13.3" screen

I've always wanted a MacBook, and I wouldn't mind helping him out (He's 17, enlisting in the ARMY, and needs the PC to run some programs exclusive to the ARMY for his schooling from what I understand)

So what do you guys think? I'm only hesitant due to the screen size difference.

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

That is a rather old machine, could be slow for some needs. For what kind of applications will you be using it ?

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

do it,
    you wanted a macbook he wanted a pc. PS, give him my thanks (he is in the army)

4. toasty hoodie thread starter macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

Mainly for downloading purposes, some light video editing (no need for FinalCutPro), and video streaming/watching.

Most importantly for iTunes. I have an iPad and an iPod Touch. Aside from that, it's just gonna be a downloading rig.

I have a PS3 for gaming, and I also use my iPod and iPad for most other purposes. Would be nice to have integration with Pages too.

I've never had the opportunity to own a Mac, as finances have usually been a problem.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Perhaps since it is ment for a download machine you could get a better machine. What i would do is:
    1) trade, macs are worth more than PC'S
    2) sell the MB on CL
    3)useing the money you got spend another additional 100$ or so to upgrade.

6. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

They're about equal in value, but I'd consider the fact that you're going from 17" to 13". That's going to be a HUGE disadvantage for the macbook, and you're going to have to do a lot more scrolling. From 17" I'd probably go down to 15" at the very lowest

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

This may not be of any help to you but, I would swap that in a heartbeat. An upgraded Macbook for a HP that will probably chock out on you in a couple month. The only thing you'd be giving up is the 17.3" screen and the Blu-Ray; but you don't use that anyway =). Go for it dude! :cool:

8. session101 macrumors regular

do it! black macbook is worth more than the white one.. and its got pretty good specs, do some minor cheap upgrades and you could re-sell it if you want and get about $600 for it

plus don't you hate lugging around a 17" screen when you can have a portable 13" screen that fits on most desktops

9. toasty hoodie thread starter macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

I went ahead and did it. I'm completely happy I did. I have a complete clean install of Lion and it's just amazing. I finally got things organized last night. I still have lots to learn, but I'm blown away by how smooth it runs and how easy it is to accomplish something.

I look forward to learning more and enjoying my Mac even more.

10. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

You're happy with the trade, how happy is your brother?

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I know this is after the fact, but if your brother needed Windows to run certain programs, why did he not just install Windows on the MacBook?

12. mwhities macrumors 6502a

OP, I'd go for it. This is what I did.

I sold my Dell 1545 (http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15/pd) for 500 and added 150 to get a mid 2010 Macbook (http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-13-polycarbonate-unibody-mid-2010-specs.html). 15" to 13" not much of a jump but the resolution went down a lot.

I couldn't be happier. Yes, I lucked up on selling my Dell for 500 but, it wasn't what I wanted. I just lucked up (again) and found this Macbook that included a Magic Mouse and dvi/hdmi adapter. Plus, it still have AC warranty till Oct 31, in which I'll extend it another two years before then.

Does your brother's Macbook still have AC? If so, jump on it. If not, I might wait and watch craigslist as mentioned earlier and find one with AC.

13. xpcker macrumors regular

14. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

You sold your Dell 1545 for $500? Great job! I just sold my Dell Vostro 3450 (nice overall specs: Core i5-2410m, ATI 6630m 1GB video, 6GB RAM, USB3.0, eSATA) for $550 so I could get the same Macbook you now have :). Enjoy it!

OP, if you haven't done the trade yet I would. If you miss Windows you can always run Windows via Bootcamp so "best of both worlds".

15. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I went and looked at Ebay and there were only a few (New) at (near) the 500 range. So I lucked up. :) I am enjoying it, I thought the small 13" screen would bother me but, it's working great. The multi-desktops help too.

OP, how's it going? Did you do the trade? Again, personally, I would im a heart beat. Let us know.

EDIT: I missed your post. Congrats on making the trade. As others have stated (and you as well) you will like it. I agree with you saying how smooth it is. I actually WANT to use my Macbook to do school work on.

Congrats again.