My call to ATT about the paying with cash, I spoke to the store manager.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Carbonic, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Carbonic macrumors regular

The first time I called, the sales person double checked and said that they were going to accept cash, skeptical I called another store.

They said they weren't going to accept cash, and the guy that I talked to was "just handed the corporate memo", so I called back the ATT store by my house, and asked to speak with the store manager.

I let him know that I called 10 minutes ago about whether or not they were accepting cash, because I heard from another store that they weren't, and asked him if that store would be accepting cash, he said "yes". I then said "So, if I come in tomorrow, with cash, I'm not going to get turned down?" he said, "You shouldn't." Then I basically kept repeating, and making sure that he indeed was the store manager, and he was.

So basically, if I go in tomorrow with cash they *SHOULD* be able to sell it to me right? I mean I did talk with the store manager himself. I don't want to have to wait inline only to get turned down, when I heard it from his sales person, and from his own mouth.

I tried getting one of those visa prepaid cards, but they don't come in the mail until 7-10 days...

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Unless you got that declaration in writing, you better hope you talk to the same guy when you go in to the store. Get someone who actually follows the rules, and you will be without an iPhone 3G.

3. kmay37 macrumors member

First I dunno how smart it is to wait in line with a lot of Cash and second everything I have read says NO CASH...I would advise against it...but if that is all you have can't hurt to try right..?

4. Carbonic thread starter macrumors regular

If I can't think of any other ways of getting a prepaid visa any sooner, I will make sure that I get the store manager.

5. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Yeh, i heard its a no cash thing. But then again i dont see why not because u can only buy one and its in store activation only.

6. Carbonic thread starter macrumors regular

I wouldn't wait in line with my cash, I'd leave it in my car and have my friend go get it when they start letting people in.

7. Carbonic thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to double post, but what If I went to an Apple store, and bought lets say, a 400$ gift card?

8. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Everything I've seen indicates that gift cards are acceptable, but it's always good to double check.

9. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

That is true, u can bring cash and buy a gift card from att or apple store and use it instead of cash.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Which is moronic because that's just a workaround. Why not take cash then?

11. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

I asked the guy at my ATT store and he said probably, but my best bet was to get gift cards. So I did that and he said I will be fine. Plus he will be there tomorrow morning, so if there are any problems, I can talk to him.

12. Carbonic thread starter macrumors regular

Both stores I called said they discontinued gift cards? -_-;;

My dad is letting me use his credit card, would they accept that?

13. dangoland macrumors member

Uhm, are you upgrading your phone and already have an at&t account? if not, they might require a deposit form you, you ready for that too?

14. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

they'll probably ask you for your ID or his since it's someone elses credit card

make sure to bring his ID just in case the dude's like NAW SON GET OUT

15. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

if u are using a credit card, the person whose card it is has to be there. Also, the att account owner has to be there to resign a contract.

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

They'll take it if he is there with his ID.

17. Carbonic thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have to pay the deposit, I already went in for that and she said I was good to go.

I will be a new customer.

Will they still be able to take my dads credit card?

I JUST got off the phone with a different ATT store that HAS gift cards, so should I just get one of those? Is that my best bet?

18. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

'

YOu can buy a prepaid visa at 7/11 stores

19. aethelbert macrumors 601

I would get gift cards. I wouldn't want to be turned down due to cash, which I think that you would be. It's kinda odd, seeing as I bought my iPhone a few hours ago with cold hard francs, but AT&T is odd sometimes.

20. GageGecko macrumors member

GageGecko

Why don't you just go get a Visa Gift card from a local drug store or a Walmart and use that?

21. Carbonic thread starter macrumors regular

That visa giftcard thing was my ORIGINAL plan, but I went to a walgreens,and they had the prepaid gift cards, but I wouldn't receive it until 7-10 days, which obviously isn't going to work for tomorrow.

They also had these other gift cards with $100 on it, but thats it, i didn't get it because i was skeptical they wouldn't work.

22. iStefmac macrumors regular

Probably should have thought of this before TODAY if you were planning to buy on launch morning.

23. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

Thats what I was afraid off. The ATT guy (who was really cool btw), even reccomended it. The cards are not discontinued, I picked up (2) $100 and (3) $50. Wish me the best!

24. timmciglobal macrumors member

You know in USA it's technically illegal to refuse to accept cash. Go look at note sometime it says "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private" but the corporations have mutated that into "only public" and have made it so they can limit transactions on the right to refuse business laws.

Complete ******** if you ask me.

Tim

25. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

The reality is it doesn't matter what someone on the phone told you. If the policy ends up being no cash, what they said won't change the reality. I would seriously be trying to come up with a way to have someone go with me with a credit card or debit card.

As for it being illegal to not take cash that is not true. It is legal tender, it does not mean you have to accept it.