My computer is running slow and almost out of HD space. Says 70 gbs of other data

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crzdcolombian, Jun 30, 2013.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

My computer is running slow and almost out of HD space. Says 70 gbs of other data. I have no clue what it is. I have a 320 gb 2011 macbook pro 13. I have 80gbs of movies(digital copies I get with my blu rays), 8 gbs of pictures, 1 gb of documents and 115 gbs of music. It says 60gbs of other files? I checked out how much of that is appliciations and its 25gbs. Then the OS has to be a couple gbs but can't be 35 !!! That is insane. I watch netflix and comcast stream all the time and wonder if that is the rest of the data? Is there a way to delete it?

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Where are you viewing this information?
    The "About This Mac" > More Info > Storage dialog doesn't list "Documents" as a separate thing.

FWIW, I have about 60Gb of "Other" files on my hard drive. This will include PDFs, emails, and every other app's documents.

If you want, you can download something like OmniDiskSweeper, which is free. It lets you browse your Mac's disk folders sorted by size, so you can pinpoint exactly where the largest chunks of stuff are. It also lets you delete them easily.

3. PajamaPants macrumors member

I had the same problem a few months ago. Do what Benwiggy said and consider buying a cheap external hard drive for the music, movies and some other large files.

Good luck!

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I agree, try this first ^^^^^

Also, recently I have had an issue where my "other" section became pretty large (200GB+), and it was because my time machine was on but not connected, so all my local backups were saving to my computer in the "other" section and not the "backup" section for some reason. So if you have local snapshots turned on, try turning it off and see if it clearns anything.

5. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I went to Apple they said because I have a lot of non itunes purchased music/movies that it's what is making up my 60gbs and they suggest using itunes match as I have 130 gbs of music and 90 of movies on my HD. I am selling this 2011 macbook pro for 100 bucks less than I bought it for in open boxed at Microcenter and getting a new macbook air open box for 100 bucks :D

Itunes Match takes forever