My Cousin wants to know, if a iPhone is the right thing for her.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Botoxopfer, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Botoxopfer macrumors newbie

Hi Macrumors members!

First of all, let me excuse my bad englisch. I'm not a native English speaker.

So my (female) cousin wanted to know if a iPhone is a good phone for her. I said that the iPhone is very easy to use but it has some problems, which everyone on the internet talks about. I have not hold a iPhone 4 yet, so I don't know if all thats true ( Yes, I mean the Proximity Sensor Problems & the Antennagate)

So I've got three question for you.
    1. Hows the Signal of the iPhone 4 in locations where you don't have 3g? Does it lose it signal completly if you touch it in such an area?
    2. Did 4.1 fix the Proximity Sensor problems?
    and
    3. Does the Antennagate even occur in Germany? I've only heard people complaining in the US about the antenna.

Please don't consider these question as trolling. I'd really like to know your opinions!

Thanks in Advance

Botoxopfer

2. RuggedPro macrumors regular

1) The iphone actually works better in places that have no 3g coverage. The aptly named "edge" network is on the "cutting-edge" and therefor better.

1a) If you touch the phone at all it loses signal but it's not supposed to be handled. The phone comes with a bluetooth headset and protective case so that you never encounter this issue. However, if you do touch it, you can send it back to apple for a replacement.

2)Yes and no.

3)The phones are of Asian descent and are very temperamental when removed from their homeland. If at all possible, travel to it's home country often to keep it happy.

Hope this helps!

PS: Benutzen Sie den Suchknopf.

3. Botoxopfer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much :)
    btw to what does it drop when you're on edge? to no signal at all? That would be pretty bad.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

OP - See my answers above.

5. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

3G or EDGE it doesnt matter. Only different is speed when browsing between the two..

You'd probably see better reception with EDGE as its older so more towers around and it penetrates buildings better providing better reception inside buildings. Unless of course you have a lot of 3G towers around than you won't see a diff.

6. Botoxopfer thread starter macrumors newbie

@Interstella5555

Thanks!
    The only person I know did exchange his iPhone 4 after a few hours because he could not use it as a telephone...
    I think I'll tell her to get an iPhone and exchange it, if it has any problems.

7. iPadztr macrumors 6502

the good thing about apple is their exchange policy. Anything software or hardware failure related, they honor it and exchange with a new one. (YMMV) at least that's been my experience when I'm having issues with my iPhone or iPad.

Good luck OP and I see that your questions have been answered with these macforum loyalists ;)

8. Botoxopfer thread starter macrumors newbie

I think this Thread can be closed now. Thanks to everyone again!

9. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

1) The antenna problem specific to the iPhone 4 is due to your skin conductively bridging the gap separating the two antennas. This reduced the signal by (I think) -20db. Normally you'll see a signal strength from about -50db (near a tower) to -120db (phone drops call and shows no signal). This is why many people living in an area with good signal often reported no problems (-50db native to their area + -20db = -70db) while other people living in a poor signal area (say -105db native) would have lots of problems.(-105 + -20= call drop)

Overall, the iPhone 4 actually holds onto signal well, with some researchers pointing out that it can operate on lower signal (-120db) than the older iPhone 3GS could (-113db).

An easy workaround to the problem is the use of a protective case or bumper to shield the metal antenna from the skin of your hand. Given that the iPhone 4 is made of two pieces of glass with a metal band in-between that many people have already shattered, I use a case. (I used one on my old iPhone 3G too because I'm clumsy.)

Will you see a problem in Germany? I don't know. I've allways heard that EU countries have great cell signal. In my opinion, part of the U.S. problem is that half of the US carriers use GSM and the other half use CDMA So there are areas where phones could roam on other networks but the technology won't allow it. In the EU, everyone uses GSM, and you have a higher population density too.

Proximity issues are hit and miss. Some folks have problems, others do not. (no problem on our two phones). The 4.1 upgrade did seem to fix issues for many people with problems, but not all.

Hope this helps.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

At the request of the OP this thread is closed.

Thanks all !! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.