My Credit Card Information was stolen...do I have malware (screenshot)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by googs185, Mar 14, 2013.

1. googs185, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

googs185 macrumors newbie

My credit card information and social security number were stolen, apparently from my own computer, a 2011 MacBook Pro, according to the card company, a couple days ago. Does anyone notice any malware in the screenshots?

2. simsaladimbamba

Sort by name to avoid duplicating entries and use the PRINT TO PDF option to create a PDF, easier to read and faster to load then those big screenshots.

For scanning for malware use ClamXav.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, none. It's far more likely your info was gained by hacking your email account or other means, as opposed to anything to do with your computer. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below).

3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.

Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

4. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Might want to take your name out of those shots.

5. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

How do you know it was stolen from your computer? Either it was phishing and you provided someone your info, they hacked your account, or somehow got the information through other means.