My day at the apple store...I see why the i series cpu's are so respected now!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Final Cut, May 11, 2010.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

Went to the apple store today (66th and Broadway New York), with the intention to but the 13" Pro . I was most concerned to look at the screens, which I was not able to because the store is designed awfully, its a glass dome box of extreme glare. The monitors looked very unappealing, really surprised apple would make their machines look so bad. So I figured I do a speed test, even though I thought I would be happy with the core 2. On the 13", I loaded 3 hd movie trailers in quicktime and played them all at once. They played pretty much flawlessly, but expose all windows lagged a bit, and slowed down the movies. I then opened 25 safari windows (with the movies still playing) and each loaded slower and slower. Realizing that this speed test, although way too extreme for realtime use, is a good test for 3D performance (as good as it could get in the store), editing, encoding, etc. I was sad...so I went to check out the 17" i5. OMG. I had the 3 hd movies up, 50 safari windows, and expose did not have ANY lag what so ever. I then opened another 50 finder windows and still perfectly smooth. I am blown away and I must say the only mac for me is the 17" MBP, I fell in love. I did not really notice the difference with the i7, but I am sure real testing would prove me wrong! I was tempted to buy it right there but realized I would rather go tax free/disucounted off ebay (sealed box) or amazon which is way better than the student discount.

2. badtzwang macrumors regular

The tests you are performing have more to do with RAM rather than the Processor.

3. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Those are all simply RAM tests basically.

4. vant macrumors 65816

RAM+GPU. Very little processor work. You should change the title to 'I see why the 330M is better now'.

5. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Except all of the new MacBook Pros have 4GB ram!

6. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly, guess its the 330m that gave it the edge? What is processor intensive then?

7. vant macrumors 65816

Converting, packaging, encoding, etc. Anything that involves a progress bar that is not too related with video. Some games are processor intensive. Most day to day tasks are not.

8. hypermog macrumors regular

Playing 3 HD movies simultaneously will most certainly max out a 2.4 ghz C2D

9. Tanegashima macrumors 6502

No.

The Nvidia can do two at the same time and a C2D can certainly hold the third...

10. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

actually I doubt it was ram or graphics, because my imac 3ghz core 2, 4 gig ram, 8800gs (which is miles better than the 330m) lags like hell when I tried the samthing at home. it was the i5 at work I am sure. why would apple put an i5 in so 1% of users can convert video faster? what your saying is absurd.

11. iBunny macrumors 65816

I wish you people knew more about computer hardware.

Yes, these tests are Ram Heavy however, this is a good indication of processor performance.

The Core i5/i7's ability to process 4 threads of Data as opposed to the Core 2 Duo's 2 threads is significant.

Also, the Core i5/i7's on Die memory controller can fetch and write data to the Ram significantly quicker than the Core 2's old bottlenecked Front side bus system.

12. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks iBunny, I Knew I was not a total idiot.:) The i5/i7 is a revamped structure from core 2...

13. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

14. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

nahh they probably loaded the display ones up to max to impress people like OP

15. brentsg macrumors 68040

16. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

orly?

17. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

lol @ this

18. Garrus macrumors member

i tough that too... only the core i7 is suppose to be hyperthreaded?
    oh wait the highest i5 is too i think?

19. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

The i5 series in the arrandales (mobile dual core nehalems) and clarkdales (desktop dual core nehalems) have hyperthreading.

Only the Lynnfield (desktop quad core nehalems) have it set up to where the i5 variants have hyperthreading disabled. It's all very confusing, intel should have done a better job naming their new cpus.

20. brentsg macrumors 68040

Oh geez, out come the self-righteous dickheads.

Yes I am incorrect, didn't realize Intel decided to put HT back in for the mobile launch.

So basically the i7 has more cache and some additional clockspeed? That's it? I don't see how that deserves a separate naming convention.

21. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Yes it have...

Attached Files:

22. iBunny macrumors 65816

Correct.

I know im a dick, but thats my job. Please download the Internet and read it all before posting again. k thx