My day with the CGHA and the Chicago Blackhawks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Sep 7, 2011.

1. leekohler, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm posting this here because of they great experience I had yesterday with the Blackhawks and our local politicians. I normally would not post this in a public area, but I feel it's necessary. These are the kinds of things that are at risk if Republicans get their way, and will NOT let that happen without a fight. I have worked too hard, and I will NOT let things like this be destroyed by religious fanatics.

As some of you know, I'm a hockey player. I do double duty on a gay team and a straight team, because I feel it's important to lead by example, cross boundaries and bring people together. I am a member of the Chicago Gay Hockey Association as well as the Evanston Men's Hockey League. Both are equally important to me. They have all given me so much.

Yesterday, we held this event with the Blackhawks at the Center on Halsted, which is our gay and lesbian community center. This what I posted in the private forums earlier:

Here are some pics as well as Link to the Blackhawks site. Look at these kids. They deserve to feel safe in their own country. They do not deserve to feel afraid. They do not deserve to have to be subjected to the likes of Rick Perry, Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann.

Somebody asked me earlier in another thread- "Why so angry at the Republicans?" This is why. We have worked too hard and too many people have suffered too much. Republican politicians would like nothing more than to see things like this destroyed. I'm sick of it. These are our children, for god's sake.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/gallery.htm?&location=/photos/community

Some of you have asked me before what I do to make things better. Well, here it is. I, as well as my team, work our asses off to help make things better for the kids. What really makes me sad is that this has to be in the political forum.

Attached Files:

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- The CGHA is a hockey team that specifically is for gay players. We also have straight team members as well. The whole point is to provide a place where LGBT people can feel safe playing hockey. Hopefully, that is not too confusing.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So, a gay person isn't safe playing hockey in another league?

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Many times, no. Sports are the last frontier for gay people. Sports have been our toughest place to fight homophobia, and fortunately, we are working to make that better.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's really cool Lee. Things like this in the world are important.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I just felt like I finally needed to bring this to light on the political forum. I talk about this stuff a lot and I just thought it was time to show what I do with the community. These are the kinds of things at stake in the next election.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Even in a progressive place like Toronto, Canada, homophobia is a massive problem in sport/recreation/fitness.

11. leekohler, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's changing here in hockey very quickly. When I got involved with the Evanston Men's Hockey League, they were very welcoming. I've been told it's because I'm a very talented goaltender and they needed me (that's what they said, not me. I felt retarded at first. They saw me play goal in floor hockey first and thought I would be good on the ice. And to be clear, I did play seven shutouts in my floor hockey league). The Evanston Men's Hockey League took me under their wing and have helped me so much. They built me up along with the CGHA. I was so scared to play goal on the ice, but now it's my home. Now it's my turn to give this to others.

All this happened because the CGHA provided that chance for me to play floor hockey in the first place. A straight friend from the Evanston Men's Hockey League saw me play on the floor and would not let up until I agreed to play on the ice. I resisted for the longest time because I was afraid of ice hockey, especially if some jerk had a problem with gay people in the league. He assured me that he would kill anyone if they messed with me. :) He lived up to that. Before I even started, he banned all homophobic language from the locker room. "Guys, we have a very talented goalie starting with us. He's gay. I don't want to hear one negative word about gay people in this locker room. He has never been on the ice, but I've seen him on the floor. He's good. You make him feel comfortable here or I'll beat the crap out of you. You help him out and do what you can to make him better and help him learn to skate." They did. They all did. It's been an incredible journey ever since.

Now, I play goal with those guys whenever they ask, which is a lot! The guys have become very good friends and ask me to play with them a few times a week.

And now, a few short months later, I'm playing at Johnny's IceHouse, the most competitive adult league in the Chicago area with the CGHA. My friend said to me, "I knew you were good. You proved it. Look at what you've done in five months. I'm so proud of you."

These are the kinds of barriers we can break down if we try.

Republican politicians hate this kind of thing. They would like nothing more than for homophobia to continue. Does anyone think Rick Perry, Michelle Bachmann, or even Mitt Romney would believe any of this was a good thing? Be honest. I fully expect the silence to be deafening.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Right picture, bald guy, top right.

Bottom picture, same hairless guy, top left.

What is the red blaze on your white "t"??

13. leekohler, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

leekohler

Haha! You think it's a maple leaf, don't you? It's the reverse of our home jersey. It's our away jersey when we play out of town. Our home jerseys are red.

Oh- and it's the Chicago skyline. Here's a fun pic from a scrimmage at Johnny's IceHouse last week. We won 2-1. I wanted a shutout, but oh well.

Attached Files:

14. iJohnHenry, Sep 8, 2011

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No actually, I didn't even consider it.

Christ, even among gays you have to be different.

Didn't you get the memo?

You sure don't offer a shooter much to aim at.

No wonder you get so many Hail-Mary bruises. ;)

15. leekohler, Sep 8, 2011

leekohler

Hey- I'm 6'3" and about 200 pounds- close to ideal goalie stats. Don't get too close either. I'll trip you when the ref isn't looking. ;)

I notice our Republican friends are very silent. Word of warning- you come after me, my community or our kids, you can expect a fight. We're not taking s*** from you anymore. You're a bunch of cowards who pick on people who have almost no defenses. You're a pathetic excuse for what once was a decent political party.

16. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Take cover everyone, he's armed and dangerous!
    [​IMG]

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The silence from Republicans in this thread speaks volumes.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm my experience the ones who make the most threats are often the weakest. Otherwise I hope you had a nice time with your hockey league.

19. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I see your point. It's strange that people who aren't in 100% lockstep with you and everything you say you believe have stopped responding to your posts. It's not like you give them a reason to blow off your posts and threads, such as painting a group with the.world's.largest.brush. No, never.

EDIT: Looks like obeygiant said it much more succinctly than I did just before I hit the "post" button.

20. leekohler, Sep 8, 2011

leekohler

You have lived up to your rep brilliantly. You should agree with me 100% on this issue. But all you can do is attack my character instead of speaking to the issue. Very predictable of you and quite pathetic.

What exactly would you disagree with here? I want you to tell me.

Are you going to tell me that the Republican Party is now suddenly for gay rights? Really? Do you want me to post their platform for you again? Would you like me to post quotes from Rick Perry, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann and Rick Santorum? What is it going to take to get you to realize that the Republican Party has become a cesspool? What exactly, do they have to do at this point?

These are the faces of the people they're attacking. You want to tell these kids that they and their parents don't deserve equal protection under the law? Could you look one of these kids in the face and say that?

21. kavika411, Sep 8, 2011

kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Lee, have ever considered, for even one fleeting moment, that there are issues outside of gay rights? Seriously. Even once?

I have said in other threads that I am pro-gay rights. And you know what, I am pro-choice on abortion. Oh, gasp. Yes, me. A [with an evil voice] conservative.

But you know what, Lee? (I'm going to put this in all caps so that maybe you'll hear me.) I VOTE ON FISCAL ISSUES. I DON'T GIVE A **** ABOUT SOCIAL ISSUES. I HAVE GONE TO GREAT LENGTHS IN OTHER THREADS TO SAY WHY I LEAN CONSERVATIVE AS OPPOSED TO LIBERAL ON FISCAL POLICY.

So sue me because I vote for what I believe to be right on fiscal issues and not myopically on gay issues. It absolutely burned you up that it was me - yes, little old me from Alabama - that was the first to point out and laud the fact that Apple's new CEO is gay. Yes, gay. And you know what, like I said that day, I think it's fantastic.

But stop humoring yourself that you are advancing any gay causes with your ******** hate rhetoric against a broadly painted "Rupublican" strawman. Every.single.time I read one of your diatribes against a supposed homogenous group of gay-hating conservatives I become just-a-little-less inclined to elevate social issues when I pull the lever in the ballot box.

EDIT: And you can keep editing your post, Lee - trying to mitigate your hate-ridden tone, and to add as many rhetorical questions you'd like. I really give a **** any more about your narrow view of the world.

22. leekohler, Sep 8, 2011

leekohler

Kavika- you vote for Republicans and you vote against gay rights. Period. Own it. And you tell me how I should feel about your party. How would you feel? And if you're voting for Republicans because of fiscal issues- well, they've certainly pulled the wool over your eyes. You must not be paying attention.

And no- there is NOTHING more important than civil rights. If we all don't start on a level playing field, there isn't much else that matters. But hey- as long as you get yours. Money is more important than civil rights, yes? You want to stand in that gym and say that to these kids? I'll buy your plane ticket here.

And do you want me to post the Republican Party platform that you support with your vote? Then we can talk about hate.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Here we had a nice, warm, fuzzy thread going, and you just had to piss on their shoes. :rolleyes:

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh well. What's done is done.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ah, I was the first one to respond in spite of your over the top rhetoric.