Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
The iPod got me to get rid of the tons of CD’s. Ebook readers, followed by the iPad got me to get rid of piles of books, magazines, and newspapers.

Apple had released the original iPad Pro 9.7” with pencil, and I saw it helping me to get rid of piles of notepads, and it did. I was also hoping it would eventually get me to the point of not needing to bring my MacBook Pro out of the house. It didn’t get me there, the Office apps were still more for mobile, and the screen was still not large enough to work on Spreadsheets the way I like.

A year and a half later, Apple announced the iPad Pro 10.5 inch. More screen real estate and power, Pro-motion, and better feedback from the Apple Pencil, I was all over it. It was definitely a capable device. I did see the improvements over the 9.7 in my real life experience. I appreciated the fact that the size and weight were comparable to the 9.7. I enjoyed it a lot, but I was never 100% satisfied to the point of feeling confident to leave the MacBook Pro home. I was hoping this would be the iPad that could tide me over for more than a few years. There were shortcomings to me, and they are purely subjective.

The accessories I had for the 10.5 were the Pencil, the Apple Smart Keyboard, the Apple Leather Cover, I had purchased a Rear Shell from Amazon to protect the back, and I’ve always kept my iPad’s in sleeves. When I had the rear shell and one of the covers, it made it heavy. I never bonded with that rear cover so I rarely used it which drove me nuts leaving the back exposed. The keyboard also made it heavy, and that bump made it too thick. The typing area was also a bit floppy, didn’t sit flat on a table or desk, and not comfortable to type on my lap. I regularly swapped the covers and had wished there was something better. I considered the Logitech, but that also bulked it up too much. As silly as it sounds, the accessories are one of the main reasons for my feeling of lacking on the 10.5.

I think the 11 inch may had been the device Apple had in mind from the start when they developed the iPad Pro. I purchased the 1 TB model with LTE on Verizon in Space Gray. They went back to their creative design roots with the body. The Space gray is a darker shade then the 10.5 and 9.7. I love the industrial look with the straight edges. I don’t know if it is the thinness, or the balance of weight, but I have not been finding any fatigue from holding it too long with the Keyboard Folio. I love how even the new bezels are, they are thick enough to hold without feeling I am blocking the screen, and thin enough to enjoy how much more screen there is. I really like it a lot. I have not been seeing the perceivable difference in overall speed, the 10.5 was very capable. The LTE network does seem to be faster. Pages load quicker, apps download faster....I don’t know if its in my mind, but there is a difference in the modem or antennas. I appreciated the 1 TB option. I don’t anticipate running out of space for a long time. I have a LOT of media, and I like storing it local vs the cloud, so this was a big deal for me. The extra 2 GB of RAM didn’t hurt either.

The new accessories seem to be a love/hate for many. I am very happy with the new portfolio cases. I ordered both the Smart Cover and the Smart Keyboard cover. I am really happy Apple got rid of the bump on the ASK. I didn’t know how I’d feel about the keys being on the outside when folded over. I am used to all my covers having the flat feel on the outside, but I got used to it quick. It was different then what I am used to but adapted quick. Being much thinner then the previous ASK’s made the compromise worth it. The Smart Cover is REAL thin and has the folds like the previous covers, but the ASK has been the primary cover, and I ultimately returned the Smart Cover. Without the bump, it keeps the overall balance of the iPad, it stays light, and it is nice and stiff where it sits. It types similar to the previous versions and has the same material. Unlike the last versions, I actually can type while on my lap and most importantly for me, it offers rear protection without any weight, or increasing the footprint. If you like typing on the display, go with the regular Smart Cover. If you want a really good typing experience, go with the keyboard.

The pencil is great, and having the flat spot and a place to hold it on the iPad were a big draw for me, and a big bonus that it charged that way. I like that it is shorter and lighter. I also like the matte finish, it feels like holding an actual pencil. I also like the 2 tap function, and I look forward to seeing what else they add to the taps. I don’t draw, but I take a lot of detailed notes. For me the killer app is GoodNotes. I have all my notebooks organized by different groups, and I haven’t had the need to use paper since I purchased the 9.7” original Pro.

The single only issue I have is it appears the screen glass may be too thin. There were some threads discussing it, and I went to the Apple Store and confirmed it happens on every demo model too.....when putting some pressure on some parts of the screen, there is a blooming effect. You can see a slight flex while using little force. It concerned me until I confirmed it is the side effect of thin glass and hasn’t affected the overall experience.

I have had this iPad Pro since release morning. It was exactly what I was expecting before I purchased. I am thinking this is the iPad I am going to hold onto and use often for a long time. I have found the battery life to perform the same or a little better than the 10.5. The sound is better, I have listened to music and movies it sounds great. It offers loud volume, I have always turned the volume all the way up on these devices, this is the first time I turn it down. Face ID works a little better than my iPhone. I appreciate that it works in every orientation. I have no complaints whatsoever on this. With the larger screen, and Excel being more usable these days, I may have finally found the iPad Pro that allows me to leave the MacBook Pro at home without regret.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
The iPod got me to get rid of the tons of CD’s. Ebook readers, followed by the iPad got me to get rid of piles of books, magazines, and newspapers.

Apple had released the original iPad Pro 9.7” with pencil, and I saw it helping me to get rid of piles of notepads, and it did. I was also hoping it would eventually get me to the point of not needing to bring my MacBook Pro out of the house. It didn’t get me there, the Office apps were still more for mobile, and the screen was still not large enough to work on Spreadsheets the way I like.

A year and a half later, Apple announced the iPad Pro 10.5 inch. More screen real estate and power, Pro-motion, and better feedback from the Apple Pencil, I was all over it. It was definitely a capable device. I did see the improvements over the 9.7 in my real life experience. I appreciated the fact that the size and weight were comparable to the 9.7. I enjoyed it a lot, but I was never 100% satisfied to the point of feeling confident to leave the MacBook Pro home. I was hoping this would be the iPad that could tide me over for more than a few years. There were shortcomings to me, and they are purely subjective.

The accessories I had for the 10.5 were the Pencil, the Apple Smart Keyboard, the Apple Leather Cover, I had purchased a Rear Shell from Amazon to protect the back, and I’ve always kept my iPad’s in sleeves. When I had the rear shell and one of the covers, it made it heavy. I never bonded with that rear cover so I rarely used it which drove me nuts leaving the back exposed. The keyboard also made it heavy, and that bump made it too thick. The typing area was also a bit floppy, didn’t sit flat on a table or desk, and not comfortable to type on my lap. I regularly swapped the covers and had wished there was something better. I considered the Logitech, but that also bulked it up too much. As silly as it sounds, the accessories are one of the main reasons for my feeling of lacking on the 10.5.

I think the 11 inch may had been the device Apple had in mind from the start when they developed the iPad Pro. I purchased the 1 TB model with LTE on Verizon in Space Gray. They went back to their creative design roots with the body. The Space gray is a darker shade then the 10.5 and 9.7. I love the industrial look with the straight edges. I don’t know if it is the thinness, or the balance of weight, but I have not been finding any fatigue from holding it too long with the Keyboard Folio. I love how even the new bezels are, they are thick enough to hold without feeling I am blocking the screen, and thin enough to enjoy how much more screen there is. I really like it a lot. I have not been seeing the perceivable difference in overall speed, the 10.5 was very capable. The LTE network does seem to be faster. Pages load quicker, apps download faster....I don’t know if its in my mind, but there is a difference in the modem or antennas. I appreciated the 1 TB option. I don’t anticipate running out of space for a long time. I have a LOT of media, and I like storing it local vs the cloud, so this was a big deal for me. The extra 2 GB of RAM didn’t hurt either.

The new accessories seem to be a love/hate for many. I am very happy with the new portfolio cases. I ordered both the Smart Cover and the Smart Keyboard cover. I am really happy Apple got rid of the bump on the ASK. I didn’t know how I’d feel about the keys being on the outside when folded over. I am used to all my covers having the flat feel on the outside, but I got used to it quick. It was different then what I am used to but adapted quick. Being much thinner then the previous ASK’s made the compromise worth it. The Smart Cover is REAL thin and has the folds like the previous covers, but the ASK has been the primary cover, and I ultimately returned the Smart Cover. Without the bump, it keeps the overall balance of the iPad, it stays light, and it is nice and stiff where it sits. It types similar to the previous versions and has the same material. Unlike the last versions, I actually can type while on my lap and most importantly for me, it offers rear protection without any weight, or increasing the footprint. If you like typing on the display, go with the regular Smart Cover. If you want a really good typing experience, go with the keyboard.

The pencil is great, and having the flat spot and a place to hold it on the iPad were a big draw for me, and a big bonus that it charged that way. I like that it is shorter and lighter. I also like the matte finish, it feels like holding an actual pencil. I also like the 2 tap function, and I look forward to seeing what else they add to the taps. I don’t draw, but I take a lot of detailed notes. For me the killer app is GoodNotes. I have all my notebooks organized by different groups, and I haven’t had the need to use paper since I purchased the 9.7” original Pro.

The single only issue I have is it appears the screen glass may be too thin. There were some threads discussing it, and I went to the Apple Store and confirmed it happens on every demo model too.....when putting some pressure on some parts of the screen, there is a blooming effect. You can see a slight flex while using little force. It concerned me until I confirmed it is the side effect of thin glass and hasn’t affected the overall experience.

I have had this iPad Pro since release morning. It was exactly what I was expecting before I purchased. I am thinking this is the iPad I am going to hold onto and use often for a long time. I have found the battery life to perform the same or a little better than the 10.5. The sound is better, I have listened to music and movies it sounds great. It offers loud volume, I have always turned the volume all the way up on these devices, this is the first time I turn it down. Face ID works a little better than my iPhone. I appreciate that it works in every orientation. I have no complaints whatsoever on this. With the larger screen, and Excel being more usable these days, I may have finally found the iPad Pro that allows me to leave the MacBook Pro at home without regret.
Nice review!

Reactions: Ravi_MR and DougFNJ

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
When I worked at Apple I believed in the iPad Pro line. The last line in your review sold a lot of iPads for me. Not because I was selling them it was because I believed I could leave my mbp at home, as I did.

Of course it’s dependent on how you use the MBP. There was a handful of customers that needed a full blown laptop but not many.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
When I worked at Apple I believed in the iPad Pro line. The last line in your review sold a lot of iPads for me. Not because I was selling them it was because I believed I could leave my mbp at home, as I did.

Of course it’s dependent on how you use the MBP. There was a handful of customers that needed a full blown laptop but not many.

It really feels like they are right on the cusp but holding back a little. Every iteration gets closer and closer.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013

The question, of course, is (well, at least for me) whether the cost differential is worth it? I am agnostic about FaceID/ TouchID, both units sport Pro Motion and True Tone, both have very similar battery life. Yes the thinner bezels are fantastic on the 11” and it also weighs marginally, very marginally, less than the 10.5”. But then again, the 11” does not have a Smart Cover like the 10.5” does. It has one with an integrated back cover, which may potentially make it a trifle heavier than its predecessor. Of course, one big advantage is the second edition of the Pencil, which is a big deal, particularly, where charging method is concerned.

I have been toying with the idea of turning in my 10.5” and moving to the 11” but the economics is simply not making sense for me yet. Maybe I will wait till the next refresh (2020) and see how the new 11” turns out. By then, my 10.5” would be around 3 years old.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
The question, of course, is (well, at least for me) whether the cost differential is worth it? I am agnostic about FaceID/ TouchID, both units sport Pro Motion and True Tone, both have very similar battery life. Yes the thinner bezels are fantastic on the 11” and it also weighs marginally, very marginally, less than the 10.5”. But then again, the 11” does not have a Smart Cover like the 10.5” does. It has one with an integrated back cover, which may potentially make it a trifle heavier than its predecessor. Of course, one big advantage is the second edition of the Pencil, which is a big deal, particularly, where charging method is concerned.

I have been toying with the idea of turning in my 10.5” and moving to the 11” but the economics is simply not making sense for me yet. Maybe I will wait till the next refresh (2020) and see how the new 11” turns out. By then, my 10.5” would be around 3 years old.

That cost differential is very subjective. I like shiny new, and I typically do the upgrades when new devices release.

This is however the most satisfied I have been with my IOS devices as I have ever been with the 11” and iPhone XS Max. I am finding nothing lacking in either. The accessories make it perfect for me on the 11”. The regular Smart Cover folio does not add any weight at all, it will not be something you notice on any level, and you get the perk of rear protection, and it flattens the camera bump. The Keyboard Folio totally makes it for me. I use it all the time. The Pencil both charging and holding on the side is just flat out handy when taking a lot of notes on projects I’m working on. I’m lefty, so I tend to turn it upside down and keep the Pencil on the left side for easy access.

So for me, this was expensive. REALLY expensive. I of course sold my 10.5 to offset some of the cost. These updates to me were and are worth the price. I had not felt any regret or buyers remorse.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I posted this in another thread but thought it was appropriate here too:

I said:
On a scale of 0-10 in 2019 for my type of usage:

11” iPad Pro: 10
10.5” iPad Pro: 9
10.5” iPad Air 3: 8 <— Loses points for no ProMotion and no quad speakers
9.7” iPad Air 2: 6
9.7” iPad Air: 4

I’m very happy with my 10.5” Pro purchase last week, given that the 11” would have cost me 52% more.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
That cost differential is very subjective. I like shiny new, and I typically do the upgrades when new devices release.

This is however the most satisfied I have been with my IOS devices as I have ever been with the 11” and iPhone XS Max. I am finding nothing lacking in either. The accessories make it perfect for me on the 11”. The regular Smart Cover folio does not add any weight at all, it will not be something you notice on any level, and you get the perk of rear protection, and it flattens the camera bump. The Keyboard Folio totally makes it for me. I use it all the time. The Pencil both charging and holding on the side is just flat out handy when taking a lot of notes on projects I’m working on. I’m lefty, so I tend to turn it upside down and keep the Pencil on the left side for easy access.

So for me, this was expensive. REALLY expensive. I of course sold my 10.5 to offset some of the cost. These updates to me were and are worth the price. I had not felt any regret or buyers remorse.

While I understand what you are saying, I consider a “cost differential” in economic/ financial terms. In that “hard cash” sense, it does not seem worth it to me. The reason I am still considering the 11” even now though is because of precisely the “subjectivity” that you seem to be referring to.

Let me put it in another way: Do I want it? Yes. Can I afford it? Yes. Do I need it? No. Does it make sense to me to buy it in a purely functional sense? No.

But, of course, and this applies as much to you as anyone else, YMMV.

Reactions: hemon

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The 11-inch Pro is the perfect iPad. The only downside is that it's quite heavy when the Smart Keyboard folio is attached to it.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I posted this in another thread but thought it was appropriate here too:

I’m very happy with my 10.5” Pro purchase last week, given that the 11” would have cost me 52% more.

While I understand what you are saying, I consider a “cost differential” in economic/ financial terms. In that “hard cash” sense, it does not seem worth it to me. The reason I am still considering the 11” even now though is because of precisely the “subjectivity” that you seem to be referring to.

Let me put it in another way: Do I want it? Yes. Can I afford it? Yes. Do I need it? No. Does it make sense to me to buy it in a purely functional sense? No.

But, of course, and this applies as much to you as anyone else, YMMV.

I guess this is where Apple’s new pricing structure is unfortunately taking away that “no brainer” annual upgrade decision for geeks like me. My wife stopped asking me years ago, “are you going to upgrade to the new iPhone/iPad this year? The answer was always a given. I paid the high dollars, and next iterations may be the first time I skip. The good thing is, these devices are THAT good to me, and I am now so satisfied with what I have. That’s the ultimate value I look at, is it worth it to me? These are the big annual personal purchases I’ve always made that one time a year. Over $1,000......now I have to start thinking. And those are the perfect questions to ask yourself. Want? Always. Need? I can talk myself into needing anything lol. Does it make sense? That answer may start changing now.

The 11-inch Pro is the perfect iPad. The only downside is that it's quite heavy when the Smart Keyboard folio is attached to it.

It can get a little fatiguing with the weight with the Keyboard folio, I don’t mind it 90% of the time. But that 10%, that’s where the magnets are great, just pull that sucker off.

Reactions: max2 and haruhiko

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I just paid 499$ for the latest iPad mini which has an A12 SoC, a nice laminated screen with P3, light chassis, LTE connection, 64GB of storage.

Then I checked my invoice for my iPad Pro 11-inch 256GB with cellular: USD1,099 for the iPad itself, Smart keyboard folio $179, Apple Pencil 2 $129 = 2.8 times my iPad mini.

I'm like a fool now. Of course, 64GB is not really enough if I only have the iPad mini, and I really love the Smart keyboard of the iPad Pro. But the cost difference is really really big.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

It’s all relative though. On the days where I run to work, I carry my 11” iPad Pro with Keyboard Folio and pencil. This gives me an insanely light, ultraportable & powerful machine which I really don’t notice I’m carrying.

Reactions: DougFNJ

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It’s all relative though. On the days where I run to work, I carry my 11” iPad Pro with Keyboard Folio and pencil. This gives me an insanely light, ultraportable & powerful machine which I really don’t notice I’m carrying.
Yes. the 11-inch iPad Pro is the device I bring with me to work. So much power in such a beautiful package. Weight is not a big concern for the work commute. But in the weekend, it's the new iPad mini.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I wasn’t going to buy a new iPad, mainly due to the rising prices, to replace my (gen. 1) 12.9” iPad Pro — I have a Surface Book 2 which does good double duty as a laptop and a tablet. But I guess my wife heard me complain about the dying battery on my old iPad Pro and I must have mentioned the weight with the case & keyboard a couple of times... she surprised me with a trip to the Apple Store and a new 11” iPad Pro.

Gotta say, this is a pretty slick package. Slightly smaller than my wife’s 10.5” iPad Pro but with a screen 1/2” bigger... way, way lighter than my 12.9” gen. 1 with the smart keyboard and rear case... and the 120Hz screen is amazing (my first iPad with one). Feels a little small after getting so used to 12.9” and 13.5” screens on my old iPad Pro and Surface Book, but so compact and light.

Spent the weekend getting it set up for work. May still need to bring the laptop with me when I travel out of town for work, but for meetings and such, I may be able to leave it in the hotel room and work off the iPad.

I feel like Michael Corleone trying to get out of the Apple mafia... Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

Reactions: ascender

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I just paid 499$ for the latest iPad mini which has an A12 SoC, a nice laminated screen with P3, light chassis, LTE connection, 64GB of storage.

Then I checked my invoice for my iPad Pro 11-inch 256GB with cellular: USD1,099 for the iPad itself, Smart keyboard folio $179, Apple Pencil 2 $129 = 2.8 times my iPad mini.

I'm like a fool now. Of course, 64GB is not really enough if I only have the iPad mini, and I really love the Smart keyboard of the iPad Pro. But the cost difference is really really big.

You sound like as much an Apple addict as I am lol

Look at it like this, if you just bought a loaded up 15” MacBook Pro for over $7,000, and a few months later purchased the 12 inch MacBook for $1299 for weekends, would you question what you spent for the MacBook Pro?

Reactions: haruhiko

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I wasn’t going to buy a new iPad, mainly due to the rising prices, to replace my (gen. 1) 12.9” iPad Pro — I have a Surface Book 2 which does good double duty as a laptop and a tablet. But I guess my wife heard me complain about the dying battery on my old iPad Pro and I must have mentioned the weight with the case & keyboard a couple of times... she surprised me with a trip to the Apple Store and a new 11” iPad Pro.

Gotta say, this is a pretty slick package. Slightly smaller than my wife’s 10.5” iPad Pro but with a screen 1/2” bigger... way, way lighter than my 12.9” gen. 1 with the smart keyboard and rear case... and the 120Hz screen is amazing (my first iPad with one). Feels a little small after getting so used to 12.9” and 13.5” screens on my old iPad Pro and Surface Book, but so compact and light.

Spent the weekend getting it set up for work. May still need to bring the laptop with me when I travel out of town for work, but for meetings and such, I may be able to leave it in the hotel room and work off the iPad.

I feel like Michael Corleone trying to get out of the Apple mafia... Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

Congratulations! I had considered a Surface when I was purchasing the 10.5. I love the idea of a full PC Operating system on a tablet, but I just could never go back to Windows. With Office finally getting more robust, and the iPad getting more powerful, I’m wondering if it will be possible 1 day to go 100% tablet/phone.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You sound like as much an Apple addict as I am lol

Look at it like this, if you just bought a loaded up 15” MacBook Pro for over $7,000, and a few months later purchased the 12 inch MacBook for $1299 for weekends, would you question what you spent for the MacBook Pro?
At least they don't have the same or very similar CPUs. The A12 is actually close to MacBook Pro performance (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hey @DougFNJ Nice review man! I agree with your impressions of the 11” iPad Pro, although this is the first iPad I buy to try to replace my MacBook Pro. We have a regular iPad on the couch, but it is mainly for checking things on-line, games, and those things. I never thought I would have said this, but this 11” iPad Pro may be able to replace my MacBook Pro.

I’m on my second week testing it, so I’d like to figure out some things before making the decision on keeping it or returning it and waiting for the next MacBook Pro (you can see my thread here). You said you like storing the content locally, right? And that you don’t like to use clouds.

Please explain me how do you import or manage files to have them locally, on your iPad storage, without using the cloud. I have a computer, an old MacBook Pro, on my home and I’d like to be able to transfer big files locally. Sure, I have lots of Hard Drives, but the USB-C on the iPad doesn’t allow me to use them. So the only way I find is uploading all the content to my small iCloud Drive, downloading it on my iPad Pro, opening it on another app with a File System in order to not lose that content when I erase it from iCloud, and finally, delete it from iCloud.

Is a very annoying procedure to get files on my iPad local storage. I’d like to know if you, Doug, or any other forum member reading this, has come to the optimal solution before Apple -hopefully- allows us to use external storage via USB-C on iOS 13.

Thank you!

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Hey @Populus, thank you very much. I enjoy doing these write ups. Kind of reaffirms the reasons why I buy the things I do.

When I talk about the Cloud, I don’t like my music, photos, and videos to download every time I want to listen or view. I download and store everything.

Regarding everything else, I typically use cloud services for synching my work. So if I’m doing a spreadsheet, I’ll store it in the cloud and back it up on my MacBook. This way I can access it as needed and make changes on all devices, but I always have that hard copy residing somewhere. Files app allows you access to all your cloud services and on board storage. Is that what you mean?

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hey @Populus, thank you very much. I enjoy doing these write ups. Kind of reaffirms the reasons why I buy the things I do.

When I talk about the Cloud, I don’t like my music, photos, and videos to download every time I want to listen or view. I download and store everything.

Regarding everything else, I typically use cloud services for synching my work. So if I’m doing a spreadsheet, I’ll store it in the cloud and back it up on my MacBook. This way I can access it as needed and make changes on all devices, but I always have that hard copy residing somewhere. Files app allows you access to all your cloud services and on board storage. Is that what you mean?

Thanks Dough, not exactly. I was meaning a way to quickly passing those files (videos, Documents) to your local iPad storage. The Files app seems limited to cloud storage only, and I was only asking if you knew a better way to pass files from a computer on your local network to your iPad, that doesn’t require any cloud service. Right now I have to upload to the cloud, download it, copy it to another folder and delete the file from the cloud. Those 4 steps are a bit excessive for me to just copy a file to my iPad.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Thanks Dough, not exactly. I was meaning a way to quickly passing those files (videos, Documents) to your local iPad storage. The Files app seems limited to cloud storage only, and I was only asking if you knew a better way to pass files from a computer on your local network to your iPad, that doesn’t require any cloud service. Right now I have to upload to the cloud, download it, copy it to another folder and delete the file from the cloud. Those 4 steps are a bit excessive for me to just copy a file to my iPad.

I got confused on that too. Files app also has on board storage. Tap Browse then tap locations. You’ll see your cloud locations and “on my iPad.” Location. You could create and customize files and folders in there, and drag and drop files and folders between locations. It’s not as robust as your computer, but it is useful.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I got confused on that too. Files app also has on board storage. Tap Browse then tap locations. You’ll see your cloud locations and “on my iPad.” Location. You could create and customize files and folders in there, and drag and drop files and folders between locations. It’s not as robust as your computer, but it is useful.
I can create and store that content on the iPad, fine. But what if I want to copy files I have on my MacBook Pro, or other computer connected to my local network?

Let’s forget for a moment about cloud storage. As I said, that’s apparently the only way to import files: Uploading from computer to cloud, then downloading from the cloud to the iPad, then copying that file to the local storage in order to delete it from the cloud (I only have 2GB free on iCloud, as I have the basic storage, so in order to use the Cloud as a bridge to transfer my files from the Mac to the iPad, I have to delete them from the cloud afterwards, otherwise there is no space left on my iCloud).

So, lets forget about cloud storage. How can i transfer a file from the Mac to the local storage of the iPad? I cannot use a pen-drive, hard drive, or any other external storage, because iOS is so closed it won’t allow me to drag and drop files from an external storage. I am trying to do it through my local WiFi network, but so far, I am not capable of dragging files from my Mac (which has all the permissions and it is open to be accessed from the network) to my local iPad storage. With VLC Player I can search my Mac, but it only allows me to stream the media, not copy the files to my iPad.

I hope my frustrations managing local content are now more clear. Actually it is nothing new, a lot of people are still complaining about it and hoping iOS 13 will bring us a proper finder. But if I am missing something to easily drag and drop files from a computer to the iPad, I’m open to listen (read) how it can be done.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I can create and store that content on the iPad, fine. But what if I want to copy files I have on my MacBook Pro, or other computer connected to my local network?

Let’s forget for a moment about cloud storage. As I said, that’s apparently the only way to import files: Uploading from computer to cloud, then downloading from the cloud to the iPad, then copying that file to the local storage in order to delete it from the cloud (I only have 2GB free on iCloud, as I have the basic storage, so in order to use the Cloud as a bridge to transfer my files from the Mac to the iPad, I have to delete them from the cloud afterwards, otherwise there is no space left on my iCloud).

So, lets forget about cloud storage. How can i transfer a file from the Mac to the local storage of the iPad? I cannot use a pen-drive, hard drive, or any other external storage, because iOS is so closed it won’t allow me to drag and drop files from an external storage. I am trying to do it through my local WiFi network, but so far, I am not capable of dragging files from my Mac (which has all the permissions and it is open to be accessed from the network) to my local iPad storage. With VLC Player I can search my Mac, but it only allows me to stream the media, not copy the files to my iPad.

I hope my frustrations managing local content are now more clear. Actually it is nothing new, a lot of people are still complaining about it and hoping iOS 13 will bring us a proper finder. But if I am missing something to easily drag and drop files from a computer to the iPad, I’m open to listen (read) how it can be done.
I guess you need some third party apps that support iTunes file sharing like GoodReader, Adobe Acrobat, Documents etc. if you're using the latest USB-C iPad Pros, be sure to buy a USB 3.1 Gen 2 USB-C cable so that files transfer at 10Gbps (1.25GB/s).

AirDrop is another convenient method of transferring photos and smaller files.

Reactions: Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.