Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Potatochobit

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
exactly 'what' did you upgrade?

clean out your computer with a can of duster, the vent is behind the hinge where the screen meets the keyboard.

afmbp

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
London/Milan
Hi,

I was wondering if its safe/ good idea to download the new Yosemite update on my Macbook Pro 2011 which has recently started to suffer from graphics card failure?

The problem is especially evident at the start up, generally my mac will shut down when asleep and when I attempt a normal startup I will get a pink screen.

I have found that this can only be resolved by attempting multiple different startups (verbose, sing user reboot, NVPRAM, SMRC...) until it switches on again to a blue/ grey scree.

Do you think I should attempt to download Yosemite? or will it only cause further problems....

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi,

I was wondering if its safe/ good idea to download the new Yosemite update on my Macbook Pro 2011 which has recently started to suffer from graphics card failure?

The problem is especially evident at the start up, generally my mac will shut down when asleep and when I attempt a normal startup I will get a pink screen.

I have found that this can only be resolved by attempting multiple different startups (verbose, sing user reboot, NVPRAM, SMRC...) until it switches on again to a blue/ grey scree.

Do you think I should attempt to download Yosemite? or will it only cause further problems....

Since the problem has nothing to do with the software, it can't really damage anything. A failing GPU would fail even if you'd manage to put Windows 95 on your machine.

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
I upgraded to Yosemite, that is correct. Fans have been blazing.

my cpu is at 95% idle

16gbs of memory with over 8 free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.