Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Is there really no way to avoid first installing Lion, if going the internet recovery route? I've googled back and forth and followed the advice I can find, and all I get is Lion regardless of what keys I hold down when starting up the thing. (Computer originally came with OS version prior to Lion; Snow Leopard maybe? I can't remember any longer.)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Can you boot the MBP right now?

If you can't -- and if this is the reason you're trying to re-install -- my advice would be:
"Any port in a storm".

Get the thing working again.
Doesn't matter WHICH OS is on it.

Then... move on from there.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Can you boot the MBP right now?
Nah, I reformatted it, as I'm going to donate it to charity.

I could make a USB key with the OS (I've done it before) and boot off of that, but it means more work than I'd prefer. :p Internet recovery is more convenient - had it worked satisfactorily that is. I'll just hand the computer over to the charity people, let them finish fixing it up...

PieVsCake

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2018
Nah, I reformatted it, as I'm going to donate it to charity.

I could make a USB key with the OS (I've done it before) and boot off of that, but it means more work than I'd prefer. :p Internet recovery is more convenient - had it worked satisfactorily that is. I'll just hand the computer over to the charity people, let them finish fixing it up...

If your going to donate it to charity. It would be better to give it to them in "original" condition. Let them decide what they want to do with the hardware. Saves everyone time in the end.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
It would be better to give it to them in "original" condition.
Eh, no. I'm not installing snow leopard (or w/e) back onto this thing, THAT would be doing them a disservice; there haven't been any security fixes for that version in years. Anyway, it's my laptop; they'll get it with the OS I install on it. They can take it or leave it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Internet recovery will install whatever version of MacOS originally shipped with the machine.

I find this annoying too, but can understand why; Apple doesn't want to be accused of "forcing people to upgrade" their Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.