My Experience Exchanging iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CJLevinsk22, Oct 16, 2013.

1. CJLevinsk22 macrumors member

CJLevinsk22

So I was one of the nuts that stood outside my local Apple Store in Cincinnati on launch day. I was around #40 in line, and thought at the time I would definitely get the Silver AT&T iPhone I wanted. Sure enough, I was disappointed when I had to walk away with a Space Gray. Apple store employees were sympathetic, and encouraged me to come back within 30 days to exchange it for the color I want.

After 3 weeks of checking on inventory, I continued to strike out. On a whim, I called my local AT&T store, who happened to have it in stock! I explained my situation, and AT&T said as long as Apple "Restored my upgrade" when I returned the phone, there should be no issues.

When I went to the Apple Store, that's where I hit my first snag. The handheld device they use informed the Rep that I was within Apple's 30 day window, but beyond AT&T's 14 day policy. He said they would gladly take the phone back, but I would have trouble on the AT&T side.

I left the store with my phone and called AT&T. They asked for a contact number to call me back so they could "research" the issue. About 20 minutes later, I got a call back with the official answer: As long as Apple returned the phone, and I came into my AT&T store with my original purchase receipt, return receipt, both with the IMEI, they would let me buy the silver 5s as an upgrade.

I went back to Apple, returned the phone, went right to AT&T and was able to walk away with the Silver 5S I wanted.

Long story short - the 14 day carrier policy on service can make returns/exchanges tricky with Apple's 30 day policy. I got the impression they were making a very generous exception. Those still looking to exchange their launch-day Space Gray for something else, take note. The 30 day window is quickly approaching!

2. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

3. jlately macrumors newbie

So you had pretty much no problem beyond being given bad information by the Apple store employee (who in my experience know nothing about AT&T policies)?