My experience getting the iPhone with Verizon today- Confirmed 4g unlimited.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iansilv, Jul 4, 2011.

1. iansilv macrumors 6502a

OK- this was my experience- for what it is worth. It is entirely possible that they were lying/confused/being controlled by aliens, but this is what multiple people told me repeatedly and confirmed:

1. With the unlimited data plan I got today, I will be grandfathered for the future to transfer this plan to new smartphones, including the next iphone.

2. This plan includes unlimited 4G, and when/if/whenever it happens, a new iphone will get unlimited 4G data from my same plan when it is ported to a new iPhone that supports it.

In other words, in no uncertain terms as confirmed multiple times through multiple sales people and managers in the Irvine Spectrum verizon store, their unlimited plan will give you unlimited 4G when you buy an iPhone 4 today and upgrade in the future to an iPhone that supports 4g.

I was direct and specific, and so were they in their answers. Of course they could eb lying, but after the direct confirmation I got rom employees about 4G data being part of my plan when I get a device that supports it and it being unlimited, I would say they would be setting themselves up for a lawsuit if they did not honor what they said today.

2. kjay80 macrumors regular

How about for the current BB users with $29.99 unlimited data plan?
    I wanna upgrade to iphone 5 in near future, and would like to keep the plan!!!

3. shadrap macrumors 6502

This is what I have been told also. All of the sales reps also had iPhones and said they were waiting on an LTE iPhone and were not going to worry with any other OS just for LTE. Pretty smart guys.

4. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Is that sarcasm? I wouldn't characterize cell phone sales reps who only use iOS as "pretty smart guys".

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The Verizon guy last week had an iPhone, called us smart for getting them and said over 95% of the problems that walk thru the door are droid related, and they never have iPhone problems (I live next to a huge retirement community, consider the average age of the customer).

Sounds smart to me....

6. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

I'm unsure if you acquired the UL data via "Month to Month" or through a 2 yr. contract.

So while my research did confirm what you posted, if you pursued this method of locking in UL data through a Month to Month plan, the only caveat may be that VZW has it in their right to boot you off the grandfathering at the end of any given month. I'm not implying I foresee this as happening, but it's a risk (that I'm willing to take... 'cause I ain't singing no contract before 7-Jul-2011.)

I plan on doing a Month to Month plan and suspending it w/out billing for the maximum amount of time allowed during a 12 month period -- which is 2 "three month" billing cycles. Then I'd either drop the line if I stay AT&T, or jump to VZW -- as I'd not want to pay for 2 lines, of course.

EDIT to say: For the record, I believe a post elsewhere had someone saying they were going to suspend service without billing 2 times (until the end of the year) then repeat it twice more in 2012. This is not allowed, as it's only able to be accomplished 2 times (totaling 180 days) with a given 12 month span. I think the confusion stemmed from the phrase describing the ability to suspend service "2 times in a calendar year", so I called to verify exactly what this implied.

7. shadrap macrumors 6502

I was saying that they did not believe LTE was worth using another OS to use. I totally understand their reasoning.

8. CashDude macrumors regular

It doesn't matter what they "told" you if you didn't get it in writing. Good luck suing them :)

9. labman, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

rules and polices are set through the corporate offices not through the local stores. Anything they say is a guess/rumor. corporate office can also change polices including grandfathering. oh and Iphones are returned to App

TraceyS/FL
    The Verizon guy last week had an iPhone, called us smart for getting them and said over 95% of the problems that walk thru the door are droid related, and they never have iPhone problems (I live next to a huge retirement community, consider the average age of the customer).

Sounds smart to me.

iphones with problems go through Apple not the cell carrier. Verizon guy should know this..

10. iansilv, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011

iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ah- ok forgot that detail- I signed a 2 year contract- I had no problem with this as if figured this was going to be a great plan and with 4G it would be future proof. (I don't see "5G" actually being commercially viable.) :)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't know- I would ask them directly. From what I know, BB plans are separate and distinct from regular data plans.

Thanks Professor.

I wouldn't categorize your comment as being smart. Troll somewhere else.

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Old people with issues don't drive 60 miles to get them solved... They don't make phone calls to talk to a person..... They get in their golf carts and drive back to where they got the phone first. I totally knew what he was getting at, it's a whole other retail world here. One that scares me as a person that actually loves working in customer service from getting a job in customer service here.

Whether the phone needs to go back to apple or not wasn't the point, the point was they don't see iPhone people with problems, but are seeing droid users up the wazoo.

Now can you still have problems and not go there? sure....

Anyway....

12. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

I sure hope they dont! They shouldnt drive at all! :)

13. Cali4ever macrumors member

Awesome! :)
    But the att haters will still hate because they are stuck in a att contract on tiered data........................:eek:

14. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Why the "att haters will still hate" statement? I'm personally w/AT&T on an unlimited plan; but plenty of others are w/AT&T on a tiered plan, as not everyone needs unlimited data.

In my area, voice coverage is better w/VZW, and data coverage is better w/AT&T. This is what has me looking into which option is best.

I have no personal "fondness" for either carrier. :rolleyes:

15. iansilv, Jul 5, 2011

iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey man,
    Haters gonna hate...
    Lovers wanna love...
    I just wanna do....
    none of the above...

I want to piss on you!

OK- Anyone remember Chappelle

... leaving now... :D

Here's the problem though- of course some people don't need unlimited data. But- how could unlimited data hurt them? It means there is less risk that they wil eventually go over their "tier." There is no benefit to a consumer for having a limited amount of data sold as opposed to an unlimited amount.

If I were you, I would strongly consider the unlimited data option even though ATT has better data- V will continue to improve, but the limit of how much data you can use will never go away.

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

You do realize that the managers, workers, and everyone else has not a clue about Verizon's "future" plans, ie plans past 2011-2012.

Right?

They have not a clue whether Verizon will continue grandfathering people after the iPhone5 is released.

17. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Well, being in the same "UL data" camp as you (e.g., either way I go, I'll have UL data -- that's something I won't personally give up unless forced off ;) ), there are many folks of whom the (AT&T) $15/mo. 250MB plan suits them well because of ubiquitous Wi-Fi in their daily lives, or they simply just don't slurp data the way some heavier users do.

(For the record, even if I had this luxury of ubiquitous Wi-Fi, I'd still like the peace of mind knowing I don't have to rely on finding it when I'm out of range of my usual habitat. It's a peace of mind thing knowing I never have to rely on a hotspot for data. To further the case of why UL data is for me -- I rarely, if ever, go over the tiered caps -- but instead just don't want to worry about overages. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford the extra cash it costs (for AT&T) to have the UL plan.)

Having said that, these $15/mo. folks save quite a bit of money per year -- and spend it (or save it) elsewhere. I can relate to everyone having different priorities in life. Yours and mine, in regards to smartphone data, don't pinch our wallet out of the luxury (and it is just that, a luxury for me) of having an unlimited data plan, when we know full well that usage is only going to balloon in the coming years for cellular data.

Yep; like I said, either way I go, I'm choosing the UL data option -- which is why I'm locking in VZW for about 6 months until I decide which is better for my daily use. We have recently acquired a VZW iPhone with UL data in the family pool of phones, and I have an AT&T iPhone w/UL data -- so I'll be able to do a great comparison over the coming months, while eventually going to the "UL data plan" with my carrier of choice. :)

Ah, the joys of grandfathered data plans from VZ & AT&T: just hope they keep 'em kickin'!

18. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If someone was never going over 200mb a month why would they need unlimited data? Why wouldn't they want to save $15 a month. Just because you have a need for it doesn't mean everyone else wants it.

19. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Alas they do..... And then throw in the golf carts.... Suffice it to say that driving around here is never a time for daydreaming! ;)

20. macingman, Jul 5, 2011

macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wait a second you think the "old people" have smartphones.

21. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I don't know why we are parading for any of these companies. Sure, Verizon kept tiered data a bit longer. So what? Their tiered prices are pretty awful if you ask me.

22. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I hope its true.... Buttttt the cynic in me thinks theyre telling folks what they anna hear for the sale

23. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

My wife has a blackberry still under contract. I spoke with a manager at verizon corporate and they stated that because the bb still counts as a smartphone it would be grandfathered in with unlimited data.