iPad mini My experience of having an iPad after years of android tablets

Discussion in 'iPad' started by theapplefanboyj, Jan 14, 2015.

1. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

We've always had an iPad in the family, but I never got much use out of it, because of the fact that the rest of the family members were continuously using it. So, I used the family iPad roughly half an hour a week?

However, my main tablets were all android tablets, up till now. I think it was in fifth grade that I got my galaxy tab 2, and I loved it. it was just so fast, and so cool!

Fast forward to half a year later, and the tablet was a nightmare. I had received the 4.2.2 jelly bean update, and the brick was so slow to even use. Heck, even my two year old OG Galaxy Ace was faster than that, but then again, the Ace was stuck on gingerbread.

When I started sixth grade the problems became worser. When the battery died, you had to keep it plugged in for a long time to actualy make it turn on, and a lot of users also had the same problems. Now, it won't even turn on, and it was devastating; tabletless.

I had gotten used to using my iPhone 4S as my primary consumption device, but then, my granddad let me borrow his tablet for a week. It was the Hudl, a supermarket branded tablet. That thing was good for the money, but the OS was laggy for whatever reason. So, I gave it back to him.

A year later, I had finally made the plunge to move from iOS to Android. It was a huge jump because I was accustomed to iMessage and Facetime, and (a few) of my apps were not available on Android. The main reason I had to move was because of price; iPhones were expensive off contract, and my current phone (the OnePlus One) was only $349.

That said, a few months later, I was surprised with a retina mini, and it has been perfect so far! Battery life has been stunning, and I have been able to get atleast three days out of it, compared to the Hudl's one day battery life, and even lesser for the Tab 2. It's made me not want an iPhone, because I have the best of both worlds. I love android, and I love iOS, and I cannot pick between them.

The screen was so crisp and clear, and since I had been starting to read ebooks a lot, the mini has been perfect for reading!

What about you guys? Have you felt blessed after getting an ipad?

2. thejadedmonkey, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015

thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My girlfriend had an iPad retina or something, and I had the Surface RT. Even with an infinitely better app store, she used her tablet for the exact same 2 activities that I used mine for; the Internet, and Netflix.

Even though the Surface was better (it had a kickstand) we've both since sold our tablets and moved on from them. They're nice, but nowhere near as useful as a MBP or MBA (IMO, obviously).

3. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I have always held the opinion that the iPad is definitely the best tablet out there for the price. Cheaper tablets are sub par and usually come with a few trade offs. Android is good on a phone, but on a tablet, things are just blown up phone apps which just seems like a waste to have a tablet, why not go for (the dreaded word) phablet?

My iPad mini sees not a lot of use apart from the occasional video now due to the fact that the 6+ seems to be all I need touchscreen wise. Other computers are a pimped MBP and a MBA for on the go. I really love OS X and the iPad doesn't seem to be half as productive.

Imho tho, MacBook>iPad.

4. MikeCBR macrumors member

i had a nexus 7inch tablet and it performs well. i gave it away after getting the air 2. i like the air 2 for build quality, thin and light, and ios is faster. And of course the A8x is the fastest hardware available.

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I have to admit that not only was I suspect of Apple as a company but I also felt like tablets were just keyboard less laptops with wimpy specs and storage space. Then for the heck of it I bought an iPad 2 when they came out for no reason. Fell in love very shortly after buying it.

Now, I can't imagine not having a tablet. And, it MUST be an iPad. I don't find apples other products like phones or laptops to be that great but ipads kill other tablets and it isn't even close.

6. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

I had a very similar experience! It was with an android phone and iPod touch 4g. I had an android phone running 4.0.4 ICS and I also had a touch 4g on iOS 4. The iPod was 100000000 times better! I found myself using the iPod more than my phone! So in the long run, I ditched the android POS and upgraded to the iPod touch 5G. Fast forward a few months and I got the iPhone 5s and iPad mini 2 and I haven't looked back! Many times I've been tempted to go back to android on the LGG3 or the HTC one M8, but I read stories like yours and just remember my experience and how blessed I am to have my iOS devices! :apple:

7. MikeCBR macrumors member

ya android not so bad but ios just runs better

- seriousj

8. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

You're comparing a iPad Mini Retina to a supermarket brand tablet and a galaxy tab 2 that was released a month shy of 3 years ago. It's no surprise your experience is a lot better. That being said, I do recommend an iPad over most Android offerings. Not necessarily because of Android but because most companies offerings aren't very compelling.

9. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Even Google dropped the ball with the Nexus 9..... it's a pity, because the Nexus 7 is an awesome tablet.

10. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

The Nexus 9 is a decent tablet but way too expensive. $300 would have been much more reasonable and I'm sure it still leaves them room to make some money. Even $350 would be ok. $400 is where a 64gb model should be in my opinion.

11. mrex, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

My experience of having an iPad after years of android tablets

i feel opposite, but i have been using only highend android tablets, e.g. Note line. i have air2 just for fun, satisfying my tech desire. and im actually already bored with this, this is too basic and lack of features... possible jb would fix it for a while, lol...

however, the tablet is good. good for people who are not techy people and do just basic things, e.g. browsing, email, movies...

probably os wasnt laggy, but the hw which was a supermarket quality.

i dont buy budget price devices, because you will see the price when you use it.

12. mlody macrumors 6502a

I used to have a work tablet (iPad 3 cellular) and my family (wife and two kids) have their own tablets. (iPad 2 and 3s).
    When I had to turn in mine due to a job change, I looked at getting one (purchased iPad air) but I got turned off by the cheap feel of the device and the fact that besides using it for few useless activities, I just couldn't seem to find a good reason that I would need it, so I return it. Till today day, I never looked at getting a tablet for myself cause it just does not suit me for what I do. I much prefer to use a laptop (MBA) and desktop (custom build PC) for all my computing and media activities.

13. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

But don't you think the surface is more useful because its actually a computer on the go. The iPad is just an iPod with a bigger screen. But right now i have the iPad air and i plan on getting the surface 3 to make the ultimate combination.