Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cohiba

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Boston, MA
After much research (most of it from this forums extensive assistance - thank you!) I finally pulled the trigger on my G5! I went with the "stock" dual 1.8 (have since added a 1G of RAM), and a sony 17" flat screen.

I purchased my G5 from a apple store in cambridge MA. I found the staff to be friendly & helpfull, but because I had done my research on the front end I pretty much knew what I was buying before I entered the store. I loaded the G5 box into my back seat and was off to home to open it up!! After lugging the box up 3 flights of stairs I was a little winded, but very excited about getting my new rig up and running! I placed the box on my kitchen table and began to open it, I was very pleased with packaging and impressed with the way the keyboard and mouse were arranged in the box, it was immediately clear to me that apple doesnt limit their innovation just to their products... its the little things that make a big difference!

Now I should tell you that while all this is happening, my roommate is looking on. He is an avid windows users and was obviously trying to be a "wet blanket" as I was setting up - no big deal, afterall I was a windows user since '89 and knew where he was coming from... I'll convert him 6-8 months tops!

Anyway - I next pulled the monitor from its box and began hooking up the cables. Ok, done... the moment of truth; I push the power button on and, and... "no signal recieved going into sleep mode" What!? I dont panic, I check my wiring, adapter cable for the monitor, everything is in the right place, I reboot. "no signal recieved going into sleep mode". What the &^*%!? I read through the instructions again, I've done everything correctly! At first I'm thinking the monitor isnt compatible with my G5??? I read through the sony instructions specifically for setting up with Mac's so I know i'm good there, I again re-check the monitor cable going into the G5, everything good there! Now at this point the fans on the G5 are running at FULL speed, they are actually creating a wind that is blowing my window curtains! The noise was... incredible! At this point my roommate is completely not imppressed (understanably so!) He's throwing barbs at me "damn thats loud!", "It doesnt even work!?" So now I'm annoyed because I get the damn thing to work and I got my windows loving roomie crushing me with the obvious!!

After a couple of hours of trying to figure out the problem I give up, completely bummed out, totally dejected. I wake up the next morning, make some coffee, and I'm sitting there looking at the G5. I call tech support, he has my open the case (very cool!) hit a reset button, reboot... nothing he then says "sorry - you got a bad one, take it back and get a new one". OK, no big deal, I lug the G5 back down the 3 flights of stairs, back in my car and I drive the 20 minutes to the mall. I bring it into the store, I'm directed to the rear of the store where the servicing desk is, I'm asked my name and put into a que, and screen on the wall tells me my wait is 15 minutes. After 10 or so minutes I'm asked the problem, I tell him and the G5 is taken out back, after a few minutes he comes back and says, "let me get you a new one". He didnt know what was wrong, but after about 5 minutes another box comes out they generate a new receipt and I'm off!

Now I'm really excited, after the big let down I'm postive this one will work, I mean what are the chances that this one is a lemon too - right!? I take it out of the box, set it up, plug it in, power button... BINGO! It works !! Oh yeah! To make a long story sort (I guesss its too late for that now) I love it! Absolutely love it! I cant even look at windows anymore - not even kidding, Panther is remarkable, very intuitive, & looks fantastic!! I was able to burn all my word doc's and music files from my PC to the G5 without any problems at all! I even blew my roommate away when I had a DVD & garage band playing, itunes, several word & excel files open and hit F9 - expose' baby!! Thats what I'm talking about! Even he was very impressed!

Again thank for all your help here, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions - take care!!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Congratulations neighbor, you made an awesome choice. Very sorry to hear about your first lemon. It could happen to anyone, but Apple was prompt in fixing the problem.

Cohiba, since you roommate was so impressed, maybe it won't take him 6 - 8 months to be a switcher. Keep us posted.

daxdagr8t

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2004
congratulations on ur g5, i my self recently bought a powerbook and i was crossin my fingers that the unit i have is problem free and so far it is.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
Albeit long-winded, I loved reading your story. I just purchased a refurb 2.0G5 and am awaiting its arrival. Honestly, your story struck terror in my heart as I read it, but I'm glad it had a happy ending!

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I remembet when I got my Dual 2gig the day they arrived at my local apple reseller, I was so excited. I took it home and set it up right away, only yo leave within 15min of setting it up to go out of town for work. Those were the hardest 2 days of my life, thinking about my new G5 actually sitting on my desk, and I hadn't even used it yet . . .

belair

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
Yep must be awsome to get a new machine.
The first, and the only, mac I got was 5 years ago and I did not have the privilege to open the package myself. A friend of mine brought it over to Paris in his car and had to remove it from its box to fit it in his car.

When I get my 2.5 by the end of this month it is not going to be "opening a box" its going to be ****ing Striptease!!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
For me there is something fun and special about starting up a new Mac that I never had when I was into PC's.

Too bad the first one was DOA. Too bad Apple Retail Stores don't have a free setup service like Best Buy offers on new system purchases. Helps with the DOA's and the disappointment.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Congrats on the purchase.

My Dual 1.0 gig be a DOA. First time I had that with Apple. It sucks, but I can say that out of a dozen or so Macs I have set up new for family, I had 1 DOA. I can also say I have had 2 Dells as Duds, 1 Compaq and 1 HP out of about 15 PC machines as DOA.

Its nice to know the local Apple store is able/willing to do such a fast replacement. 2 years ago I had to send it back, wait 4 weeks and hope for a new one.

As for the roommate, just lt him know in 4 weeks when you till have no rebooted and your system is stable how his XP is doing with the 30 virus and security updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.