My Experience: S3 to iPhone 5!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DB14ify, Jun 25, 2013.

1. DB14ify macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,
    Used my Samsung Galaxy S3 for a year, but started to lag, heating issues and I started looking for new phones.
    HTC One looked really nice, but software was a risk to try.
    Windows phone still need a couple of years to grow.
    BB10 no thank you.
    So, since I own an iPad 3 and a MacBook Pro R, I decided to go and try an iPhone 5 (my first iPhone).
    To tell you the truth, I'm loving it. Very CONSISTENT, never lags, fast, responsive and so classy. The screen isn't that small (considering I was using a 4.8 inch).
    Anyway, wanted to share my personal experience.
    God Bless Jony Ive.

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I see you've been here a month but welcome to the forums anyway!

I had every iPhone since the 3G and got sick of the small screen and stale OS so I sold my iPhone 5 and switched to the Galaxy S4. I liked it at first, mainly for the huge screen. The issues with Android become apparent after the honeymoon period. The iOS 7 keynote was the final straw between me and Android. I bought another iPhone 5 off Craigslist that day and my S4 was shipped off to a new owner the next.

Things I missed about iOS: Universal settings, aluminum, iMessage, iCloud, iOS-specific apps like 1Password and Delivery Status Touch, Music app, and iOS notifications.

Things I miss about Android:.........

:D

3. twdawson macrumors regular

twdawson

I have just moved from the S3 to an iPhone 5 and loving every minute of it.
    The iPhone is much faster.

4. iAndyPham macrumors newbie

You could go either way. I know people who sold their iPhone 5 to buy S3 and couldn't be happier. Then there are people like you who are happy with the change from S3 to iP5.

Nonetheless, welcome aboard.

5. applefan97 macrumors member

I am also coming from an S3 and I'm Lovin it!

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's what they say but I don't see that considering that they're constantly 1) visiting the iPhone forum and 2) charging their Androids.

7. aenflex macrumors newbie

I too switched from S3 to iPhone 5. There are some things I miss about Android OS, mainly being able to use it as a portable hard drive, and have the ability to transfer almost any type of media file over to the phone and then being able to consume that media. As far as Android's customizability - I hated it! I found myself constantly tweaking and changing the phone, trying new themes, etc. I was never satisfied with it. Eventually realized I just didn't give a frack about that stuff.
    I LOVE my iPhone 5. Gone are the stutters and force closes and lagginess! I use many of the same apps in IOS that I used on Android, and the just run and look better with IOS.
    The premium build quality only adds to my satisfaction. I used Android for years and don't think I'll ever go back. My friend had the Note 2 and I just giggle at its ridiculousness.

8. Mavericks macrumors member

Mavericks

Galaxy S3 and Note 2 lag a TON....!!! Go iPhone go! I hope iPhone 5S will once again crush Galaxy S4... Just like how iPhone 5 crushed Galaxy S3 last year. I have my doubt for this year though...

9. GALAGA macrumors member

GALAGA

Im putting my samsung INFUSE under my car as soon as the iphone 5s comes out.Im done with android,,,sorry :D

10. tekkifi macrumors member

I wonder how many people would actually stay on Android if they were given an iPhone to use for a week. It seems as though people seem to keep on coming back to the iPhone.

11. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I went from my iPhone 5 to an S3 for a week, I like Android as an os but the hardware of the S3 was no match for the 5, especially the screen quality.

12. j0han macrumors 6502

j0han

have had S3 since launch, but when 5S is arriving, im going back to Apple again (all though i own iPad(s))

Laggy, unclassy. Tired, of having 100% battery at night, and next morning its 61%

No, Apple, i'm back soon! ;)

13. GusHerb macrumors member

Hi all this is my first post on the forum. I just recently made the switch too! Had an S3 for 8 months and after hearing about iOS 7 one thing led to another and the rest is history

I'm selling my S3 to my brother (who is an avid apple hater that I hope to convert some day hahaha)

The only things I miss about my S3 is how much better a job it does at staying connected to LTE in weak signal, and the screen size. Other then that the crappy app performance and bulkiness got annoying.

This isn't my first time with the iPhone 5 though, I originally received one on release day and quickly discovered that it wouldn't play nice with sprint 3G. Also there were some other hardware flaws that bugged me. An apple "genius" was also pretty ****** with me so I just returned it and got the S3 at the time.

My moms got the 5 and had to have it replaced twice two months after getting it and just on Sunday the earpiece speaker is acting like its blown and the mic while on speakerphone is far too quiet to hear. Basically rendering the phone useless as a phone, taking it in tomorrow. On top of that the 5 I just bought used (in mint condition) got a dead pixel a week after receiving it, apple replaced the screen for me and it seems to be all good for now.

If all goes well and my phone and hers stay working after this I'll be very happy.

14. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I've had Android and iPhones but for flexibility, call quality and speaker fidelity my HTC One tops the iphone for ME. I've had iphones on AT&T and Sprint and I can tell you iPhones on Sprint or Verizon are a pain. The single CDMA/LTE chipset/antenna prevent simultaneous voice and data on both domestic CDMA carriers. This is particularly onerous on Verizon where tethering is included at no charge on all shared data plans. Having calls interrupt a tethered connection is very frustrating.

Understand I am a huge iPad fan and don't really enjoy android tablets. Even on AT&T or T-Mobile where GSM allows the flexibility CDMA lacks (for iPhones) I prefer some Android devices. I am NOT a fan of Samsung phones but might consider trying the S4. From a performance standpoint this T-Mobile HTC One is perfect. It's fast, stable, has front facing stereo speakers, true FM tuner for when streaming isn't practical, easy to use tethering and direct access to a true file system.

I've been back and forth but for now the HTC One is my preferred device.

Cheers,

15. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Many come back to iPhone, but many also come back to android

16. iCole macrumors regular

Lol, funny enough I did the same thing yesterday. S3 started to lag, but really unexplainable, so I first tought about rooting and getting rid of touchwiz but I don't feel like I would be comfortable with a device that needs a total OS change for it to be running smoothly. It just shouldn't happen. It's not a PC dammit. So I got me an iPhone 5. Very happy with it.

Things I like about the iPhone :
    - Consistency of iOS. Sure, there are no widgets or moving backgrounds, but I ended up disabling these things for the sake of battery power and CPU use and overall fluidity. Why give the options if they really impact the overall experience and you have to turn them off anyway
    - No lag, super speed
    - GPS shows on the homescreen. Very handy
    - Apple software overall. Find my iPhone is easy to set up. Maps works pretty well (for now). Messages work good. Everything is just really nicely done.
    - Quick music controls that take over the app. Makes widgets for music controls totally irrelevant. Awesome.
    - Ringer switch
    - one handed use.
    - lots and lots more... I'm happy with my decision.

Things I dislike or am going to miss.
    - The bigger screen. Its now sharper, but I did like the huge size.
    - The ease of doing simpel stuff like putting a new ringtone or sharing from apps througout the entire OS.
    - Swype. :(
    - Android. It's just a very interesting OS.
    - My extended battery :)
    - The settings menu. It's a mess.

My advice : If you go Android, stay away from Touchwiz. Or get at least 2GB or RAM.