my experience with a dodgy mac pro, beware of uk apple technical repair centers

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by student_trap, Aug 3, 2008.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Hey all,

So here goes...a brief account of the problems, and solutions, to my mac pro troubles.

Part 1

In March I bought a Mac Pro, but it had tonnes of problems (lots of kernaling, a strange high pitched whine, and many other general oddities)! It was sent back to apple, but two days after I ordered the new one the shipping time dropped from near a month to 5 days, and my mac pro order was still being kept on schedule for a month's delivery! After much contacting apple (and them sending me from pillar to post) they offered me £200. Not bad I thought, and I looked forward to my delivery (despite it still being late!)

Part 2

So my Mac Pro arrives, and I am suitably over the moon, but after a while notice a strange fridge-like noise coming from the psu. I call apple and they take it for a repair, but mess up big time on the delivery causing me to cancel a holiday to wait for the machine that didn't arrive until after I was due to be back home! Then, when the machine arrived, with psu replaced, it was still making the same noise, so i sent it off again. This time they took nearly six weeks to return the machine to me, despite it being fixed after the first few days of repair (The technician had called me to say that it was ready!), alongside other abnormalites such as it being initially delivered to a different city than it was supposed to, and another time I was told that it had been left outside my door while I was away (this was not actually the case...the girl on the phone had messed up somehow).

Eventually the repaired machine arrived, however the problem had still not been fixed, and furthermore, came back chipped, dirty, and with sawdust (!???) inside it!

With this news, apple finally (in JULY!) replaced the machine with a new one, and threw in an ipod classic (80gig) and wacom tablet (worth £140) to keep me happy.

I thought that this was fair, although when all is considered (time-2 months, effort-picking up and sending computers etc etc, and money-lots!) I think that more could have been done.

have to say though, the total value of stuff i got from apple was worth £500, so at least my mac pro was good value, if belated in it's arrival!

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Well, at the end of the day, they replaced your machine with a brand new one and threw in extras. The glass is half full!

3. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

indeed. I think that i should reiterate that I am in no way complaining, just retelling my story. Although after the second repair came back chipped (i mean how hard do you have to hit it to take a chunk of aluminium out the side?!) and full of sawdust, my confidence in apples 'authorised' repair centers is rather less than absolute.

4. m1stake macrumors 68000

They didn't want to rent a whole building to do repairs in, so they split the rent with a sawmill. :p

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you ever need it serviced again, you could request Apple send you the parts and install them yourself. Less hassle and far less time involved it seems. :eek: :D