My experience with the galaxy s2 Skyrocket

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gigapocket1, Feb 8, 2012.

1. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

First, I'm a die hard iphone/apple fan. Ive had the original,3g,3gs,4,and 4s. But for some reason lately, I just felt bored with my 4s even though it was jailbroken. I've also jailbroken every iphone I've ever had, but after jailbreaking the 4s, it still seemed "blah". I feel now that jailbreaking is very overrated.

I picked up the skyrocket a couple of days ago. I have to admit, droids and samsung has come a LONG way. After downloading juice defender ultimate, I can last a full day with charging. The only complaints I have are very small details. Such as the default messaging app, you have to push the back button twice to get back to the thread list. I also hate the keyboard (heavy texter). I even downloaded the iphone keyboard which helped slightly. The browser also is nowhere near as good as the iphone. Although flash did come in handy the other day. I was able to go to firstrowsports and watch a live game as I drove home. On my iphone I would have to use skyfire browser and hope that the browser notices the flash video.
    Also, I admit that skype completely sucks on this phone. Users complain they cant here me.also 4g lte in the Orlando area is blazing fast! I hit 44 megs the other day.

But honestly, the skyrocket is great, but I miss my iphone, not sure if I should keep the skyrocket or return it.

Attached Files:

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Those are some impressive LTE speeds. I love my 4s and I know that "bored" feeling you have experienced. I really hate lag on phones which is pretty much the main reason I don't use Android anymore. Now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the SkyRocket have a Qualcomm processor? This is not as powerful as the original Exynos processor that shipped with the original Galaxy S II.

Maybe you can wait for the Galaxy S II SkyRocket HD which is coming out soon. It is unclear whether or not that phone will have the same processor as the SkyRocket. Hopefully the only change they made wasn't screen size and resolution. That's the phone I'm slightly eyeing.

Question for ya... did you have to get a new LTE SIM card for your SkyRocket? Do you plan on swapping back and fourth between your 4s and SkyRocket?

3. cotak macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/ITL41F) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Some of the issues you have would be addressed if you flash to ICS. Personally i like the android keyboard more on the galaxy nexus.

4. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yea, I may just wait.. but the biggest gripe is the keyboard and the autocorrect. They keyboard really lags sometimes in the browser as well.. but as far as lags overall.. the phone has been pretty good.. no major slowdowns at all.

I did get a new Sim card. Didn't pay attention to the size. Not sure if it will fit into the iphone. But if I keep the skyrocket I'm just going to sell the 4s.

----------

ics Rom isn't available for the skyrocket yet

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Root it, visit xda, install custom ROM...and you can have ICS.

Your first mistake was going with the Skyrocket over the GSII. Yes, it's newer, but the processor is crap compared to the GSII's processor. Also, developers don't seem as keen on the SR as the GSII, so there's far fewer ROMs and tweaks out there for it.

There's a reason it's referred to as the "*****rocket".

6. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Where do you live? I want to make sure I stay off the roads. You're going to kill someone. Stop doing that.

7. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I second that. People are too much into their phones nowadays.

8. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 65816

It was more so listening while driving and looking at the screen while at red lights or stuck in traffic..

hmmm.. im going to look into it.. Out of curiosity, whats so great about ice cream sandwich?

9. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Let me clarify my statement. When you're installing a custom ROM, you're not actually getting ICS. The best, most stable custom ROMs (with the best battery life) are based on the stock ROM. What you're actually getting is a ROM that mimics ICS, in both look and feel. It's really a way to give yourself a preview of ICS before it's released.

Right now I'm running the latest version of ICScreweD from xda. The dev, jivy26, is awesome and really has put out a great ROM that feels a lot like ICS. He also listens to his users and will include tweaks that they request. It's extremely stable, very customizable, and the battery life is amazing.

You should check out the Skyrocket section of xda to see what kind of ROMs are out there and if rooting it is for you. I find that it's a great community with lots of helpful people.

10. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Just curious what your thought is now. Will you be returning the skyrocket. I was thinking about picking one up to try.