My experience with the MBP, heat, battery life, & OSX

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laser71, Mar 6, 2011.

1. laser71 macrumors regular

Hopefully this might be useful for people thinking about buying the new MBP or switching to OSX, but have some reservations.

I recently just made the 'switch' after working with Windows for the last 16 years. My reason for switching is that I want a laptop that I can use as my home computer. I do software development and wanted a quality and capable machine, and the MBPs seemed the way to go.

Like many, I've been glued to the forums for the last 4 months, anxiously reading rumors about the new MBP. I have never used OSX before, but learned a fair bit just from reading the forums daily.

When the new MBPs were released, I immediately placed an order for a 15". The full specs are in my signature.

After getting it, my first impressions was that the computer feels great, looks great, and applications are confusing to install when coming from a Windows environment.

However, I also initially noticed that the computer gets HOT. While initially setting the machine up and copying files over my network, I was getting 2.5hrs battery, and running at about 75 degrees. Having read the forums a lot, I was a little paranoid and worried about the temperature. My idle temperature was 43 degrees.

After looking around some more I found that I was using a lot of CPU in idle as I had a couple YouTube videos open. This caused Flash to use 50% of my CPU. Closing these open tabs caused my CPU to drop significantly. I then installed gfxCardStatus, which told me my discrete graphics were being used because Illustrator was also open. By closing Illustrator, the computer switched to integrated graphics.

The net result? My idle temperature lowered to a much more reasonable 32 degrees. In terms of battery life, using the computer for email, iTunes and web browsing with the screen on half brightness gave me an astonishing 9 hours of battery life last night. Maybe this is not as shocking for everyone else, but I was very impressed.

In terms of OSX, it's been a much easier learning curve than I expected. Applications are still a little confusing to me (do you actually uninstall a program by simply dragging it from Applications to your trash?) - but otherwise it's been great. I couldn't be more happy with my purchase and am glad to see all the hype was justified.

So if you're on the fence with concerns relating to heat, I'd say they are largely overblown (based on my experience), and would definitely recommend you go for it. Now I wish I did this a few years ago!

2. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

Glad to hear that you're happy with your new MBP and MacOSX in general.

Yes you can delete an app just by dragging it to the trash, or just dragging it out of your app folder and onto your desktop where it will go poof. Some programs come with an uninstaller, if they do, you might want to use that.

3. TheHoff macrumors 6502

23 years of DOS/Win here but this is my second MBP now. Most devs I know have switched because they are the best laptops period (and have a Unix underneath).

The app situation is certainly a little bewildering but you have to forget about having a massive registry that needs to be maintained now. I agree that dragging your first app to the Applications folder is a bit confusing after decades of install routines.

And yes, you do just drag it to the trash. It may leave some preferences files behind but they aren't a big deal. Since there is no registry to need cleaning, they don't cause any excess overhead. There are some utilities that will search out unused support files and delete them, but it isn't necessary to do.

4. Locodice macrumors regular

I'm chomping at the bit now after reading this.

My MBP is currently in Germany due to be delivered Weds..... the waiting time is unbearable!

5. laser71 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the updates about how to delete applications. That's great it's so easy. It just feel unusual how fast and easy it is to remove an application - literally takes less than a second. I spend about 30 minutes searching a "Uninstall programs" function link in Windows, expecting that the uninstall process should at least take a minute or so.

6. syunysi macrumors newbie

Thanks OP, it's been great to hear such a positive story from a Mac new user. I haven't owned a Mac yet, but will soon. Like you, I have been using Microsoft products for 18 years (from DOS to XP) and was a bit worried about the switch. However, I was very impressed by hearing about the "uninstall process", it's just too simple in comparison with Windows! I hope I will get my laptop soon and experience it myself. Thanks again.:)

7. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

You chose well. Enjoy it.

8. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Some apps are uninstalled simply by dragging to the trash, others are not. Apps like Keynote are bundled and are largely self-contained in that one file you can trash. Some large apps, like Final Cut Studio, put many supporting files in other places at the system or user files level so they take more work to completely uninstall. Apps like that often come with an uninstaller to completely remove all app files.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

As a software developer coming from Windows you will occasionally miss the install routines too. For many newer projects there are often Windows install msi download but for OSX you only get binaries and have to and you will have to do some configuration work. Not a big deal if you always work in the same environment with the same languages but as student you really learn the unix way. Once you get it though there are also many things that work just way better and easier the terminal way. You end up understanding everything better. In Windows you can do a lot without having a clue of anything.

The simple app dragging is funny at the beginning but I ended up hardly ever doing that. Most apps I use require a lot more than this. Only very very few apps (I use) actually work that simple. Unless you clutter your notebook with endless little programs you will not really have too much fun with this.

If you are quick with a keyboard. Get Alfred it is so much better than spotlight. Also BetterTouchTool and gfxCardStatus are must have. The former enables you to transform the touchpad from something nice and useful to something awesome.