my experiences buying the iphone (not happy ones)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by annay49, Jul 6, 2012.

1. annay49 macrumors member

For the last 14 months I have used an Evo 3g phone until it broke. My outside insurance company said for me to find a comparable phone and purchase it and they will pay for it minus the deducible. Now I'm on sprints network and I went to purchase a phone today, not extend my contract, or cancel my contract and get a new agreement.

Instead I spent 5 hours and several miles put on my car driving between stores and calling people getting the run around. Sprint does not want to sell iphones out right because they loose money on 16 gig 4s ones. When you go to apple they say they can do it, but then the agreement they make you sign asks you to sign a 2 year agreement. I'm furious that it took so long and no one seems to care that they can't get me into a phone.

Before you say buy a second hand one or buy one elsewhere, I have to have a legitimate phone from a legitimate store for my insurance to pay.

Anyone else ever run into problems or know what I can do to get someone at either Sprint or Apple to notice they have a very upset customer who is being wronged?

PS, this story is much longer but I gave the short version

2. blackhand1001, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Get the galaxy nexus if you have used Android the past year. It will work on sprints upcoming lte network. The iPhone only works on sprints slow 3g and it seems to get slower speeds than other sprint phones on 3g.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Cancel Sprint and switch carriers. If your carrier doesn't care for you, why care for it. I am sure AT&T or Verizon would be happy to have you. Mind you, choose AT&T for faster speeds if your area supports them and has good coverage.

4. bidwalj macrumors 65816

Try best buy maybe or apple.com. I'm surprised the apple store can't just sell you the phone and have you take care of the activation and what not. Why do they need to extend your contract exactly?

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Apple Canada starting at $649 no contract & unlocked.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Those are Canadian dollars, not US.:D

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Almost on par US & Canadian dollar, plus the OP doesn't state where they're from.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

True and true...

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont think there's Sprint in Canada.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you live near the border, there might be enough signal...

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, but if you use a GSM iphone 4S I dont think it will connect to a neighbor CDMA network.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'm beaten here...

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Me too, its getting late:)
    Night folks.

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Thats pretty expensive for a iP4S. You can buy a Samsung GS3 outright for less.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If OP wanted an S3, he would have said so. This isn't the case, so take it else where.

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Pfftt, just saying how expensive Apple is. If your ok with that, i dont care.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

OP didn't ask for that either....

18. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

:rolleyes:

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Didn't you read what he said? Insurance pays, he doesn't care, he just wants his phone. I wonder why you are suggesting another product not even on OP's mind? Asking for trolling

20. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Call Sprint Customer Service and complain. Even if Sprint doesn't do anything, it's good to let it out (but make sure you don't get mad at the person you're talking to!).

I once had an AT&T retail store manager (at my local store) tell me that he could not input APN settings on my phone because it was against company policy, despite the fact that another staff member did it for me a month ago. I was pissed off not because he said no, but how he said it.

I called AT&T customer service to confirm if it was against company policy and she confirmed that it was not.

Ultimately, I went online google and searched up the AT&T APN settings myself... it was actually very straight-forward to do.

21. Vegastouch, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Shuddup...i just said $649 was expensive for a 4S. Dont get your panties all in a bunch. Just because i said another, newer higher end phone was cheaper dont mean anything.

He also said he has used an Evo the past 14 months so i suggested a better Android. Big deal, either he is interested or he isnt. That isnt your call to make. We all know the iPhone is slow on Sprint.

22. infinity12402 macrumors member

you cant buy an iphone unlocked for sprint. you can only buy one for att. so theres no going to apple for that. so its getting it through sprint for him or nothing

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I agree. I've been a Virgin Mobile customer for five years. I've been very happy with the service and have waited for five years to have an iPhone. Now, they have it and even though you will pay full price for it, they've told me that it is locked to VM.

I haven't yet made up my mind, but I'm seriously considering transferring to Straight Talk. If I do, you can be sure that I'll be sending VM an email telling them why I'm leaving. The only way to effect change is to make your problems known.

24. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I don't get it. An agreement for what? You told them you want to buy an unlocked iphone without carrier plan, right? I do sympathize, but why didn't you order an unlocked phone from apple's website?

25. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Apple only sells unlocked iPhone for ATT in the US.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4s

"The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint."