My experiences with the Invisible Shield (17 UMBP) Pics of Finished Product

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blitzraider, Mar 21, 2009.

1. blitzraider macrumors member

Most of the important stuff are in bullets

Actually, this should apply to the 15 inch as well because it has around the same stuff, just smaller.

It took us 2 days to finish putting that stuff on. Like the complaints,you see on this forum, this thing is a pain. Hoever, I may have some tips to help you.

The hardest films to apply: cover, bottom, and palm rest flim
    The easiest films to apply: the side films.

FYI, this shield does not cover the entire bottom of the MBP, it only goes up to the edge of the bottom lid.

On the other hand, the side films over everything except the ports and cd drive (yes even the black plastic part at the back is protected)

IMO, there is really only one way to apply the hard to apply films correctly:

• You should do it right THE FIRST TIME!
    • You MUST have a friend to use my method
    • Throughout the process remember: MORE SOLUTION IS BETTER THAN LESS
    • This is because it allows the air bubbles to escape much easier

Ok, You and your friends both spray your fingertips with shield spray. Over the whole process, you can spray more over time. The solution dries up quickly.
    Starting with the big pieces
    1. Person A peels the film, Person B prepares to recieve the film by placing both hands facing up
    2. Person A places the film on Person B's Hand
    3. Person A sprays the film with solution. Remember to spray the edges thoroughly.
    4. Person B holds up the film vertically in relation to the your MBP. Person A lines up one side of the edges
    5. Person B should slowly let the film stick on the MBP, but don' let go. Person A NEEDS to help coordinate the application and using hands flatten out the bubbles towards the side that is still being applied. DO NOT STRETCH THE FILM EVER!
    6. If the film is applied according the previous instruction, there should only be some water and very little air bubbles left.
    7. Use the included squeegie to let out any residue. DO NOT use too much force because the film can still move at this point.
    8. If you are not satisfied with your alignment, peel it out slowly and do it again. But spray the solution on the film again.

Some extra tips
    • The corners of the top film and the edges of the palm rest extend a bit out. You should cut a bit of it before hand.
    • It's better to leave it cut in a bit than to stick it out.
    • This plastic is a bit elastic. Sometimes if you put enough solution, you can slid it around a bit
    • For safety, you could put paper towels around the ridge between the screen and bottom of the MBP to soak up the water when applying the TOP FILM
    • If you see air bubbles in the film that you can't get out, it is probably not going to "disappear" according to the instructions provided. It is better to do it again.

Attached Files:

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

3. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

Bodyguardz is much better. Higher quality film, and you dont get the orange peel texture look that Invisible shield has, which is clearly evident in that last pic

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It looks as if it hasn't dried fully, but that's just me.

5. blitzraider thread starter macrumors member

No it hasn't. I just applied it the night before...

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

from the pictures it kinda of make the computer look whiter. i kind of like it. white aluminum would be a cool color. either that or gun medal gray. im kind of tired of the silver look to be honest.