My eyes HURT and turn RED from looking at my Macbook Pro13.. is it Glare? Help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by manimalfully, Jul 11, 2012.

1. manimalfully, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

manimalfully macrumors newbie

Hi,

Not to sound dramatic, but I got my macbook pro awhile ago and after looking at the screen for an hour or so, my eyes would start hurting and turn Red! (severely)

I used to be fine looking at my macbook for like 8 hours straight for a year. But I ended up being on the computer for like 12 hours a day for a year.
    And now I can't even look at the same screen without my eyes KILLINg me within 15-20mins.
    They turn red and pain. My head hurts. I get a headache.

I ignored it, but I literally have permanent red vessels in my eyes now, and it looks terrible. So I went to an optometrist and all, and she didn't help much.

What is weird is that I can stare at my ipad2 and ipad-air for hours still at a stretch and my eyes would be completely fine. I looked up the screen-types, and macbookpro and ipad2 have the same LED screen.. (I think).

It's definitey not because of the glare! I bought a greenonions ag2 macbook screen cover, and it helped just a little, but the same thing still happens to my eyes. (they turned red, started hurting after awhile)

(I've tried everything from turning the brightness down to installing programs like flux and shades. I've tried different resolutions and what not as well.)
    My eyes hurt from macbook air too. (atleast teh current 2013 model I tested)
    I tried a toshiba like from 2011 and that hurts too.. :(

1. What should I do? Anybody have experience on this?

I feel like a layer on eye has been burned off from the 12 hours straight I stared at my macbook for a year.

2. This isn't an appropriate forum to ask and I might sound like an idiot for asking, but anybody have an suggestions for how to make these permanent red veins in my eyes to go away. (I'm thinking laser eye surgery at some point)

Please help with any suggestions. Thank you guys. :(

ps. my macbookpro is useless to me until I fix this problem, I have to use my ipad-air all day.. ugh

pps. relevant thread maybe: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1677617?start=2070&tstart=0

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Turn the brightness down.

Dude, seriously?

3. manimalfully thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried everything from turning the brightness down to installing programs like flux and shades. I've tried different resolutions and what not as well.

I'm basically 100% sure it's the glare/reflections.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You need to change the lighting your room to reduce reflections, curtains maybe.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Some people's eyes are sensitive to that sort of thing.

My advice? Get new eyes. :thumbs up:

6. Ifti macrumors 68000

The iVisor MacBook screen cover? Reduces glare and may help.

7. ZipZap macrumors 601

So your eyes are straining to focus. They dont turn red, thats from your rubbing.

I would lower the brightness, lower the resolution and increase the font size.

And wear classes while using the computer.

Better yet see an optomitrist.

8. AlexBass macrumors regular

9. thomaskc macrumors 6502

Try blinking... Ironically that is actually how most get sore eyes, because the "forget" to blink often enough.

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Then you're screwed - at least from Apple's perspective. Soon all their displays will be glossy and the matte screen will no longer be an option (as with the new retina).

You'll either have to change platforms or find a way to live with it. :eek:

11. stuaz macrumors 6502

Sounds like a trip to the Opticians is needed!

12. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Here's a question: Up until January when you bought the MBP, were you using a laptop (any laptop) or LCD monitor for as many hours a day as you have been since buying the MacBook? I had a MAJOR adjustment period when things went from CRT to LCD. I used to hate looking at LCD screens, because they made my eyes sting and get really red. It took about a year of having my Titanium PowerBook for my eyes to completely adjust to LCD. Now things are pretty much normal, though after prolonged use, my eyes can ache a bit, depending on the screen. I typically find that screens with a lower pixel density makes things worse. Correct me if I'm wrong, but inch for inch, the 13" MBP has a lower pixel density than the iPad 2 (or at least it's very similar). Brightness can be a factor, which is why I use my MBP at 50%. You might be overly sensitive to glare, particularly from other light sources. If you can see a light (or the sun) shining in your screen, you need to move, because that always gives me a MASSIVE headache. I'm sorry you're having this experience, but if this is your first time using an LCD screen for many hours a day, then that could be the cause. Otherwise, start using sunglasses when looking at your screen, even indoors. Might sound crazy, but it used to avoid the headaches early on for me.

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

If you're eyes are turning red, then maybe you're becoming a vampire? Have you become allergic to garlic recently?

14. manimalfully thread starter macrumors newbie

:)
    Ok, so up until like last year, I used this oldass dell inspiron I bought in like 2006. I never had eye problems, I use about 4 hours per day I think.
    Then I tried MacBook white LCD and MacBook pro led, and both cause red eyes that hurt like hell after awhile.
    Both of the MacBook screens are glossier and more reflective than my old dell.

And when I use my ipad2, it also has very few reflections or glossiness to it as I have a anti glare cover on it and I never use it close to a window really.

So I'm thinking to get techrestore.com to replace my glossy to a matte screen for $200.

I think it'll solve most of the problem.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op your suffering from eye strain and need to go back and get reading glasses!

16. wassja, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  17. wassja, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  18. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

When I'm working I have eyestrain on my cMBP 15" the only was I tackled it was inverting the colors

19. broad macrumors member

this could be the issue. LED backlit screens dont actually go "more dim" as you turn the brightness down...they flicker slower to appear more dim. some peoples eyes are sensitive to this flicker...

do you get the problem when the screen is at full brightness? if so try screenshade to dim the display...iirc it uses gamma to lower brightness...might be beneficial

20. brentsg macrumors 68030

There are lots of issues why your eyes could be bothering you and without a doubt, you should have them examined.

21. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Take a break. Seriously. It's most likely eye strain.
    Take this coming weekend off from your iPad and MacBook. Don't use them at all. Go outside and enjoy natural lighting and make sure to get good sleep.

22. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I think you are making the situation a bit overblown, everyones eyes hurt or remain bloodshot every now and again when staring at a screen for a while. Just remember to blink every couple of minutes at least.

23. solsearchin macrumors member

Low res screens give my eyes the same issue, might be your issue?

24. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Same here. The 13" Pro really made my eyes ache when I had one. And I figured out that it was because the text is really poorly rendered on it. Having moved to a retina pro, the difference is like night and day. I can read for hours without any problems.