My fan went up to 6000 rpm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RanliAves, Dec 3, 2010.

1. RanliAves macrumors newbie

Ok so i was importing a 7min clip to iMovie 11 and the fan is loud and its running 6000 rpm, im pretty worried. Is this safe?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Yes. What you are doing is very processor intensive. You'll be fine, fan speeds of constant 6000rpm aren't bad, I've had mine run at 6k for weeks on end.

3. RanliAves thread starter macrumors newbie

4. RanliAves thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually have another question.

The same I exported, I wanted to finalize. So when i clicked finalize project it said it will be done in like an hour but the fan automatically went super fast, if it previously took 20 minutes for it to go to 6000, i cant imagine what it will be like for an hour? I don't want to break my macbook pro, is there i can do to the fans while i wait an hour for it to finalize? Because I know literally that the will go berserk, please help. I'm going frequently going to upload youtube videos but if its going to break my computer..

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The computer is designed to switch off when temperatures get exceed a certain limit. When you play intensive games the fans are at 6k constantly, and as you know games are addictive and can be played for many hours.

Machines are designed to be used. Machines are also designed to work within limits, a machine that breaks itself is a failure.

6. RanliAves thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ok thanks. But my question how do i finish making a video on iMovie 11 without the fans going super fast? will those fan controls help?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Look at what processes are running, but look at the issue from another perspective.

Be thankful it did ramp up because temperatures had increased to a degree (pun intended ;) ) that required that much cooling, if the fans didn't you could have damaged the internals of the MBP.

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Your computer is doing something intensive and that means that components will be generating heat. That heat needs to be moved away, otherwise as maflynn said, things can be damaged.

9. RanliAves thread starter macrumors newbie

so will it be a good thing for my fans to go super fast while finalizing a video?

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Clearly, your fans will disintegrate after all the posts of doom in this thread.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If your temperatures are increasing dramatically, yes of course.

I recommend you get iStat Menus or another application to view the temps in your menu bar. That way you can see the cause/effect relationship.

12. wpotere Guest

Fans running at high are normal. If you try to override them and slow them you could see your macbook shut down due to overheating. The fans are designed to run at high speeds, so do what you need to do and don't worry about it. The computer is doing what it is supposed to do, quit stressing.

13. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Move the computer outside on a day like today in Washington, D.C. That'll solve the heat problem real fast, and probably cause some feeling of overclocking too.

14. wpotere Guest

LOL, but it won't show any signs of overclocking as it is not running faster, just cooler. ;)

15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Why are there so many paranoid people on these forums? :confused:

16. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

The CPU will throttle as it reaches the upper limits of its temperature (and ramp up to 6000RPM too) so it may or may not be a little more efficient depending on whether it was throttling or not.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The CPU is designed to shut down if it reaches 100c, however, if your CPU is that hot, the odds are really high that you're cooking the other components that are not designed to withstand that high temperature. To rephrase it, if you get that point, you're damaging the computer.

18. spudwaffle macrumors newbie

Hot is OK!

My 2.8GHz 15" MBP literally melted a mousepad that was partially covered by it. (Converting 3hrs of 1080p video)
    Macbooks are designed to run at extremely high temperatures. The fans will run at a sufficient speed to keep the temperature from rising even at 100% CPU usage.
    In other words, don't mess with the fans, keep the clocking, and you won't have anything to worry about.

19. jiminy macrumors newbie

In windows, Ive set my fans to 5k rpm and it still ramps up to max (6k rpm) when I play video games. Ive played that way for hours sometimes; my mbp seems to still be working like a champ with no problems.

Though there are times when Windows has gone into sleep mode automatically because of high temperatures, it only happens sometimes. Ive bought a small fan and have it pointed at the top-left of the mbp body, which helps alleviate some of the heat.