Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have recently used windows xp then I switched to mac, b/w rev. b
It has panther 10.3.4 installed on a 30gb ata drive. I have my windows hard drive, 80gb 2 fat32 partitions, both partitions are about 80% full. I decided to add that drive to my mac. I plugged it in, put it as slave,booted up.. then I logged in to osx and it said I installed a disk that has no volumes typed that the system can read. Something like that anyways. I just clicked ignore then went to disk utility.. it shows the drive and the 2 partitions ...

Name : disk0s1
Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk0s1
Mount Point : Not mounted
Connection Bus : ATA
IO Content : DOS_FAT_16
Device Tree : ide1/@1:1
Writable : Yes
Capacity : 2.7 GB (2,870,590,464 Bytes)
Permissions Enabled : No
Can Turn Permissions Off : No
Can Be Formatted : No
Bootable : No
Supports Journaling : No
Journaled : No
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 1

Name : disk0s2
Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk0s2
Mount Point : Not mounted
Connection Bus : ATA
IO Content : Windows_FAT_32
Device Tree : ide1/@1:2
Writable : Yes
Capacity : 71.9 GB (77,153,126,400 Bytes)
Permissions Enabled : No
Can Turn Permissions Off : No
Can Be Formatted : No
Bootable : No
Supports Journaling : No
Journaled : No
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 2
Im not sure what to do from here, I hope osX didnt currupt the drive or anything in any way, i have MONTHS of stuff I have on that drive.. what do I do to make osx read it? Thanks

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Try going Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) and then see if the Win. HD is showing up on the left hand column. If it is then it should mount. Just select on the partitions and then go to the "File" Menu and then down to "Mount" and see if it mounts on the desktop. The data shouldn't be corrupted/lost at all.

If you still have your PC, why not put the hard drive back in your PC, boot your PC up and then connect your Mac to your PC or visa versa and then transfer your files over through ethernet. Unless, your PC doesn't have an ethernet card in it?

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
I tried to mount but it wouldn't do it.. :( I would do it through ethernet, i am connected through a bfw11s4 linsys router 100mbps on mac and pc.. but for some reason transfer rates are really slow from pc to mac... :S Maybe ftp will be faster? Or maybe do i need to configure something? open a port on the router? thanks

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
stevey500 said:
Im not sure what to do from here, I hope osX didnt currupt the drive or anything in any way, i have MONTHS of stuff I have on that drive.. what do I do to make osx read it? Thanks

Not to worry, you could just restore from the backup you take every week :eek:

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Just to be picky... You shouldn't ever run WinXP with fat32. It's slow, outdated, less secure, ok just plain bad. Always use NTFS. Little off topic, but valuable none the less.

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Last time I used ntfs, well, the lest TWO times, total hard drive curruption, and needed totak write zero format to recover the drive to working order again... I dont like ntfs

earthtoandy

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2003
got firewire? transwer that crap over to the mac. then put in the windows drive and format it for osx...then put your filkes back. kinda tedious but it will get it done and give you that extra drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.