My favorite thing about the lightning connector

satchow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
So many useless gripes about the lightning connector, so here's useless praise of it.

Due to how small the connector is now, cases like the Candyshell no longer have a saggy part right underneath the home button. This part broke on every single candyshell I had. Some cases still have one gigantic cutout on the bottom though.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I like the fact I don't have to worry about which way to plug it in.. (especially after a night of wine)

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Yea, I am happy with the lightning connector. Just not happy with the fact that the adapters still are not available in stores... or at least they aren't available for pick up using the Apple Store App (as of this morning).

That is my only complaint.

I think the lightning adapter is much nicer than microUSB, which always felt fragile and weak to me. Even though I am sure it holds up just fine, I was still constantly worried about breaking it.

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
I like that it is the size of micro usb but a solid piece of metal.

Have you ever seen what a micro usb can look like when a dumba$$ with an office chair runs over one? I dont see this happening with lightning.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I was pleasantly surprised that, with the Lightning adaptor, my OEM iPod/iPhone kit steering wheel controls still work in my 2008 Mercedes and the song info still comes up on my dash readout display. I have read that the controls wouldn't work and the info wouldn't appear anymore once I used the adaptor with the 30 pin connector in my glovebox.

Because of this limitation, I was already planning on purchasing a iPod classic to use for my in-car music, but of course, since it all works as before, I won't have to! :D

Last edited:

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
So many useless gripes about the lightning connector, so here's useless praise of it.

Due to how small the connector is now, cases like the Candyshell no longer have a saggy part right underneath the home button. This part broke on every single candyshell I had. Some cases still have one gigantic cutout on the bottom though.
So true! I definitely had this problem with my iPhone 4 Candyshell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.