My Feb 2009 Macbook Pro Unibody getting "too hot to touch" - Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iFanboy, Mar 3, 2012.

1. iFanboy Guest

Mackbook Pro Unibody has been on about 2 hours.

Very little battery to start with, ran that down to 0% and then plugged it in about an hour ago.

The unibody casing around the power connector, the ESC key and about halfway down the left hand side is now "too hot to touch"

Rest of computer is cool, Fans are NOT running and computer is running normally.

Should I be worried?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

"too hot" is subjective, what's the actual temps?

If they're reaching close to 90c without the temps kicking in, its getting too hot.

Download a widget from the apple site called istat pro, it will give you the temps and fan speeds

3. simsaladimbamba

Can you use iStat Pro or the 14-day trial of iStat Menus to look at all reported temps? iStat Menu offers more temp readings, including the battery charger input.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's nothing to worry about. It's quite normal for your Mac and/or your MagSafe adapter to get quite hot while charging. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. iFanboy thread starter Guest

The computer itself is fine. The computer itself is not getting hot. Part of the case connected to the power connector is getting too hot to touch.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

----------

Thanks mate! :)