My film looks zoomed in on tv's and not computers?i used idvd and FCP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Directorfilms, May 4, 2011.

1. Directorfilms macrumors newbie

Hi People,

I have finished editing a short film in Final Cut Pro, i exported to quicktime movie, put that in idvd and burnt a dvd. My project was shot and edited in 16:9 pro res 422 HQ

So I play it on my computer, and it looks fine; when i play it in my dvd player it appears to have been zoomed in a bit. So i use my remote control to zoom the screen out so that it appears in the middle of the screen smaller, and i can see the full frame as it was meant to be played. Ive tried playing my dvd on a different tv (all widescreen digital ones) and even through a playstation 2 and it still appears zoomed in. Please help!

2. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Could be the title-safe/overscan area. With standard definition footage, there is a an area all around the image that tends to be cut off by televisions. There isn't really a whole lot you can do about this.

If you're familiar at all with the print/design world, it would be similar to designing with "bleed" (the extra color that extends beyond the 'cut' lines so you don't end up with white edges along your cuts)

3. Directorfilms thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks jshbckr for your reply,

I am using HD footage, and yes it did come into my mind that it might be the overscan/title safe area. I suppose i will have to live with it, or try and shrink the image in FCP, but then if i do that it will come out fine on a tv but look silly on a computer. Thanks for your help, i will keep searching.