my finder freezes constantly, restart does not help, usually last 20 mi. to 1 hour.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lovehaight, Jul 22, 2008.

1. lovehaight macrumors member

Restart does not help, usually last 20 mi. to 1 hour. Am using 10.4.11, with 1.5 gb memory, powerbook g4. Am simply getting the 'wheel'..all other items in dock work, but nothing finder related. Thank you! :confused:

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Have you repaired permissions thru Disk Utility?

3. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Try booting holding down the shift key. This will boot in Safe Mode. Does the finder freezes now?

4. lovehaight thread starter macrumors member

Holding shift does not work, neither does resetting PRAM

Holding shift does not work, neither does resetting PRAM..any other ideas? thanks!

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Did you check the SMART status of the HD and repaired the disk with Disk utility?

Also check the Console for errors.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ditto. Your HDD may be failing.

7. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I would also guess the HD is failing or possibly getting full. If the startup HD has no space it will act like that also.

8. lovehaight thread starter macrumors member

I have repaired disk utility, says its fine..however I have only 3 g memory left..will back up info and delete tommorow....how do I check the SMART? also how do I do a Console check? thanks

9. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

SMART status is found in Disk utility, in the right bottom corner of the windows when you select the drive.

The console is found in the Utility folder (inside the Applications folder). What to search exactly in the logs I don't know but report here the entries you find suspicious.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd also nominate the HD failing, though I wouldn't expect the SMART status to read bad.