Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2015
Hi, all,

A couple of months ago, I purchased my first Apple Watch, a Series 5. I had been putting off purchasing an Apple Watch for some years now, prioritizing other things. I had heard rumors that Apple was working on [feature], and I wanted to wait until [feature] was real before I went ahead and purchased one.

Well, it was clear from the outset that [feature] was going to be extremely unlikely to happen. Google was reportedly working on something along the same lines, and had been for years, with no luck. Eventually the rumors came through that both Apple and Google were giving up on [feature], which didn't surprise me. But there is third-party hardware that does the same thing, and a few months ago I started using it...and it has an Apple Watch app so that the data is beamed right to the watch face.

So I went ahead and took the splash, and it works as advertised, and that alone has made the purchase worth it. I'm not a fitness buff, and I've even yet to get into the habit of looking at my wrist for the time instead of my computer screen, lol. But it does this one thing, [feature], does it well, and that's great.

So...this past weekend my partner and I went kayaking (if you are imagining me as a young, fit, adventurous type, athletically navigating a kayak through treacherous white water as I laugh at death, you are terribly off base, but I won't demand you stop). This is an activity where it's important I keep an eye on [data from feature], and it handled that well, and so I remained in good shape.

But then we wanted to get some video. I had my phone with me, in a clear plastic pouch around my neck. How am I going to paddle and shoot video? Wait, the Watch could handle that! I tucked the pouch into my life jacket, and used the remote camera button on the Watch to control the video. Brilliant!

And then, here's where it gets even better. Our favorite taco place, [name of business], announced last month that due to the pandemic, it was closing for good (that's not the better part, that's an awful part). They were still selling food for pickup each weekend in a limited time frame, until the end of September. We tried several times to get one last meal from there in...but one thing after another got in the way. We had made plans, with my partner's sons, to do so on this very day, the last day [name of business] would be open.

We forgot. WE FORGOT.

We were kayaking, which had been a spur-of-the-moment decision, because we forgot we were going to go to [name of business]. So, we're out there, and my watch buzzes. It's a phone call, from my stepson. He wants to know what the plans are for getting food from [name of business]. Holy sh*t! We cut and run, paddling back to the beach, just in time to get out of there and get an order in. Another 10 minutes, we would have missed our chance, FOREVER.

Had I not had the Watch, I would not have answered the phone. I probably wouldn't have felt it vibrate through its pouch and the life jacket. We would have missed it. We didn't miss it, only because I had the Watch.

It was one of those days where the Apple Watch proved to be not just a doo-dad but something that made an important (first-world) contribution to my life!

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
That's some pretty great storytelling highlighting the fantastic functionality of the iPhone/Apple Watch combo. I do have to say, though, that it would have been much more enjoyable without the unnecessary censorship. What's this feature you were seeking? What app replaced your need? What's the restaurant?

WHY WERE THESE DETAILS CENSORED??!?

Reactions: jambon and Tikatika

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2015
That's some pretty great storytelling highlighting the fantastic functionality of the iPhone/Apple Watch combo. I do have to say, though, that it would have been much more enjoyable without the unnecessary censorship. What's this feature you were seeking? What app replaced your need? What's the restaurant?

WHY WERE THESE DETAILS CENSORED??!?
Oh you'd understand.

*leans close, whispers*

It's just that [redacted] [redacted], and [redacted] can only [redacted] during [redacted]. If you don't [redacted] fully, the [redacted] can't properly [redacted]. So you see, without it, I wouldn't be able to [redacted] as well as a [redacted] [redacted] [redacted] [redacted].

[Redacted]?

Glene

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Ft Lauderdale
This is very disconcerting .....why in the world with anybody redact this post? Can some moderator come on and explain why this happened, without knowing, it really makes this whole post somewhat on readable or comprehendible…I too would guess A1HC or blood sugar....

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
This is very disconcerting .....why in the world with anybody redact this post? Can some moderator come on and explain why this happened, without knowing, it really makes this whole post somewhat on readable or comprehendible…I too would guess A1HC or blood sugar....

The original poster is just playing around, perhaps because they're not interested in sharing very personal details.

When the mods need to adjust post content they take out the whole post or whole sections, they don't do "[redacted]".

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I have spent quite a few weekends rafting on white waters and ... yeah it is dangerous. Very cool experience with the watch, thanks. And yes, I can't imagine life without this device. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: HDLA and lkalliance

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2015
Gosh I didn't mean to disconcert anyone. I don't like sharing personal details, that's all. I guess I should have just shortened the post or not posted it. I just had this very positive experience and I wanted to share. Apologies, everyone.

Reactions: lyngo

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The way the OP post worded his post is almost unreadable (Actually, I didn’t even read 2/3 of it). I get you’re trying to tell a story here for privacy reasons and that’s understandable, but you can just leave out details by not saying anything at all at all versus ‘Name of business‘ or ‘Feature’ of Apple Watch. For Common practice, there’s other ways around this without making your post unnecessarily awkward For the viewers.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The way the OP post worded his post is almost unreadable (Actually, I didn’t even read 2/3 of it). I get you’re trying to tell a story here for privacy reasons and that’s understandable, but you can just leave out details by not saying anything at all at all versus ‘Name of business‘ or ‘Feature’ of Apple Watch. For Common practice, there’s other ways around this without making your post unnecessarily awkward For the viewers.

I, for one, found it perfectly readable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.