Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Argand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
I’ve been waiting over one year now for Leopard to come out so that I could buy my first Mac. Well, I decided that I couldn’t wait any longer and that I would order before the Leopard rush (besides, I get the education discount so Leopard won’t cost much). I bought the 24” iMac 2.8, and I couldn’t be happier!

I was very concerned about the issues many report regarding the 24”, so the first thing that I did was test it. There are no dead pixels and no yellowing, but the left and right side of the screen are less bright than the middle (this is only noticeable on solid backgrounds; it’s no problem at all for normal computing). The top of the unit does get very hot, but that is to be expected.

The new slim keyboard is awesome, it’s much more comfortable than I expected, considering that I hate laptop keyboards. The mighty-mouse, however, leaves a lot to be desired. I’m going to give it a month or two to see if I get used to it, but there are several things I dislike. First, the lack of buttons; second, the scroll ball doesn’t always work unless you press just right; third, the side button is difficult to use; and last, the right click doesn’t work very well.

The 24” screen is amazing, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to work on a small screen again. Importing my iTunes was a bit of a pain, having to manually edit the XML file to get the play-lists and ratings to copy over.

I knew full well that the iMac was not a gaming machine, but the benchmarks for WoW seemed acceptable. With all settings maxed out, I get about 22fps in full screen WoW, which is somewhat disappointing, but acceptable considering the early driver version and Apple’s apparent lack of interest towards the gaming market. Heck, I almost bought a Mac Pro so that I could get a good gaming machine, but I was not willing to shell out the extra $1k for that (I could build a Win-box for that much). Anyway, I knew it wasn’t going to be great and I’m still very pleased overall.

As for shipping, I ordered it on Thursday afternoon, 9/27 and paid for expedited processing. I did have a custom order, so it had to come from China. Even with the Chinese Golden Week holiday and a FedEx expected delivery date of 10/8, I received it on 10/3.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 189

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I’ve been waiting over one year now for Leopard to come out so that I could buy my first Mac. Well, I decided that I couldn’t wait any longer and that I would order before the Leopard rush (besides, I get the education discount so Leopard won’t cost much). I bought the 24” iMac 2.8, and I couldn’t be happier!

I was very concerned about the issues many report regarding the 24”, so the first thing that I did was test it. There are no dead pixels and no yellowing, but the left and right side of the screen are less bright than the middle (this is only noticeable on solid backgrounds; it’s no problem at all for normal computing). The top of the unit does get very hot, but that is to be expected.

The new slim keyboard is awesome, it’s much more comfortable than I expected, considering that I hate laptop keyboards. The mighty-mouse, however, leaves a lot to be desired. I’m going to give it a month or two to see if I get used to it, but there are several things I dislike. First, the lack of buttons; second, the scroll ball doesn’t always work unless you press just right; third, the side button is difficult to use; and last, the right click doesn’t work very well.

The 24” screen is amazing, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to work on a small screen again. Importing my iTunes was a bit of a pain, having to manually edit the XML file to get the play-lists and ratings to copy over.

I knew full well that the iMac was not a gaming machine, but the benchmarks for WoW seemed acceptable. With all settings maxed out, I get about 22fps in full screen WoW, which is somewhat disappointing, but acceptable considering the early driver version and Apple’s apparent lack of interest towards the gaming market. Heck, I almost bought a Mac Pro so that I could get a good gaming machine, but I was not willing to shell out the extra $1k for that (I could build a Win-box for that much). Anyway, I knew it wasn’t going to be great and I’m still very pleased overall.

As for shipping, I ordered it on Thursday afternoon, 9/27 and paid for expedited processing. I did have a custom order, so it had to come from China. Even with the Chinese Golden Week holiday and a FedEx expected delivery date of 10/8, I received it on 10/3.

I am looking into buying iMac, and also want to play WoW....so with 22 fps do you have any problems playing the game, does it skip at all...

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Windows for gaming

If you really want to play games, it's well worth putting bootcamp on, installing windows, and putting the latest ATI drivers on. It's then actually damn good for gaming or other intensive 3d stuff.

Maybe apple will surprise us with decent 3d performance in leopard though.

Argand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
I'll install bootcamp when I buy Leapord this month and see how that goes. At 22fps I don't see any noticeable issues.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
If you really want to play games, it's well worth putting bootcamp on, installing windows, and putting the latest ATI drivers on. It's then actually damn good for gaming or other intensive 3d stuff.

Maybe apple will surprise us with decent 3d performance in leopard though.

I just finished a 3 hour marathon of Bioshock in Bootcamp-installed Windows, at 1280x768 with full lighting, textures, and details. In a word...awesome :)

I tried updating the ATI drivers BTW...couldn't find anything newer than what I was using. Weird...

teiresias

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
I just finished a 3 hour marathon of Bioshock in Bootcamp-installed Windows, at 1280x768 with full lighting, textures, and details. In a word...awesome :)

I tried updating the ATI drivers BTW...couldn't find anything newer than what I was using. Weird...

Which ones are you using? I've seen people using both 7.10 and the 8 beta.

I should get my iMac next week. I'm just going to leave it as is until Leopard ships and then reinstall everything from scratch when that gets here and then bootcamp the machine. I can't be away from Baldur's Gate 2 or Oblivion for too terribly long!!

Yes, yes, I know there's a Mac version of BG2, but I can't find a copy to save my life, and I need to bootcamp for a few work things anyway so I may as well use the PC version.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
Which ones are you using? I've seen people using both 7.10 and the 8 beta.

I know there's a Mac version of BG2, but I can't find a copy to save my life, and I need to bootcamp for a few work things anyway so I may as well use the PC version.

I assume you mean that all the stores are constantly sold out? :cool:

I'm using the factory installed drivers. I went to ATI/AMD and tried to install the new package, and I got an error warning...can't remember what it said...something about not having the correct hardware. I'm sure it's because I have auto-update disabled in Windows and have not updated a thing except DivX (BioShock installed my DirectX updates for me :D )

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

I assume you mean that all the stores are constantly sold out? :cool:

I'm using the factory installed drivers. I went to ATI/AMD and tried to install the new package, and I got an error warning...can't remember what it said...something about not having the correct hardware. I'm sure it's because I have auto-update disabled in Windows and have not updated a thing except DivX (BioShock installed my DirectX updates for me :D )

To install the drivers you have to go via the Control Panel and select the Update Driver on the graphics card's window. Tell it you have the driver and choose the ATI directory and go down until you find the inf file. Then select HD2600XT from the list. Windows does not make life easy. I just upgraded the WiFI card to work on n mode under XP. PITA! :mad:

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
To install the drivers you have to go via the Control Panel and select the Update Driver on the graphics card's window. Tell it you have the driver and choose the ATI directory and go down until you find the inf file. Then select HD2600XT from the list. Windows does not make life easy. I just upgraded the WiFI card to work on n mode under XP. PITA! :mad:

Agreed re. Windows and their fu$#ing "WOW" BS. PITA is a gross understatement... :mad:

Anywhoo, I tried your suggestion, and got the message "Windows couldn;t find a better match" blah blah blah. I'm about to try installing the ATI Catalyst 7.10 driver from the site....here's hoping...

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
"Setup could not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system". Rargh...what am I missing?

I h8 w1ndoze...

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
Device manager tells me I'm running Driver Version 8.39.0.0

I guess I'm already at full power, Cap'n. I guess I was thrown by the cryptic error message.

Back to BioShock...

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Agreed re. Windows and their fu$#ing "WOW" BS. PITA is a gross understatement... :mad:

Anywhoo, I tried your suggestion, and got the message "Windows couldn;t find a better match" blah blah blah. I'm about to try installing the ATI Catalyst 7.10 driver from the site....here's hoping...

That's your problem. You shouldn't let Windows do the install for you. You have to install it manually. The problem is that laptop drivers are supposed to be issued only by the laptop manufacturer (or sanctioned by them). You have to force Windows to accept the drivers in the ATI inf file.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
That's your problem. You shouldn't let Windows do the install for you. You have to install it manually. The problem is that laptop drivers are supposed to be issued only by the laptop manufacturer (or sanctioned by them). You have to force Windows to accept the drivers in the ATI inf file.

Ahhh. But am I not running the most current version already based on the version numbers?? Or am I missing something?

Many thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.