My first Mac and the crazy story of how I bought it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AbjectEvolution, Jun 17, 2010.

1. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

I am writing this message out on my Macbook Pro i7. This happens to be the first Mac computer that I have ever owned. I am absolutely loving the experience so far. What seems to be worth more than anything though is the rare story that goes along with how I bought the computer. I thought I would share it here.

I have been obsessing about what specs to chose when configuring my MBP for the past two months. I sold my self built desktop PC and some music gear, and found out that I was still about $800 short of the specs that I wanted. I came into the Macrumors forum to ask for suggestions on what specs I could downgrade to fit my budget better. The thread was very successful and I appreciate the help!

Towards the end of the 2nd page, a forum member posted that a friend had a MBP with the exact specs I was looking for and they were wanting to sell it. That’s rare enough as it is that I would find someone who has the exact specs I want, but trust me.. it gets better.

The mods quickly erase the post understandably as it’s against the rules. However I just so happened to see it right before it was deleted and I PM’d the member. He explains to me that his friend bought some of these computers to contract out to his employees, but one of them didn’t want to accept the responsibility and so he had one left over. He was nice enough to help the guy try and sell the computer and decided he would mention it in my thread.

I tell the guy that I’m not sure that I’m comfortable with buying a used computer, especially when I can’t see it in person… but I ask him where he lives thinking that maybe if he is close by, I can check it out. He responds back with his city and state and his phone number. I notice that his phone number shares my area code and also, he lives in a city that is 15 minutes from me.

I figure this is a scam and he must have seen my location in my profile, but I look and it’s not listed. I call the guy and he is shocked to find that I share his area code and I explain to him that I live right next door. It also turns out that his friend who is selling the computer shares my first name.

The next night we meet up at the Apple store to get the computer checked out. Turns out the computer was only 5 days old and was in perfect condition. I bought a dvi adapter and then came back to my place to pay the guy and accept the sale. In the end, I saved around $700 on a brand new MBP i7 and also got some great accessories like a RCA video cable with S-Video and a Wrapsol package.

Another thing that’s kind of crazy is that I have been planning on buying a laptop for 3 years now. Each year I come up with a good sum of money and I customize a Dell laptop online, only for something to get in the way that takes my money. Finally when I’m actually able to get my laptop, it ends up being a Mac. This whole thing seems like a crazy form of fate.

It has been about a week since buying the computer and we have become good friends and will be going up to the Apple store together on the 24th to buy the iPhone 4. The computer has been working out great and it’s everything and more that I thought it would be. I finally said goodbye to the PC world and I’ll never look back.

I hope you enjoy the story as much as I’ve enjoyed the experience.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Did the experience make you fall asleep? I keed I keed, enjoy the new mac.

3. AbjectEvolution thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried to figure out how to shorten it... sorry it was boring :)

I am enjoying it... thanks.

4. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Great!!! I glad you happy with it :D

BTW, do u know why he's selling when the machine only 5 days old?? Because I'd get return and get the refund~

5. Corsairkid macrumors member

Sounds like you got really lucky with all the timing and everything..that is so crazy! Congrats on your purchase!

6. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Excellent stuff, I remember your i5 vs i7 thread asking whether it was worth saving even more for a i7. Glad you got what you wanted for a sizeable chuck less :D

Is it standard config, or any extra configurations?

7. PinkLuxe macrumors member

8. tungo529 macrumors member

It's an i7 with 7200 rpm HD, hi-res antiglare. Originally had 8GB of RAM, but the RAM was pulled and placed into a computer that he was using. The computer was purchased June 3 of this month so it was no more than a week old when the OP bought it.

Cliffs of the entire ordeal:
    - Derek, the OP created a thread on whether he should get the i5 or the i7

- I reply in his thread that my friend, who ironically is named Derrick (spelled different) had his exact specs that the OP wanted and wanted to sell it.

- B/C of my low post count, the mods removed my post, which was understandable, but ironically, the OP was able to read the post just minutes before it was removed

- He sends me a PM asking about the computer and where I lived. I answer and tell him that I'm from Kansas City.

- 10 minutes later, while I'm browsing macrumors while at work, I get a phone call from my area code. Answer my iPhone, and the first words are, "Hey Dennis, this is AbjectEvolution from Macrumors." My jaw practically dropped to the floor. I could not believe that AbjectEvolution and I shared the same area code.

- Crazy ENOUGH, he lives no more than 15 minutes away from me. Over the internet, he could have been from anywhere, but it blows my mind how we lived in the same state, let alone no more than 15 minutes away from each other.

- We talked on the phone and texted back and forth for 2 days before we met last Friday. Had the computer checked out and it checks out fine.

- Derek the OP decides he wants the computer, and I give him Wrapsol, and Apple video adapter as a part of the deal

My friend Derrick owns an IT company and bought 5 of the same spec computers for his company. He was going to contract them out to his employees, but one of the guys decided that he didn't want the new computer as he was fine with the one that he was using, so Derrick my friend asks me to sell it and sell it for considerably less. He could have returned it and paid the restocking fee, but he didn't want to deal with the hassle and would rather have me sell it. Within 24 hours, the computer sale was a done deal.

I don't know if the OP is fine with me posting how much he got it for, but it's a hell of a deal for a practically brand new computer. The battery had 1 cycle on it. My friend paid 2900 for the computer and this was a HUGE discount.

Now me and Derek talk pretty much everyday. I made a friend through the forums. Thanks MacRumors

9. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

It quirks like this in life that make me smile, sounds like the MBP was destined for AbjectEvolution :)

That's really nice specs, in his original thread asking for buying advice he came across as a decent person; so it's good that you were able to help him attain something that would have been unreachable for his finances brand new from Apple.

After some of the cynical bitching and arguments I read on here, this thread makes a nice refreshing change and mad me smile.

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

so the 24th is the second date i presume? :p
    jk, that is awfully crazy...but it's good to know that you found a friend who shares the same interests as you do :]

you can never get bored of that :}

**congrats, and i wish i would've found a friend like that! lol

11. AbjectEvolution thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm glad the story made you smile... it sure made my day.

12. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I'm more shocked this happened on the internet and it wasn't a scam.

Enjoy the MBP.