My first MBP 13.3 I5 500gb HD 4GB Ram small dent on top

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WD007, Mar 31, 2012.

1. WD007 macrumors newbie

this was an open box item at Best Buy I bought last fort $925. I apologize I have been on here for months but this is my first post and I haven't posted on anyone else's questions because I just do not know enough yet to be of help. But I was going to take this unit to Apple today and make sure there is no damage internally and that everything was working fine. The Geek Squad said it was but I don't trust them because it was an open box and ilife and a few other things were missing even though it said the box was complete. I didn't see any dads etc so I don't know if there are supposed to be any in here it did come with Lion Insalled but no ilife even though they said it had it so I am going back today to get it. Sorry to be so longwinded but given the small dent is this a fair price if there is nothing wrong with the MBP itself as I was told. I really have fallen in love with the Mac way of doing things since acquiring my iPad and iPhone so I wanted my next laptop to be a mac. But I was just wondering what thoughts were? I have 30 days if anything isn't good to return it or if Apple says there is damage. I plan on buying Applecare because I do not know when the warranty started although I read a few posts of people getting the date reset on open box items. I was concerned about the slight dent. I can send pictures to show you what it looks like.

Thank you in advance for your help and I look forward to joining the community you guys are very knowledgeable.

Sincerely,
    W

2. WD007 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hi

I really don't know what you are wanting us to say. However if you have a dent on your mbp and feel items are missing, then can you no return everything back and get your money back?

Or did you get the MBP at that price knowing a dent is on the MBP? Regarding Apple Care, I do not think Apple Care will cover the product if it has some sort of damage. Someone else may be able to confirm that.

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Like with all warranty, damaged caused by the user is not covered. So dents, scratches water damages etc is never covered by warranties or apple care.

OP, i would actually recommend you return the MBP, get the money back. Save up a little more and then buy a refurbished MBP from the online Store: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac There is your model there for $1019. And its technically brand new!!!!! See thing is that if your screen has a problem in the future and you go to apple to fix it, under apple care, there is a possibility that they deny the repair because of the dent. Saying that thats how it broke. You know what I mean? I wouldn't risk it.

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I recommend that you call Apple to make sure your warranty begins on the date of purchase. If this was opened AND used, the warranty period began on the first day. Apple is pretty good about resetting your warranty to the date of sale if purchased from a certified dealer but this does not happen automatically. This also gets you 90 days or phone support plus the 1 year warranty.

A small ding, if its just a small ding, is not a big deal. If you didn't know it had the ding until you go it home you can return and ask for a better price or... In time you may put more dings on it if not careful. Just watch out for spills on the keyboard as that can be certain death

6. DryEyez macrumors 6502

7. WD007 thread starter macrumors newbie

why return it?

I am getting the display switched out under the warranty and since the computer was new and under warranty it is still eligible for applecare. At least this what Apple told me when I called them....I woulrid like to wait for Ivy Bridge but this deal sounded too good to pass up...am I wrong on that part about price?

thanks for all the response so far,
    W

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Just enjoy it. And make sure your apple warranty began with the day of sale, not the day it was turned on - this is how you check it. Get the serial number - which you get by clicking on the Apple icon - About this Mac - More Info - Hardware (at least that's how it works using Snow Leopard) then input that serial number into this link
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do?newid=y

9. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I also say you return it and get your money back. For a bit more, you can buy a refurb right from apple. If you go that route then you get the benefit of first buying it from apple, second it comes with one year of applecare, third it is thoroughly tested by apple before being placed up for sale. The price is good, but if there is a dent and missing software who knows what the previous owner did to it or why they returned it. You could be in for a lot of problems down the road and then you would be more or less screwed.

10. a.chufong macrumors member

+1 for returning the Open Box.

$925 is a solid deal but, as the previous poster mentioned, it's not so far off from the refurb price. Scratches on the chassis are one thing, but dents are an entirely another things - who knows what other internal damage there might be? IMHO, the extra cash for the peace of mind is definitely worth it.