My first movie rental experience: if this speed is normal it's my last experience too

Discussion in 'iPod' started by PDE, Feb 21, 2008.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

I thought I'd try the new itunes rental service, opened itunes and selected my movie. I've never had such a slow download! I have a fast cable line and (10000 kpbs) and it says 6 hours remaining for the download! Is this normal? If it is, this a useless service. I mean, the whole point of getting things online is immediate access. Am I missing something here?

2. billabong macrumors 6502

Must be alot faster for AppleTV then, cause I have about a 30 second wait time for SD movies and about 5-10minutes for HD ones...

3. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Yeah, I can start watching a HD rental on my AppleTV within 30 seconds of hitting the rental button, and I only have 6mbps DSL. I'd say there is something wrong with your network speed, or your ISP is throttling traffic from the iTunes Akamai servers.

4. filmguy15 macrumors member

Yeah, I've never waited more than 2 minutes to start watching on my ATV. I've rented a few straight from iTunes as well, and they took an hour at most to finish downloading. It's got to be throttling....

5. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

A little bit of a false alarm....it got faster and downloaded the entire movie in one hour. Also, I noticed that I could start watching before it was downloaded, even though it did stop at one point because it hadn't downloaded enough.

I tested my download speed and it was fine so I don't know what happened. At least it wasn't 6 hours! Sorry for the alarmist post, but I was surprised that it showed 6 hours...

Cheers

6. virus7 macrumors member

i have rented 2 movies from iTMS and they took about 30 min to fully download (they were both around 1GB)

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It took me about 30 minutes to download 1.3GB for me - this was over wireless (802.11n) to my MBP, but I had a video chat going the whole time, so I would think it would have been even faster if that was all I was doing.

8. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

were you downloading anything else at the time (iTunes/Non-iTunes) and using any video games or other applications? When I use uTorrent, it's usually impossible for me to download an iTunes TV Show (Kinda silly for me to use it anyway since I can get the file off that for free if I wanted to). Did you look at it after 20mins too, because the initial time for me is usually 6 hours, and it boils down to about 20min and finally finishes after 15min (For My Episodes of The Soup)

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

The fact you're connected to your router wirelessly wouldn't have made a difference. Very few internet download speeds even approach 802.11g transfer times.

10. Keebler macrumors 68030

glad it worked out, but holy panic button Batman! give new things a chance before getting too worked up :)