My first Verizon experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by excedrinpm, Sep 24, 2013.

1. excedrinpm macrumors newbie

I am an AT&T user and have owned iPhone since the first day of sales on the 3G. I ordered my 5s from Apple and am awaiting it's arrival (Im on the batch currently flying to Alaska).

My boss is a Verizon user and decided today he wanted to switch from his Android Droid device to an iphone and I was tasked with executing this desire. Of course because this phone number is on a business account the Apple online store will not allow me to order online (Dont ask why. I dont know)

I head over to the local verizon store (they call it Go Wireless). The sales guy finds out I am looking for the 5s. Informs me he is going to "call his close personal friends" at the other local stores and see if he can "pull a favor" get the phone here faster. Strange - thought they were sold out world wide? After finding out that they do in fact have three 64GB 5s at another local store that they just got in he decides to hang up with them as his "close personal" manager "friends" were not in. I ask him to have them hold one for me. He tells me one is on hold and they cannot hold any more without manager approval and the managers are not in. I jokingly suggest calling his manager friends personal phone and getting the OK. He tells me he doesnt know their phone numbers. I say "I thought y'all hung out". He replies "No, I would never hang out with those girls.".... ??

I ask him to call them back and verify they do have their eyes on a 5s 64GB and I will drive the hour to go get it. He tells me "Yes they have them. Im positive. My system says so"... I say, "Can you just call and ask a human to make double sure?" he refuses because his system is updated every 30 seconds and "is never wrong"

At some point he tells me I can either drive an hour to where they have the three 64GB 5s in stock or I can order there with him and that I'd only get it a day earlier if I get it from the other store... a day earlier? He then tells me when he orders the 5s from Apple he will get it to me in 2 days... I exclaimed "TWO DAYS?!". He assures me it would be there in two days. Okay ... i'll play along... "Wow, that's awful fast. I ordered my phone just after midnight on opening day and it isn't suppose to be here for another two days." He says "Well, I just ordered one yesterday and it got here in two days"... (For those who are sleepy, feel free to read that last quote and really let it sink in)..... "....... o.... k?"

Anyways, moving forward. I tell the guy my boss is switching from Android to iPhone. I am unsure how to transfer his info into the new phone. I told him "The boss doesnt sync his phone with his computer. Not sure if you even can with Droid. So how do we do that?" he tells me "Uh. Yeah you can sync to PC with android. Its actually way easier than with this *iphone*" (*iphone* was said in a poo-poo manner. Like the iphone is garbage.) --- I suppose this is an opinion, however I seem to believe the itunes interface is the most intuitive process for syncing as android really has no common, easy-to-use process.

Moving on I jokingly ask "Do we just pop the old SIM card into the new phone?" and he explains to me that the iphone doesnt have an external storage space. I laughed and said "Right.. I was talking about the SIM anyways. Its fine" and he tells me "you cannot access the SIM on an iphone" ---- Huh? Why do I keep all these fine paperclips around?

So he starts clacking on the keyboard. Eventually tells me to sign the little digital pad. There is nothing on it and I am confused. By the way, this pad had to be from 1995, no color, no brightness, 8-bit. After probably 30-45 seconds the prompt shows up and says something to the effect of "I agree to the conditions, yadda yadda, on the receipt"... I said "Can I see the receipt?" he tells me "Yeah. After you sign that screen"... I said "Well, I can't sign to an agreement I dont know the specifics to. I should at least get to know I am ordering the right model, size, and color of phone.. right?" and he tells me "You can always return it."

I sign just because I was told by the boss to get it done.

He then notes the shipping date and I can tell that's what he's huffing about.. "What the??.... What? ... HMM.... Well..." and of course I give the ol' "Told ya so" look... as he said "Well, it looks like it's not going to ship until October 20th!" ... Well NO ***** buddy. (The receipt once I got it said ship date Oct 28th, but who's counting?)

EDIT: This guy was a manager. At least according to his little necklace name tag.

In the end I would have to say a couple of things:
    1. I really do dislike going to cell phone box stores
    2. Verizon really should audit employee intelligence
    3. I will not be switching to Verizon anytime soon (not that Im a huge AT&T fan, I just can't switch from crap to crap)
    4. I feel bad for any new iphoners who encounter such non-educated sales people
    5. You would think any one even remotely in the "biz" should know that the iPhone5s is back ordered right now.

:apple:

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

i have an AT&T and a verizon phone

verizon is better, but slightly. not worth it to switch my personal account to them

3. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

That's because Go Wireless is an Authorized Retailer of Verizon and shouldn't be judged as a corporate store. They will do anything in their power to get sales/preorders, their job depends on it (and commission). They I'll hire anyone too, because people are in and out of those places in 6 months max.

4. excedrinpm thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I figured something to this. You would still think that as a place representing Verizon that Verizon may want to bump up quality control.

5. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

+ 1 Spazma7ik.

For anything beyond getting accessories or looking at phone models, always go with a corporate store over a reseller.

6. legioxi macrumors 6502a

They do... go to a Verizon Corporate store.

Seriously, they can't control who third party companies hire to run those stores.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Sure they can.

"Hey Go Wireless, this is Verizon calling. Yeah, good, good. Listen, we're seeing a rising trend of complaints regarding how your employees are treating our customers. Just a heads up that we're not going to approve you for any new locations carrying our products until you get that addressed."

8. Pirate515 macrumors member

I guess the fact that it was an authorized retailer and not a corporate store should have set off red flags right there. AFAIK, mom-and-pop resellers do not sell iPhones, you need to pick one up either from Apple, carrier's corporate store, or from big name chains like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Radio Shack, etc. What these retailers probably do is order that iPhone at full retail, then use the money they get from you and carrier kickback they get for signing you up on a contract to cover their expenses.

9. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I consider not able to surf and talk at the same time a downgrade...

10. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

11. aka777 macrumors 6502a

The networks are reaching parity in quality with one another, with Verizon having the small advantage, especially in outer-metro areas. Both carriers are recommend.

In terms of customer service on the other hand, Verizon is always ranked in position #1 or #2 in various independent studies, while AT&T is typically ranked dead last.

AT&T works great, until you have some sort of issue, which is when you will be given the run around. In addition, it will require lots of calls and speakign to xx people to get it resolved.

12. excedrinpm thread starter macrumors newbie

So the receipt says $849.99... I paid $399.99. But they say I need to pay the tax when I pick up the phone of $73.10.

I called and a rep told me that I will pay the $399.99 but I have to pay the tax.

I explained I shouldn't pay the tax on the pre discounted price. She says I do.

Any replies on this?
    Apple hasn't taken the money for my order yet but they are estimating my tax based off the $399.99 not the pre-discounted price.

13. Jws macrumors regular

What state do you live in? It will depend on your state statutes.

14. alent1234 macrumors 603

Ny state you pay tax on the full price