My First week with the Droid Bionic...not trolling.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikelegacy, Nov 13, 2011.

1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Hey guys, iPhone AND Android owner here. Mainly because I wanted something new that wasn't an iPhone 4 with Siri.

Anyways, I've had the Droid Bionic for a little over a week now and wanted to compare and contrast what I like and hate about it compared to the iPhone.

First off, it's huge. Not quite as big as the prime, but huge in its own right. I have large hands, so that doesn't bother me. Even then, I still find the size of the iPhone 4 to fit ever so nicely in my palm.

The battery one the bionic was awful for the first few days. So awful that I barely used it and in 5 hours, it was dying. I deleted a bunch of widgets and that seemed to help, it still gets crushed by the iPhone's battery in terms of heavy usage. It's really a shame, because it's a fun phone to use overall.

I love the google voice search that competes with Siri. Obviously, it's not as fun as siri, but it works just the same. It almost never gets wrong what I am dictating. When I'm alone, I use it to text almost all the time. It's still awkward to talk to my phone when people are around though.

The number on thing that I love about Android and that I will wish until the day that I die is implemented on the iPhone is the Swype keyboard. I can text 10 times faster and 5 times more accurate with it. It's wonderful. When I switch back to iPhone 5 next year and get rid of the Bionic, I'm really going to miss it.

The design of the phone really annoys me. It's big an ugly, and I just hate the way it looks in my hands, but I didn't have the patience to wait for the Prime or the Razr in the mail, and truthfully, I think those are ugly as well. I almost got the 4S, except I changed my mind when I would have had to wait 2 weeks for that as well.

Overall, I love the widgets and useful things you can do on the Android, but it irritates me that I have to have Push email off or it drains my battery incredibly fast. My work depends on email based communication and i need my emails on time.

The Bionic is a nice device. It is better than an iPhone? Hell no.

4G = Amazingly fast. It's honestly faster than my home internet when I tether sometimes. Not always, but when my cable modem decides to get a little laggy, I switch to tethering. Which by the way is unlimited. How? I have no idea. I switched around on a family share with my mother and she was grandfathered in and they asked me If i wanted unlimited tethering for $30 a month. I said hell yes. I didn't even know they EVER offered an unlimited tethering plan on VZW.

But like I said, the Bionic is missing too much. Mainly in the UI that makes it just not very fun to use. I'll be switching back to iPhone in the coming year. That's for sure.

Hopefully this helps anyone else looking to maybe switch or add a second phone to their line.

Later.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

nice review. care to put up some pics?? How is the iPod aspect of it? thanks

3. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I agree mostly. My mom is on verizon (I have iPhone 4 on AT&T). The LTE on verizon is VERY fast like 20 Mbps but honestly she only uses it for calls, email, texting, and occasional web browsing although she was lucky enough to get grandfathered unlimited. I don't understand why you would need that blazing speed right now. 3-5 Mbps on my iPhone 4 is fine for what I do. And the wifi at home and work of 20 Mbps make up for downloading large files.

The phone itself is large, a little too large for me. Something between the iPhone and that would be perfect. The design is ugly and doesn't feel well it my hand. The phone UI is quick and pleasant although after less than a month a better phone has been released on Verizon that will probably get more support and a faster android update (RAZR) The battery life is horrible if you use LTE a lot.

Overall I still choose iPhone over this phone because of support from apple, battery life, UI smoothness, and overall design.

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

5. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Hi,

This is not a Droid Bionic forum. Your review might be better off in an android forum where people may be specifically looking for an Android handset.

Regards,

6. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Says the guy with a SGII vs iPhone 4 comparison in his signature.

[​IMG]

7. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I dont fail at all my friend. That was purely for the amount of SGS2 posts that were coming up on here at the time about how it was blowing away the iPhone. I got sent a free one so I did a little comparison for people on here to clear up a lot of misconceptions.

It wasnt a review of an Android phone in an iPhone forum.

Id say its you who has failed in your comprehension but im not an 'EPIC FAIL' or 'FTW' kinda guy ;)

8. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

So just because this is an iPhone forum doesn't mean we aren't interested in reading about the competition.

Great review OP.

9. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

+1

I liked the honest, non-trolling way he reviewed both handsets. Strong and weak points from a every day user point of view.

10. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I just got the Droid RAZR today and not a lot of time to fully review it yet, but lets just say so far it is AWESOME!

11. Gavernty macrumors 6502

Quit while you're ahead... Hypocrit much?

12. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I think Motorola got the Bionic all wrong. The Droid RAZR is what the Bionic should've been. The Droid RAZR from my usage has been very nice. I think Apple's ecosystem and overall system is better though.

The hardware is nice and they got a lot of things right on the Droid RAZR.

13. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

14. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

My amount invested in apps and the quality of apps keeps me with apple

15. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

16. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Htc known for bad battery life. Check out xda and find some custom roms as they can help with battery lie.

17. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I going to flame you there at first...but good review/post and welcome back to Apple land my good friend!

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Good short realistic(not overly technical) comparison.

19. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Good review.

It's too bad you didn't wait for the iPhone 4S. I ordered mine and the Apple site said it was going to ship in 2 weeks but it actually took 2 days and I had the phone in 4 days.

20. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

do you go get coffee between shots when in the camera app? like Phil Schiller said?

21. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Thanks for the positive nods folks!

Yes, the camera App is pretty slow. You could definitely never use it to take a quick shot of something moving.

I know man, I am terribly impatient :(

I just got to the point after months of waiting the the iPhone 5 that I just wanted something new and made an executive decision haha

I agree, but again, I couldn't wait any longer. I should have though. They just started pre-orders the day I got the bionic. I'm dumb and impatient

You obviously didn't read the post. It mentions the differences and likes/dislikes of both handsets. It's to help someone on THIS forum who is thinking of switching to Android. Any respect you may have gotten from me for your SGS2 post all that time ago was just lost in that one sentence.

----------------------------------

Anyways, a couple more things about the Bionic. I almost natively use my iPhone to surf the web now. It's so painful to surf on the Bionic. I almost threw it yesterday. Trying to scroll up or down the page results in so many accidental clicks it's crazy. The iPhone definitely gets the nod in touchscreen usability.

I am still loving that Swype. I'll campaign for that on the iPhone till the end :D

22. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

My First time reading mikelegacy's thread...not trolling.

[​IMG]

23. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

People are way too immature on this site...no wonder I don't post here anymore.

24. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

What do you expect. It's full of 18 year old hipsters.

25. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

True.... :D