My friend and I decided we want to be first in line for the next iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by Hummer, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Hummer, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011

Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

We're lining up tomorrow. Does anyone else in NYC plan on lining up early?

2. spikefood macrumors regular

Plan on waiting almost 3 weeks. The phone has not been announced, let alone a release date.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

How do you have 3 weeks to do nothing? How can you have 3 weeks to do nothing and afford the iPhone 5?

4. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Yep, we're prepared to go until Thanksgiving. And I put this in the wrong place. I meant to post this in meetups. Whoops.

I work on the internet.

5. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

How do you expect to power your devices for three straight weeks? Solar technology will not hold you out.

6. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

I bought a 35 hour battery backup that we can charge with solar in between and while fully charging our devices.

7. speeddevil45678 macrumors member

Please dont, just pre order and next day done!

8. spikefood macrumors regular

This. Pre-order and getting your iphone within the first few days is the easiest method. Unless you want some fame for being the first to line up, but that's a whole different can of worms.

9. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Solar is not a magical power source. It takes over two hours in direct sunlight just to push my iPhone to 30% power with my solar case. I can't imagine trying to charge a 35 hour battery with solar.

10. PrintNameHere macrumors newbie

He's obviously a CEO of some company, those guys make millions in bonuses everytime they do a layoff in the company, and with this economy, he must be rollin in it. :rolleyes:

11. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Well, we plan on plugging it in when we can, but when we can't we have the solar. I mean, we'll be right outside of a store that's open 24 hours.

You've figured me all out. The gig's over.

12. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Your nuts if you think you will be able to camp out in-front of an Apple Store. The police will kick you out after the first night.

Also, consider this, the potential iPhone release date is a RUMOR. You could be waiting for months for all we know.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yeah, the police will kick you out first night. Don't camp out just yet. At least wait until after the announcement. Good luck, though!

14. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Lots of negative nancys here. You'll get some publicity if you do it, for sure. If you've got the resources and the time, why not? Keep us posted on progress.

15. lionqueen macrumors 6502

16. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'll show up 24 hours before launch and be second in line behind you.

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

This is interesting since the exact date is unknown. Good luck and stay safe! Please bring pepper spray or some sort of defense even though you have your friend with you.

Earliest I plan on camping out is about 14 hours prior to whenever it launches.

18. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Even the guy in Dallas, who has achieved minor fame for waiting outside the Knox/Henderson store, waits until there's an announcement. Use this time to buy supplies and work out logistics. Practice using your solar battery, for example. Also, some pepper spray wouldn't hurt for any jerks, who want to mess with you two.

19. sam2428 macrumors 6502

lol, have fun

I camped for the first time for the ipad 2 and showed up around 4:45am. It was a lot of fun and i met some cool people....but this is pretty intense. I'm curious if you will actually stick it through or give up. Theres only so long I would personally go without sleeping in a proper bed or having every day necessities available.

I hope you plan on at least leaving to go shower...

20. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Assuming the phone launches on a Friday, I'll be coming home from work on Thursday about 5pm, showering, grabbing whatever it is I have pre-packed for the night, driving to Apple Ardmore and setting up camp. I figure this launch is going to be bigger then iPhone 4, and I got it line at 5:30am and was about 100th in line and had a great time, and no problems. I figure if I show up early Thursday evening I'll be somewhere in the top 30-50. But who knows with this one though. I guess I'll have a better feel once it's announced. For some reason I'm doubting the pre-order thing this go-round but IF I am able, I will pre-order for an in-store pickup. I'm just concerned with the whole "delayed bubble" rumor. If it's true & the first run is limited, it may be 1st come, 1st serve.

Anyone bringing a tent or anything? I'm thinking about buying one of those spring loaded 1-man tents. This way rain or shine I'll be ready. I'll also bring the iPad2 loaded with a couple movies to pass the time.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to camping out. I've always had a great time waiting in line for iPhones.

21. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Why do you think this will be bigger than the iPhone 4 launch?

I showed up at about 6:45 on iPad 2 day and was like second in line. Same for iPhone 4.

22. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

This has got to be one of the dumbest ideas i think i have ever heard. Go get a job or volunteer your time someplace. Some ideas to better help our society than wasting time on the corner of an Apple store.

23. zmulleni macrumors regular

zmulleni

Honestly one of them should have their CCW because if you think about it you're quite vulnerable. Especially if you are going to be out there with some higher end devices/expensive equipment that people may want to try and take advantage of the situation. If word gets out that you're doing this someone may see it and try something stupid. Regardless the fact is you're doing something that you want to do and obviously want to enjoy it so best of luck!

24. colormyworld macrumors member

Haha I'm cracking up reading some of the responses! I'm the friend who's going camping with Keenen. Neither of us are CEOs of anything, and neither of us is rich. We are doing this more for the experience. This might explain a little bit more: http://iphonewhatever.com/2011/09/24/ready-for-our-urban-icamping-adventure/

We know we can probably get the phone the first day whether we camp out or not. We both like to do random things, and yes, we may be a bit nuts for doing it, but so what? A little bit of crazy can be fun! :) Besides, I really do try to live by the no regrets rule. :) I am prepared for us to be bombarded with negativity, but that's okay. We are New Yorkers, which means we have a thick skin. ;)

Jessica

25. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

1) more carriers
    2) delay....uh, i mean later launch :rolleyes: