My friend bought an iPhone 4S about two weeks ago

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
3 days before the iPhone 5 was released he purchased an iPhone 4S unlocked for $650. 3 days later, the price of that phone dropped to $550. Is there a policy at Apple that will allow him to receive the $100 difference since it was so close to the price drop? Or is he S.O.L? :eek:

surfer17

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Canada
I agree, he should be able to return it within the return period if they don't return the difference to him..

Comment

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
My iPhone 5 arrived on launch day. After using it until two days ago, I found the various problems, shortcomings, and odd narrow display more than I was willing to put up with.

I've shelved the iP5, gone with my iP4S, and appreciate it more than ever.

Little did I realize just how nice it is to have a bug free phone, with Googles excellent, far superior maps. Using maps daily was the final straw causing me to dump the iP5. Of even greater interest is the other iP5 owners I know that have dome the same thing.

Even the guy in my department that sold his iP4S before ordering his iP5. He hated the iP5 experience so much he bought another iP4S.

Just when you least expect it, Apple reminds us newer is not always better.

Comment

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
3 days before the iPhone 5 was released he purchased an iPhone 4S unlocked for $650. 3 days later, the price of that phone dropped to $550. Is there a policy at Apple that will allow him to receive the $100 difference since it was so close to the price drop? Or is he S.O.L? :eek:
is your friend....you?

should of just bought a 5, why buy a 4S?

Comment

havenhamilton

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2005
My iPhone 5 arrived on launch day. After using it until two days ago, I found the various problems, shortcomings, and odd narrow display more than I was willing to put up with.

I've shelved the iP5, gone with my iP4S, and appreciate it more than ever.

Little did I realize just how nice it is to have a bug free phone, with Googles excellent, far superior maps. Using maps daily was the final straw causing me to dump the iP5. Of even greater interest is the other iP5 owners I know that have dome the same thing.

Even the guy in my department that sold his iP4S before ordering his iP5. He hated the iP5 experience so much he bought another iP4S.

Just when you least expect it, Apple reminds us newer is not always better.
You do realize that the display isn't any more narrow the 4s right?

Comment

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
lol @ ixodes Google map messed up too. Just like any of the map search. Stop thread jacking.

Comment

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
is your friend....you?

should of just bought a 5, why buy a 4S?
NO, I actually pre-ordered the 5 the day it was available at Best Buy, coming from the 4S. I finally got my 5 yesterday (Sunday) using Personal Pickup!

My friend bought the 4S unlocked, and got the 4S because he was on a time constraint (couldn't wait for the Apple stores to get regular stock in of 5's), and he's using it on Straight Talk, which doesn't produce nano sims yet. Now that the price is cheaper, he's wondering if there's anyway he can get the $100 difference.

Comment

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I asked a friend of mine what to do in your friend's situation and my friend said your friend should return the phone and either buy an iPhone 5 for the same price or rebuy the 4S, or just ask the Apple store's manager's friend for a price adjustment.

After the dust has settled, I think my friend and your friend and the Apple store manager's friend should get a drink.

Comment

m0no

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2009
NO, I actually pre-ordered the 5 the day it was available at Best Buy, coming from the 4S. I finally got my 5 yesterday (Sunday) using Personal Pickup!

My friend bought the 4S unlocked, and got the 4S because he was on a time constraint (couldn't wait for the Apple stores to get regular stock in of 5's), and he's using it on Straight Talk, which doesn't produce nano sims yet. Now that the price is cheaper, he's wondering if there's anyway he can get the $100 difference.
Did he purchase it from Apple? Just return it. Seems like the most logical thing to do.

Comment

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
I asked a friend of mine what to do in your friend's situation and my friend said your friend should return the phone and either buy an iPhone 5 for the same price or rebuy the 4S, or just ask the Apple store's manager's friend for a price adjustment.

After the dust has settled, I think my friend and your friend and the Apple store manager's friend should get a drink.
Well played.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So the general consensus is what I imagined, I'll let him know to give them a call and see if they'll be willing to do it, and if not then just return it. Thanks everyone!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.