My friend dropped iphone 3GS in toilet, backlight out *HELP!*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nelly41, Aug 8, 2010.

1. nelly41 macrumors regular

My friend dropped his iphone 3gs like a couple weeks ago in the toilet (was before he did his business) and now his backlight is out. His phone is completely dry and everything works fine minus the backlight. Water sensors have been tripped, he's out of warranty as well with apple even though i know they wont cover such a thing. I tried messing with the settings with the flickering to attempt to turn it on, hard resets a few times, and nothing seems to work. i did a lot of research online, but the only thing that i see is that he might have to replace that spring coil but that requires expert soldering skills or paying a guy around 150 to 200 to do it.

Any advice on what can be done? Can I buy a new board for the 3gs? I don't need a new digitizer.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why pay someone $150-200 when you can pay Apple $199 for an essentially new refurbished 3GS?

3. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

We're trying to avoid paying somebody at all costs (except of course buying replacement parts). lol.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

how much are you going to spend it replacement parts?

plus time and effort.

5. nexedzero macrumors regular

nexedzero

you can buy one that was broken off craigslist for parts and there a bunch of youtube videos on how to dissasemble it and fix the issue

6. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

three options

a) cheapest is find the lcd on ebay and just replace it yourself.. but there have been many people who have damaged their phones more doing this

b) go on cragslist and find someone that replaces the LCD.. It should cost you no more than $90

c) go to apple and get it replaced for $199

The problem with water is that it could be more than the lcd that is damaged.

I live in LA, If I wasn't so busy I would offer to help do it myself.. maybe next next weekend lol

7. cc999 macrumors 6502

try this

Try this:

Get a plastic zip lock bag
    fill 1/2 way with uncooked white rice
    remove all cases from IP4 shut down device
    put phone in bag with the rice and seal bag
    leave for 24 hours

then start and check phone

Fixed many a phone like this let me know if it works.

Charlie C

8. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

I really doubt that would fix a backlight problem

9. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

The phone is completely dry by now. It's been a while since it dropped in the toilet. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the board and that spring coil thing. Not an LCD issue. My next question would be if it is possible to swap out the board completely and keep everything else and if yes, then where can I find a board to buy? Thanks

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

yeah you really don't understand what you are doing

Just buy a replacement LCD panel, it will have everything you need on it

you can't just buy the LED lighting board

11. Argon21 macrumors member

Here's an idea: don't drop expensive electronics into the toilet.

12. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

http://www.ipartsrepair.com/iPhone-Replacement-Parts-For-Repair_c13.htm

13. johndallas macrumors newbie

johndallas

Same thing happened to me and my backlit went out. I replaced the LCD (30.00 off of ebay) and it was very easy. You just need to be a little mechanically inclined is all.

14. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's time you dropped your friend in the toilet.

15. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

C'mon guys. Stay on topic. No need for spam replies. Thanks for the help/advice for those who replied helpfully. I'm gonna checkout the replacement LCD idea.

16. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Best solution offered

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

+1

You asked for advice and need parts. I don't see how posting a link to a company that supplies parts is SPAM. Sure, we can all Google but show a little consideration. They didn't know your expertise and there are right now almost 500 people that viewed this thread and didn't post at all. Because I don't know if my advice will meet your requirements I simply wish you good luck.

18. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I was a board level tech for about 5 years and used to fix these types of things. the problem is that what u think is the issues may not be. yes it may be the lcd backlight is bad and a replacement lcd will fix it. BUT, it is also possible that some component on the board that regulates voltage to the lcd's lighting was damaged and that is the problem. Maybe it is a combination of both and unless you know how to trace foils and test components with a DVM, you can start replacing parts left and right and not fix it. what if you buy the lcd and take time to swap it out and it does not fix the problem. you are now into it $30 + Shipping+ time= maybe $50. but then that don't do it and now you have to buy the logic board IDK how much they are but lets just say $100+shipping+time= maybe $120. you are now into it for $170 and for another $20 you could have gotten a refurbished unit with a 90 day warranty and avoided the headache and hassle. Not to mention accidents. I hear the ribbon cables on iPhones are really fragile and can easily be damaged. if you damage the ribbon cable forget it the part is ruined. and a less experienced person could easily break a ribbon cable.

unless you have the equipment and know how, I would just pay the $199 and get the replacement.

19. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

I didnt say posting a link to supply parts is spam. I dont know how you misread that as I was calling it spam. It was meant towards the guys who replied with:

Posted by Argon21
    Here's an idea: don't drop expensive electronics into the toilet.

Posted by Bill Gates
    It's time you dropped your friend in the toilet.

Its hard to quote, copy, and paste everything on an iphone and trying to reply. The guy who posted a link was helpful as well as everybody who put in their input and advice. I just hate people who reply w/o being helpful or being off topic by joking around. Thats what I call spam. All I'm asking is for some helpful advice (which I got plenty of).

20. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I'm sorry I just can't resist, I'll edit this post if I can come up with any ideas.

Did you wipe it down with toilet paper?

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly what I was going to say.
    You play the guessing game it can end up costing you more money and alot of aggravation than getting it exchanged thru Apple.

22. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I posted the link and i did it because it very well could be cheaper than going to get it done at Apple and that link is a legit repair store and they use genuine parts.
    I did not look up what parts you need but getting anything done away from Apple has got to be cheaper.

EDIT...here is the water damage Link. Just thought it might be useful.

23. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok this past weekend I had a chance to take a look at my friends phone. After taking the phone apart I took a look at the logic board on the 3GS and the "coil" on the logic board that connects to the LCD connector is completely gone. I think it might of melted away somehow cause I see the little grooves/indentations on the board where the tiny metal pieces use to be. I was planning to clean the board with 91% Alcohol but I guess it wasn't not needed afterall. I don't think replacing the LCD will fix this issue either. What you guys think?