my friend threw my phone, bounced off the ceiling then landed on the pavement.. HELP.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smoothmaneuver, Dec 22, 2008.

1. smoothmaneuver macrumors newbie

worst accident i've seen. My friend feigned a throw but the phone slipped from his hands and hit the ceiling (about 10-12ft high) then hit the pavement... It landed on the the bottom left corner of the phone. It now has an ugly dent. When i picked it up it said no service but as i turned it off and on, it seemed everything was back to normal. Does my iphone have permanent damage inside? aside from the ugly dent, it seems to work fine. But i get irritated when i see the dent and this was no ordinary fall, it bounced off the ceiling and fell on the ground. What do you guys think i should do? should i replace the case of the iphone? . I want to send my phone to apple and open it to see if it really doesnt have any internal damage, and i want to replace the casing of the phone. How much do you think that would cost?

edit: my friend offered to pay for the cost to repair so don't say my friend sucks or something (even though that's what im thinking right now)

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

3 tips

1. Don't jailbreak your phone as it voids the warranty.
    2. Don't feign throwing an expensive device (especially if there's no warranty or uninsured).
    3. Stab your 'friend' with the dented phone (hopefully the dent has a sharp edge).

Seriously though, because it's jailbroken etc, there is pretty much nothing that you can do. Even if it was under warranty I don't think it covers accidental damage anyway.

My iPhone is under warranty but it has dents and scrapes in it (the 'silent' switch is now very stiff because of the dents). I dropped my phone getting out of my car and in an attempt to stop it hitting the road using my foot I inadvertently kicked it further down the road. :rolleyes: Theres nothing I can do about it because it was accidental. And yes the dents bug the hell out of me!

EDIT: I just thought, if the warranty doesnt cover accidental damage does it cover intentional damage? If it does then I intentionally volleyed my phone across the street. :D

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

isn't it obvious what you should do? clearly it was your friends fault, so how about making him pay for the repairs?

4. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

ditto, and threaten to kick his ass. then when you get your new phone, kick his ass anyways for the aggravation. also when he tries to impress the ladies who are into babies and kids, tell the story about how clumsy he is.

5. svndmvn Guest

6. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

7. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Upgrade to a refurbished iPhone and then sell that to cover for the costs of a new iPhone?

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I don't know why you just make him pay for the repairs. It was his fault, he should make it right.

If he doesn't want to pay, find his laptop and chuck it out into oncoming traffic. See how he likes it. :D

9. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

10. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

The jailbreak has nothing to do with it. Revirginizing the phone (i.e restoring it using iTunes) restores any warranty you may have left.

11. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Great friend, where can I get one, cause I just got a new iPhone 3G, and would love a custom dent.

12. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

HELP? What's anyone here supposed to do about it besides make dumb comments like this one?

13. smoothmaneuver thread starter macrumors newbie

don't get me wrong, he is a good friend of mine. In fact he was guilty and he was willing to shoulder the repairs. It was just a stupid move.

anyway no one answered my question: how much would it cost?

14. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Restore your iPhone through iTunes and take it to an Apple store and ask.

15. smoothmaneuver thread starter macrumors newbie

how about reading the last sentence of my first post and answering the question there?

reading comprehension ftw.

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

First, beat his ass. Has he offered you a new one?

Seriously, If he truly is a great friend, just let bygones be bygones and get over it. The dumbass didn't mean it. Just go on with your life (and with your dent), it seems things are just fine. But let him know that if it stops working in the next year or 2, you expect money.

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I doubt such service exists. Apple doesn't inspect the insides for people, they give out new (refurbished) phones. It is only during the refurb process do they open them up.

18. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Did you consider sending your friend on a similar trajectory?