My friend's iPhone 4 Smoked Windows Phone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tnisatard, Mar 30, 2012.

1. tnisatard macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

He got the free $1000 laptop.
    His challenge was to update his facebook status before the Microsoft employee.

2. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Wait... his phone was faster than a Windows phone, so they gave him a Windows computer?

Thank God for eBay.

4. adztaylor macrumors 68000

So they didn't tell him he lost "just because"? ;)

Seriously good on him though!

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

This is the most pathetic excuse for a competition I've ever seen. I hate the whole concept.

Still, fair play to the guy for beating the WiPho with his iPhone. Quite a feat considering how biased the battles are towards functions WiPho deliberately does very quickly. Just how essential it really is to be able to see the weather in two cities in two different states immediately upon unlocking the phone is quite another matter...

6. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I wish I knew they were giving away lappies for winning lol... I lost on purpose for the free Titan and Focus S !!!

Oh well, good for him! Which laptop did he get ? The Samsung 7/9 series ?

7. Rennir macrumors 6502

But in the competitions held at CES, the challenger was basically the one deciding what to do. From the videos I saw, the challenger first said what they liked to do with their phone and then the Windows guy suggested a function related to that.

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Then you've missed the whole point of this campaign! This is one of the best marketing schemes I've seen!

People are lining up in hoards gladly giving up their Android, Symbians, iPhones for a free Windows Phone with NO obligation!

Can't you see the business benefit (monetary, brand image, and market penetration) for Microsoft in this ?

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

No. Giving things away doesn't create any benefit, it massively devalues the product. Apple don't need to give away iPhones. Samsung don't need to give away Galaxys. Microsoft need to give away WiPhos.

I reviewed a Lumia 800 recently on Talk3G. The Lumia, and WiPho, have a long way to go. I returned mine. One day MS may get there, but that day is not today.

10. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I don't think you can see the business point of view in this... What MS is doing is creating demand. This is the same concept as Black Friday. Look up how the soda and cigarette industry got people addicted!

Giving away a product doesn't necessarily cheapen it's value...

11. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

12. blyan macrumors member

Hahaha holy crap is that what the inside of Microsoft stores look like?

Come on guys... that's BEYOND slightly copycat.

13. Damien macrumors regular

It's not about the giveaway, it's about creating an association with speed for Windows Phone.

I like the WP interface away, does feel livery and fresh.

14. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

you're coming at it from the wrong angle. (thats what she said)

15. Higginz macrumors newbie

Higginz

Notice how similar the store looks to an Apple ditto :confused:?

16. bellychris macrumors member

I thought it was the apple store. I was a little confused...

17. tnisatard thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol, it is extremely similar to the apple store. The funny part is if you look in the background, the black wall is where the Apple store is, it is closed for remodeling until April 6.

18. Kavok macrumors member

Laptop??

I thought the prize was $1000. Am I missing something? :confused:

19. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

It's a $1000 laptop

20. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Microsoft had a promotion going where you'd stack up your phone against theirs, and if you won [ example: take a picture and upload to FB ] you'd get a $1k laptop, and if you lost you'd have the option to trade in your smartphone and get a free Windows one for your carrier. No contract, no financial obligation, no CC info was required.

However, this promo ended on March 29th, IIRC.

21. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

As much as others have marked you down, that's pretty much hit the nail on the head. I can't understand what people deem to be negative about it, because it's true.

The iPhone, even the 3GS, continues to sell units without any giveaway publicity. The Galaxy S2 is Samsungs flagship smartphone and sells by the shedload, again without any quirky campaigns or promos.

Still, well done to the boy who beat them in their challenge.

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

How'd he do it? I'd imagine these tests are pretty well designed so that Windows phone would win.

23. DroidRules macrumors 65816

So how would you suggest they set up a store to display their products and make them accessible? I have been in Vrz and ATT stores... they have tables set up with their phones on them. So are they copying Apple too? Fan on fanboi.

Good deal for your friend OP.

24. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. Those challenges are hard to beat. I wonder if he practised first.

25. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Goodness me, yes, that post has been marked down quite a bit since I was last on this thread.

I think I'm coming at this from a different angle to those who disagree. That's fine. I'm looking at it from the perspective of an industry observer. I can certainly see that, for the people taking part, there are potentially only upsides to this 'competition'. Perhaps I should pop along with my Nexus One...

What I also see is that this exercise will have no lasting positive impact in terms of generating demand for people actually buying Windows Phone handsets. There will be a limited enthusiasm surrounding those who have taken part, but actual purchasers may struggle to find the same level of value. I certainly struggled to find £400 of value in the Nokia Lumia 800! I'm reminded of Nokia's various SM activities over the last few years, where it basically subsidised the entire enthusiast community with access to free devices in exchange for blogs and reviews. Ultimately it wasn't enough to stop the market readjusting itself, or arguably even impacting the market, but it made a subset of people extremely galvanised to the Nokia cause.

For the savvy, this competition grants them a new phone, which they may or may not go on to like but, as they'll attach little value to it, it doesn't matter. For a few, this competition will galvanise them into believing that Windows Phone is simply the best out there. All may be encouraged to go online and write favourable reviews and comments about their devices. But, at the end of the day, this is still a strategy of a company that is failing to get its devices to sell.

(To allay the fears of anyone concerned that I'm simply "anti-", my thoughts on the Nokia Lumia 800 are here for your reference).