My (good) experience with a cracked screen and the Genius Bar (Switzerland)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arubinst, Jan 17, 2009.

1. arubinst macrumors 6502

Hi, I'm sorry for the long post. If you have a problem similar to the one I describe here, it's probably worth the read.

So I was looking at my screen a couple of weeks ago, and I discovered something that looked like a scratch. It was right in the middle of the long edge, on the left side, and it was a thin and very short hairline, not even one cm long.

My nail revealed that this scratch was actually a crack.

I keep my phone in my pocket and I don't use any kind of screen protector or case, but I never have anything else in there besides the phone. My screen had managed to stay immaculate and it would always show smooth and polished with just the touch of a wet towel.

So having read this post, which describes a situation quite similar to mine, I figured that I was not covered under warranty and I started complaining and damning Apple and Steve and the Apple Store in Geneva ;)

Well, the thing is that I still decided to give it a try and drove 40 minutes of highway to get to the Store. The thing went like this:

Me: Hi, I have a little problem with my iPhone. I was cleaning the screen the other day when I noticed this. At first, I thought it was a scratch, but when you touch it with your nail, it seems to be a crack. What do you think?

Genius: Yes, it definitely is a crack. But we cannot replace the glass. I'm afraid we'll need to replace the whole phone...

Me: The phone? How much is that going to cost me? (innocent face and slow talking) Or is this covered under warranty?

Genius: Of course it is covered. Have you backed up your phone recently?

Me: I just did right before I left home

Genius: Alright, let me see it please...

Five minutes later, I get out of there with a shiny new iPhone. It didn't come out of an original box or a white box. It was actually inside a brown cardboard box, sealed with transparent tape.

Now, some things I've noticed since I have the new phone:

- The screen looks much, much, much better than the one I used to have
    - The buttons feel better (I really can't explain)
    - The volume of the speaker is much louder than the old one
    - The volume of the headphones output is (at least) 10 times louder than the old one. This was one big complaint I had with my former phone. It seamed to have a very low volume. With this thing, I can't pump the level beyond 60%. It even saturates my car connection if I go over 50 %
    - No light leaks, no dead pixels, no dust under screen

This phone seems to be just perfect and it definitely has a much better manufacturing/QC than the one I exchanged.

So, if you're in a situation like this, I encourage you to go to your local Apple store. This has to be a known issue because the Genius didn't even blink when I showed him the phone and it took him 5 seconds to tell me that I would be taken care of.

Cheers

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'm really happy, and love to read about such great experiences at the Apple store. Unparalleled service is why I keep coming to Apple again and again. I've heard numerous times and it seems to be getting more frequent - Apple's QC is stepping up now that most of the "New" buzz has slowed a bit... Congrats!

3. HyperSnake macrumors member

Hi, I live in Geneva too and recently I have started noticing dust under the screen, an about 2mm long rainbow colored spot in the middle of my screen(don't really know if that's what you call a dead pixel), and small hairlines on my screen(cannot feel them with my nails though). Do you believe I could go to the store downtown and get it fixed/replaced?

Thank you in advance.

4. arubinst thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I would say it's definitely worth the try. Just make sure you book an appointment with the Genius Bar before you show up.

Good luck!

@Auzburner, thanks for your comment!

5. carson44 macrumors member

i bet they only replaced it because it wasnt a big crack and prolly wasnt dropped. i live in the us and dropped mine and it had a big crack and they wouldn't replace it. Good for you trying

6. synagence macrumors 6502a

I recently got my iPhone exchanged due to the silent-ring switch falling off ... i immediately noticed these things too .... the buttons feel different and the screen is definitely a bit better but i can't put my finger on how