My Government Bailout

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    http://tomsjournal.com/blog/
    I sware, this website almost made me throw-up.
    It's being advertised like crazy on Facebook. One was using a picture of Obama. I mean, just taking it on faith to be based on a sliver of truth, I really hope this mechanism of "writing checks to maintain funding", get's slammed very soon. Oy.

~ CB

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That guy is a total scumbag. :mad: I'd love to see him arrested and forced to pay it all back including some hefty fines and penalties.

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

There are zillions of packages (well not that many, but you get what I'm saying) that teach people how to apply for government grants. This is real. And if you are good enough at writing out your purpose for the money and there are grants available, you can get your hands on huge sums of cash. You are supposedly watched to be sure that the money goes to the purpose for which you indicated it was intended. But I'm not an expert on this, so I honestly don't know how much checking goes on.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The grant writing process is what keeps most people away. The money is out there if you know how to get it.

5. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I really hope that as well. I have seen way too many times where federal agencies find creative ways to spend their extra money at the end of the fiscal year just to make sure it doesn't look like they don't need their full budget. :(

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

:pNot understanding this thread. The title says bailout but the OP is complaining about government grants. Not really the same thing.

EDIT*** Thought about it a bit more and I see where you are going. nvm

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

When I see "Government Bailout" I think of the recent bailouts for the big corporations. Government grants have been around for years; they are certainly nothing new.

8. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Nothing is new about government grants, but the idea of using the concept of government grants as a "get-rich-quick" scheme is abhorrent. People can talk all they want about government programs to aid the poor, and whether it is good or bad to make people become dependent... but the idea that someone might pay off THEIR INCURRED CREDIT CARD DEBT, by getting a government loan, is just despicable. I remember learning about government loans from a few different sources... one being a crazy TV commercial with a guy with bad fashion sense.

He pushed the idea that the government would PAY you to do work on your house, participate in a study, etc. At no time did he push the idea that you could pay off that Mastercard, after you bought your big screen tv and your XBox 360.

The bailouts being talked about are a whole discussions worth of difference from someone clearly swindling the government by twisting the truth and hoping no one checks up on them. This sort of thing feeds into and justifies the worst libertarian nightmares about big government. It needs to be tracked down and eliminated.

~ CB

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yet another guy selling you the "insider info on free money"???? These sites have been around for years. You pay them money for "insider info" and they send you the same stuff the government will send you for free :D

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

11. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

One question...

Where's my/my family's bailout?

Don

12. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Look at this one:
    http://www.2009ObamaGovernmentGrants.org/

I'm just thinking this is part of a cynical misinformation campaign or opportunism at its most despicable. This is idea that billions of dollars are being thrown out there for people to snap up just by filling out a form and requesting it.

Worse, I'm sure there is an unrealistic public "euphoria" that Obama's suddenly going to give people money and "spread the wealth".

Its interesting that the only one making $50,000 - $1,000,000 or more... free... is the person running this sham.

~ CB

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It is a little more than that. You have to apply for the grant and explain what you will be using the money for. It is not just simple paper work either. You need to know how to write grants and the proper grants to go after.

14. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Well, *allegedly*, the form these people are being tempted to fill out is likely fairly simple, and the people filling them out need to know nothing. The trick being that they take these forms and give them to a professional grant application service... which they get very discounted volume rates on. Whether they assist in finding the right grants, I don't doubt, gets into the details of why its a "scheme" and not much more than bad news all around.

~ CB

15. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Wow. Even the ads in this forum show how many people have jumped on this band wagon. I was just stopping by to note another Google ad I saw while reading about the Stimulus bill. Here's how it read:

So, the interesting thing about this one... is that it takes a different approach. Instead of getting people to believe that you'll actually get a part of the Stimulus package, they're saying... "Time's running out, the grant money will be gone soon!"

The web page goes on to say:

Interestingly, this scheme is mostly truthful, if unlikely to yield results. More in line with the grant offerings we've always seen than the f-ed up "bailout" spin they've taken lately.

~ CB