My grandkid school is going to ipads for -e-books in the classroom

Discussion in 'iPad' started by henry2, Jul 27, 2011.

1. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

My oldest granddaughter school this year is going to try a year long experiment of haveing the school book's that they need for class in the Electronic-book forum for them to use for the whole year .

She was signed up last year for a advance program to test the kids on haveing the ipad in the classroom .Plus i have to say she a smart cookie for her age :D:D:D

She got her class supply list this week for her school and she has to have a 16.gb ipad with the following access items for it ..
    1-keyboard-
    2-power cord-
    3-screen cleaner
    4-carrying case to protect the ipad when it beening transported to and from school & between classroom
    5-usb snych cord
    6-backpack to hold the ipad and other items need for school
    plus the few odd's & end's that they need for the class ..

We where looking at the one case that make it look like a mac book style laptop for her to type on along with beeing easly to tote around .. So we where figureing a used first generation model from apple should do the trick .

She has to take the ipad to school next friday and they are going to load the book's onto the ipad and they start school Aug 8 ..

So it going to a great Experiment of seeing if it really will be the wave of the future of text book's for school

Also part of the Experiment was to see if this would lighten the load that a school age childern carry with them on a daily basis ..

2. Daforce macrumors newbie

Great stuff..please keep us informed about the progress of this experiment..having an iPad instead of all these books is really great but i hope there will be some control about the use of the iPad in the classroom because many of the students will be playing multiplayer infinity blade in the last desks :rolleyes:

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

Glad to see this is moving forward. If you have not read Ender's Game yet, I highly recommend it. We are finally living in a present future that I recognize from my past :)

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wish this was all happening when I was in school. Specifically high school where my backpack would tear before the school year was over due to the weight of the books I had to drag home. College was even worse! I would have given anything to carry a small sack with an iPad and some accessories.

Good luck.

5. mfr1340 macrumors regular

sounds good (but)

I don't think it is a good idea to have school kids walking around with $600.00 to $700.00 worth of gear that is high on the list of things that crooks want the most. Once it gets out what school is doing this they might be targeted.
    Ones to use in school would be good, and a way for the kids to hook up and down load the days info. when they get home. It would also be good for people who are off sick to keep up with the class. The school should buy the ones to be used in class, and the parents can get the one for home.

6. henry2 thread starter macrumors regular

henry2

The teacher is going to put a list of application's that they will need on the ipad along with each class that they have E-book's on the ipad and from my understanding of how it done the book's and the application's are going to eat up alot of the space on the flash drive

From my basic understanding of how it was explained to me was there is going to be about a gig left over and they have to have that for school work that they do on the ipad

They turn in there homework through a wireless system that the teacher has on there laptop and it download's there homework to be graded or a test to be graded .

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

I think this is a non-issue in most communities. Please don't worry the op unnecessarily over this.

In many areas, the bus picks kids up from in front of their house, drops them off in front of the school, and if there is any walking, it is in neighborhoods, often with friends.

Even if they were walking around in downtown LA, it would take a bit of work to identify the kids who are carrying the iPads and pick them off out of all the kids in LA. I think a more lucrative target would be to just rob a house. As an added benefit, even the most intellectually challenged criminal mind knows that punishment is far less for breaking and entering, and the potential gain is also far more lucrative.

8. henry2 thread starter macrumors regular

henry2

She goes to a private school that has a bus system for them to ride home and it look's like Fort Knox at the school and they do not have problem childern in the school ..

When i went there to pick her up for a doctor vist .I had to show id twice before getting into the place and once in the school office and my photo had to match the photo on file for me to take her out of school ..

Plus you do not get into this school by beeing a problem child in public school and they are really pickly about who they let through those gate's into the school program

To come over from a public school your grade's have to be in the top 1.percent of the class your in to be allowed into the school .They have a fine track record for getting there kids into some of the top college's in the country and they will not put up with alot of bs out of the kid when it comes to there school behavior problems

there is a school uniform and most of the local cop's in the area will notice that uniform when in a stange area .

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I know!! When I was in college most of my reading material was in PDF form, which I then to either print (it became expensive after a while) and carry around everywhere (it was a lot of stuff) or read from my laptop, which I didn't carry everywhere and wasn't convenient if I was on a bus or something similar.

It would have also been very useful when I studied music and had tons of sheet music.

10. trsblader macrumors 6502

A lot of universities are going in this direction too (although I THINK they are supplying them at this point since it's such a "new" idea). I know at the University of Pittsburgh, only a handful of classes require a physical book, and they are just the foreign language and chem based classes (they only require a workbook for activities and lab, the main course book you can get as an ebook). 99% of teachers either put lectures online ahead of time, or hand them out in class. The other 1% is usually english classes in which you just buy a the class reading book and discuss in class.

I think it's an awesome idea. Really cuts down on the price of books, no need to resell them later for half cost at best, and they aren't cluttering your room. Not to mention you can carry them all with you and it's no added weight at all.

I think it's great grade school and high schools are doing this as well now.

11. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

the iPad has had a HUGE response in a very short 5 quarters since its release... triple the amount of anything before it. Amazing stuff.

12. mfr1340 macrumors regular

please where did you grow up at.

you need to watch the news once in a while. People are getting robbed for their shoes. They are getting hurt on the school buses. And there is no neighborhood that is safe any more.
    Like I tell my wife. Don't leave a $700.00 bill laying around, someone will take it.

13. palpatine, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

palpatine macrumors 68040

Assuming you are talking about the US, statistics show that such crimes have declined dramatically in the last twenty years, while people perceive crime to be on the rise, suggesting that rather than me watching more fright night news, you should be watching less :)

Have you been the victim of a robbery?

If we are talking about Japan, then statistically it is one of the safest countries in the world, where people routinely return lost money. In fact, after the earthquake a bunch of safes were found from the destroyed homes and turned into the police with their content intact. There are several reasons for this (if you are interested, see Mark West's books).

My point is that the news is not there to inform, but to entertain. This is hardly a modern phenomenon, but I think they are getting really good at it. I don't think you should be spreading a baseless fear (do you have any statistics or other evidence to back up your assertions?) to a guy about his grandkid.

By the way, I didn't make the absurd claim that every neighborhood is safe. I merely pointed out that there are many elements in place that make children less desirable targets than a house. Besides the whole transportation system set up to get kids from point A to point B, a house has no witnesses, lots more potential for monetary gain, and a lower penalty if you are caught.

If you are going to do fear mongering, at least trot out a statistic to make it sound credible.

14. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

I like this idea, and firmly believe it will be the future of how classroms are managed. Keep us updated OP, I'll check back in a year to see how your grandkid did.

15. henry2 thread starter macrumors regular

henry2

I'm sitting here watching her mom layout the items that she going to need for school on the kichen table and getting the evil eye as i'm in the way of laying everything out :D

She to have beside her gym class clothing and there access and those are carryed in there own bag for school

Beside the ipad and it items here is a basic list of the thing's she need for class this year
    -calcalator
    -pen's in red & black color's
    -notebook for note takeing or as statch paper
    -colored highlighter's for lab's book's she has class for
    -one text books for her langauge lab
    -one text book for her one lab
    -combination lock's for the her school locker & gym locker
    -plus any misc personal item's she might need
    that it in the way of school book's she going to need and that is all going into the backpack for school this year .

This part to me is a little funny because i'm reading over her class's for the day. Here the reason why this school make's them take 45.mins of gym per day for each day at school and she more worryed about that than the class that she has to take

Her mother & her think it not funny because i ribbing her a little about the fact how do you fail gym class and i'm getting the evil eye from both of them on this one ..

16. mfr1340 macrumors regular

info at your finger tips

all you need to do is google it to get the facts. You would be amazed at the things that you will find out away from macrumors

17. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

yeah I agree, young kids can forget them, leave them lying around during recess. It can cause trouble amongst kids who don't have them. People might want to steal them, or convince them to sell it to them. Damage them, the list goes on and on. But I'm pretty sure this is for some rich neighborhood, no way they would be this nice to the common people...

Curse you rich people and your $700 dollar bills!!! :apple: