My gripe with "I am Legend" — even though I enjoyed it.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eclipse, Jan 5, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all,

warning: spoilers below!

!

!

!

!

!

My main thing — which is probably intended as part of the "WOW" factor in movies like these, is that I always become obsessed trying to plot out the next few decades to hundreds of years.

For instance, do you imagine the movie saying there was going to be a "happy ending" after all, and that the doctors in the New Hampshire Fort would eventually take the vial of blood and make an airborne viral vaccine from it? That's a kind of "quick fix" scenario — which in itself raises all sorts of questions.

Like...

Imagine all the "zombies" wake up human after the viral-cure is seeded around the world.... or even just in the USA.

1. How many people are left?

How many of these "zombies" simply died of starvation or thirst? There's only so much meat out there to hunt. Once most of the 1% of immune humans were finished off, did the Zombies sometimes cannibalize on rival Zombie gangs? The only thing that feeds 300 million Americans today is our high-tech use of fossil fuels to suck Nitrogen fertilizer out of the air and force our plants to grow repeatedly in the same soil. It used to be that we left the soil to lie fallow, but no more. We have to use it each year to feed everyone... it's the same pretty much around the world.

So I'm assuming that even with their feral "eat any meat" approach, that a large majority of these Zombies actually starved to death. Organized fossil fuel society grows our food, pumps our water, and transports our food and water from where they are harvested to where they are needed. Without all that functioning, over 3 years I'm conservatively guesstimating that over 90% of Zombies simply starved or ate each other.

2. So with maybe 10% of America "waking up" after the viral cure is deployed...
    ...what do 30 million people eat if they're not cannibalistic dog-eating savages running around at night eating anything that moves?

I'm really starting to think that a 10% survival rate is too high.

3. Another scenario: the cure can't go viral.
    This one's even more interesting — imagine that the cure is always as painstakingly administered as in the Doctor's basement. The Zombie must be caught, drugged, trapped in ice water to lower core body temperature as the cure is administered. That's a lot more work.

Implications: More zombies out in the "wild" continue to eat each other and everything in their midst and starve to death because there simply is not enough food and no farming.

The FORT villagers might form "Zombie squads" that went and caught a few Zombies each night, and gradually added to their number and power. Eventually pressure on the local permaculture farming system would be too great, and the Fort would have to plant a second "Fort"... although how to do that without a functioning military and engineering core to build those huge walls of the first fort? This in itself could make a good season of TV viewing. Anyone agree?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Dude, it's a movie. It's not supposed to be "accurate", it's supposed to entertain. Accurate and factual used to mean documentary, but even those are all a bunch of nonsense anymore, calculated to inflame rather than inform. Also, remember that NOTHING is related to, oriented towards, driven by, or influenced by topics you may have either a high level of training or obsessive interest in. Hollywood writers are basically a bunch of 12-year old male adolescent ids masturbating under their desks with the latest Michael Bay fantasy.

That's why I don't watch much in the way of TV, and I haven't been in a movie theater in years. I either scream at the screen, or fall asleep and snore. Both bother my wife tremendously.

Plus, the popcorn sucks anymore.

3. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

OK, now anyone else? Anyone with a modicum of geekiness and interest in how the world works, and then how this scenario would play out?

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

the plot in the book made alot more sense in terms of the real world and human reactions.
    read it and then compare the two.

but yeah I think the movie version was a little too non-pleausible regarding the "cure"

5. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Really? Never read the book. But that was the same with David Brin's "The Postman"... OK book, terrible movie (or so I hear. I haven't even bothered I heard it was so bad).

Well, the book was OK but the stuff about genetically engineered supersoldiers at the end of the book was just plain silly, and a total distraction from the rest of the plot.

But imagine you are the Chief in charge of the Fort. What would be your priorities? Where do you see the fort in 10 years? In 20? In 100?

6. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

I preferred the "Omega Man" version of this novel. Far more believable.

7. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hang on.. was it the same story or do you mean far more believable story within the whole genre?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why didnt the crazy dogs attack the crazy people and the crazy people on each other

once again how is the cure gonna spread through air

why did smith not get in the fireplace with the others and then throw the grenade

lol it was entertaining though

9. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Didn't Will Smith hint at something about a "hive"? Even if he didn't mean telepathically linked, it may have hinted at a command structure or some sort of basic order within the wild pack. Even dogs and some birds have a "pecking order".

But I am still wondering about the "slow" cure scenario, and how long it would take to clean the US up with painstaking one by one "Zombie raids". Not being able to move around in daylight is a major bummer when you need to hunt meat. I really don't think there'd be many zombies left after another decade.

Would children of immune parents automatically be assumed immune as well? Horrible question.:eek: I'm a parent.

10. 119576 Guest

They had an obvious leader though, didn't they.

That's really as far as the acknowledgement of order/structure/freethinking went; even though all of those concepts were present, they just weren't brought to the foreground enough. An example; When Robert Neville catches that one zombie, and the other runs out after him briefly...When you find out that it's a female zombie he's caught, it makes you think that the zombie who ran out of the dark was her boyfriend (or something along those lines) and he was just doing things that a normal human would do. I just thought that should have been acknowledged, it would have added a bit more depth.
    [/rant]

11. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

So TH,
    what would your priorities be if you were in charge of the New Hampshire Fort?

12. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Just the US? We're getting eaten over here too! Fed-Ex us some of that vaccine when you're done with it ;)

13. 119576 Guest

Extracting the cure from the blood sample.
    Duplicating it.
    Researching effective ways to administer the cure to the zombies.
    Implementing above methods; probably targeting one hive at a time.

---

A bit very off topic comment here, but Mr Skills; I love your band!

14. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

If it eventually becomes a matter of just firing dart guns into the Zombies and running, well that's easy and a squad of specially trained soldiers could gradually cure them hive by hive during the day when they are isolated and at their most vulnerable.

But if it means catching each and every zombie and putting them into a frozen bath, heavily sedated for the night — that's a whole industry that's going to take a while. That's the thing — these Zombies are deadly — and so much of the sheer human effort involved in rebuilding society and the world is put into just surviving and reforming the Zombies.

And of course, once enough Zombies are cured back into regular people again, one needs a new village....... that's where the story could get interesting again. What if the zombies in another town smell this new village out, and decide to swarm?

Then there's other challenges, such as what happens when the local garages start to run dry? Someone has to find a petrol tanker and fuel up at other garages, to keep the "Zombie patrol" going if nothing else. (And I'm assuming people in the village will want vehicles for a thriving scavenging and recycling industry).

Lastly: how long do Zombies live? Will they.... ewwwwwwwww, breed? :eek: Is this a "one generation" problem? Would we assume most zombies would be dead by the turn of the century at 2100?

Hey, at least with most heavy industry shut down overnight by the spread of the original plague, at least they've fixed global warming. :p

15. 119576 Guest

You're thinking way too deep into this.

If it gets that bad, it's probably best to just nuke everything and start over the human race.

16. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

The question that interested me is what happens to the Zombies' intellect. When they become zombies, do they retain the same memories, just with uncontrollable aggression? Otherwise, you might have a bit of an education problem with those who get cured...

@tiredhores: thanks! You can vote for us here. :)

17. 119576 Guest

That's something I was getting at in my other post. They were still clever enough to lure Neville into his own trap; so maybe they even got smarter!

18. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

And so strong on all that rage, adrenaline, and super-oxygenation.

I'm beginning to think that unless Bob down at the clinic can make this "cure" airborne, that we should just waste them! We are the human race now, just us! There's enough of us — there's so many of us we're past the inbreeding ratios. I say waste them! Who's with me????

:eek::eek::eek:

Woah, too much coffee there... started to think it was real.

19. soemochris macrumors member

The cure was a changed measle virus, it always changes and mutates, thus creating theses zombie things.

In reality i think he would go to an army base, and he would probably be in a tank.

he ended up being suicidal, he had nothing more to live for, hes family is gone and so is his dog

20. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

They seemed to be a religious family at the beginning, praying before their meals etc. So I'm thinking he might really have seen just a bit too much co-incidence in his rescuer and potential new girlfriend having a tatoo of a Butterfly when the last thing his daughter said to him before the plague was "look daddy, look at the butterfly."

He took a hunch / leap of faith and "knew" he had to send the cure to the fort via the girl and her butterfly, and that he had to lock that door and blow up the zombies with the door locked safely behind him.

21. 119576 Guest

Also; he'd found the cure, so his purpose was fulfilled.

22. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Ahhhh, interesting. He was in so much pain that now his mission was accomplished, it was time to check out? OK, that makes some sense. In this scenario the "Butterfly" is more a sentimentality and sad remembrance of his child than any act of faith. Interesting.

23. Queso macrumors G4

That's another point (of many) on which the book is superior. There's a breed of creature that have retained their human reasoning despite looking exactly like the other undead types (vampires in the book rather than zombies). I won't tell you the ending, but in the book Robert Neville isn't even searching for a cure, just trying to survive.

24. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Another butterfly most people did'nt notice was that the breaking glass formed a butterfly shape :eek:

25. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

The title is so much cooler in the book/for the book or what it means in the book.