My guess for the new Macbook Air on March 27...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vistokid, Mar 16, 2018.

1. vistokid macrumors 6502

With the announcement today that the March 27 event with be education focused I think it's pretty clear that the rumored lower priced MBA will be announced.

My personal guess is they are going to end the MBA and make the 12" MB the new entry level Macbook. It will be a new model with a 128GB SSD.

Thoughts?

2. SpitUK macrumors 6502

SpitUK

Hope so. I love the 12” and using it with a 4k monitor is fantastic. I have owned the base 2015, 2016 and 2017. With the next release I’m going to max it out with CPU and RAM.

3. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

discontinue the Air make the 12" MacBook the base model and introduce a 13" MacBook to replace it, that would fit with what the rumours have been saying about a new 13" MacBook or MacBook Air being introduced with retina display.

4. Macalway macrumors 68030

You guys are optimistic. They said they are going to cheapen the already el cheapo Air, which is not particularly optimistic.

We shall see. Anyways, we have the 12".

5. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

They never said they were going to cheapen the Air, most rumours point to either a MacBook Air with retina display OR a new MacBook in the form of a 13.3" the current 12" screen is too small for some people.

6. EugW, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018

EugW macrumors 603

EugW

The main rumour said they are going to sell a cheaper MacBook Air, with some mentioning it would be between US$799 and US$899.

Here is Ming-Chi Kuo's statement:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/03/kgi-cheaper-macbook-air-2q-2018/

We expect Apple (US) to roll out the new MacBook Air with a lower price tag in 2Q18. We forecast total shipments of MacBook models will grow 10-15% YoY in 2018 (vs. 0-5% YoY decline for the NB industry), up from 15.5-16mn units in 2017. While Quanta, Radiant, Catcher and SZS are likely to benefit from strong shipments momentum, SZS also stands to benefit from increased market share and a higher ASP.

7. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

And then another rumour said that:

"The source claims that LG Display has been tasked with making more panels with a 2,560 x 1,600 resolution – aka Retina Displays. These are thought to be for a new MacBook Air, which currently comes with a 1,440 x 900 resolution screen."

https://www.t3.com/news/first-ever-...na-display-leaks-alongside-affordable-macbook

I think we at least need to see an Air with a retina display OR for Apple to make a 13" MacBook and then drop the price of the Air.

8. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

As has already been discussed, the first rumour was a Ming-Chi Kuo, and the rumour you quote is from DigiTimes.

Neither are perfect, but Ming-Chi Kuo tends to be a lot more reliable than DigiTimes.

Anyways, I was just refuting your incorrect statement that the rumours didn't say the price would be cheaper.

9. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

My point is I don’t think they will drop the price of the current Air, I think Apple need more than just a price drop. The Air is a great laptop but it’s the only one in the lineup that doesn’t have retina. If they either put Retina in it or introduce a 13.3” MacBook at a cheaper price it would sell really well. Just standing on stage at the event and saying we are dropping the price of the Air without adding anything else seems odd to me.

Also Digitimes isn’t very good when it comes to certain rumours but they are a lot better at supply chain. Ming Chi Kuo is usually accurate tho.

10. Macalway macrumors 68030

If they improve that tired display and charge less....well that would be something.

But i'm dubious. The fact they still use some of that stuff.....

11. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I'm very dubious with most of it, Apple have resisted putting a retina display in the Air for years so why would they do it now? but then why also drop the price on the current Air without beefing up specs and adding a retina screen? there are also rumours of a 13.3" MacBook which has been around for a while now, i'm not sure if these MacBook rumours have been confused fro the Air update or vis versa.

12. Rick America macrumors member

Possibly because staying with the Air's "chassis" addresses the major disappointment with the current Macbook: the horrible keyboard

13. EugW, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018

EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Why not? It would be very easy for Apple to just keep it as is or perhaps just update the CPU a bit and then drop the price $100... and then discontinue it in 2019. Keeping the display non-Retina would keep the price in check, and Apple's profit margin relatively intact.

This is the edu market after all.

Or for all we know, they might just kill off the Air and drop the pricing of the MacBook Pro non-Touch Bar with an entry level dual-core CPU, while going quad across the board for the Touch Bar 13" MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, I don't see that hitting the $899 price point, which is why I'm still on the price-discounted old MacBook Air side.

And then there is the possibility of an ARM-based machine. Most people here wouldn't want one, but it'd be perfect for edu to compete against the Chromebook.

14. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

They could very well do that but i think if they plan to keep the Air around it has to be updated in some capacity, it wouldn't cost Apple that much to put a retina screen in the Air. Also i do think a MacBook price drop should happen at some point, a maxed out 12" MacBook is very close in price to that of a 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and if they are indeed adding a 13.3" version of the MacBook they should either drop the Air completely or drop the 12" MacBook keep the Air around at a much cheaper price and then charge the current price for a MacBook.

Macbook Air - $799
    Macbook 13" - $999

OR

Macbook Air with retina display $999 or $899
    Macbook 12" $899 or $799

15. rlenhart91 macrumors newbie

When thinking about how Apple is offering an aggressively cost effective yet premium device with the iPhone SE, I’m hoping this translates to the new MacBook. If they launched a 13 inch laptop with the same form factor as the 12 inch MacBook for $999, I will buy on day one. I think that this could be a huge seller for them as well. Especially if they gave the device the same color options as the 12 inch. Maybe I’m just being a little too optimistic.

16. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

You're being optimistic. The thing about the iPhone SE is that although it had a lot of the guts of the iPhone 6s, it also had a much smaller screen (with lower contrast ratio), and 1st gen TouchID.

17. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

The reports are all so confusing and really don't make sense.
    To me, a 128GB MacBook would see a £200 price drop compared to the 256GB.
    The 'Air' name needs to be dropped. But saying that, the 'Air' is the only MacBook that i've never liked. Sadly, I truly hate the design of it - the outdated silver bezels, tinny sounding speakers, it's outdated by 5 years. It's the one Apple product that i've never been able to say anything nice about. Sorry :'(

18. rlenhart91 macrumors newbie

Hopefully we’ll get some clarification at the 3/27 Keynote. Even if we have to wait until WWDC, that’s only a couple of months away. But, I pledged to never buy another Windows laptop once my current one died and it did so I’m definitely in the market.

19. bill-p macrumors 68000

I feel like everybody is being too optimistic.

1. The new 13" display could be for a larger 13" iPad Pro that has little to no bezel. iPad Pro has been pushed as the device for "students" as of recently, so it makes more sense for Apple to introduce a new iPad.

2. I don't think Apple has typically announced new MacBooks around March of any year in any Keynote, but I could be proven wrong. Apple has introduced new iPads around March, though.

3. Intel is having difficulties getting the next generation of processors out, so there'd almost be nothing to mate with this new lower-priced MacBook supposedly being introduced.

4. $799 cuts into iPad sales so I don't think they'll ever want to do it.

Basically, I think iPad fans have more to be excited about with the upcoming event than MacBook fans.

20. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

1. Reasonable guess, but if for edu it would probably not be an iPad Pro. It would be an iPad.

2. Yes they have. Mac laptops have come out in Feb. March, April, May, June, July, etc. For example, the 2015 MacBook Air came out March, and the 2015 and 2016 MacBooks came out in April.

3. If it's a MacBook Air, they could use older processors like Skylake 6th gen. Or they could even just re-price the current MacBook Air with Broadwell 5th gen at $100 cheaper.

4. I'm guessing $799 is too low unless that is institutional pricing... or else it's ARM or something (eg. iPad). I was guessing $899 if it's a real MacBook Air.

21. Macalway macrumors 68030

If they decided to use their own chip, that would be fun. This could explain a price drop. They could improve it elsewhere, cuz, Lord knows, it needs it.