My head can't make up its mind, do i need a rmbp or? Appreciate the help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henrikrox, Jul 17, 2012.

  1. henrikrox macrumors 65816


    Feb 3, 2010

    Tomorrow, i can get a hold of a rmbp. I live in Norway, and it seems stock has just gotten in here this week.

    Now. I'm a bit of a tech geek, and buying stuff i actually don't need.

    I recently sold my apartment way over the asking price, so i have about 80k $ in winnings. So money isn't a issue.

    However, its still money spent, money that can go to other things, like vacations, more savings etc.

    My apple products consists of as of this moment

    Macbook air 2011, 13,3"
    Mac mini 2011, used as media center PC with xbmc w/airplay
    iPad 3 64GB 3G/4G

    Now thats all the computer stuff i have, and i notice I'm lacking some oomph. I used to be a avid gamer, but in the past 5 years (I'm 25) gaming for me has gotten really boring. And if i want to play something i can always just play something on my xbox.

    Also i love my macbook air, i spent most of the time on the internet, just watching subscribed youtube videos or (yes for some weird reason i still love to watch people play games, just not play em)

    Do i need this computer? I really want it, but i have a feeling i just want it because its new (i know thats bad)

    As for what I'm doing, I'm a student studying to be a oil engineer.
  2. HighEndMac macrumors regular

    Mar 30, 2011
    If you are asking the question then you probably dont need it, wait until the rMBP is perfected in a year or so. By then you probably will need it. I would put the money aside in a mutual fund or just a savings account and just dont touch it. View it as money already spent.
  3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
  4. ericrwalker macrumors 68030


    Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, NY
  5. MacBird macrumors 6502a

    Apr 1, 2010
    You don't really say what you would do with it. Maybe you can just get a decent external monitor for the Mini and MBA.
  6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030


    Mar 22, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
  7. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816


    Feb 3, 2010

    no around 400 000 NOK
    80k dollars
  8. Slivortal macrumors 6502

    Jun 14, 2012
    It sounds like what you really want is probably a souped-up windows machine to use as a gaming device. While the RMBP is actually decent bang for the buck in terms of general computing, your money would be much better served on some sort of dedicated gaming rig.

    Contrary to popular belief, the RMBP will not be "perfected" with next year's hardware. Apple has some of the most picky fans out there, and regardless of design, there will be flaws.

    Will some of the 2012 kinks be worked out? Yes, but you could say the same of the 2013 kinks in 2014. Not to mention the really obvious software-based kinks are just that - software-based.

    So, in conclusion, OP - buy an RMBP if it will make you as happy as $2200 would make you. But don't expect to get amazing gaming performance.
  9. ericrwalker macrumors 68030


    Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, NY
    Holy crap, awesome job there. :cool:

    A word of advice though, put it in the bank. Don't waste money, you never know when you're going to need it.

    If you have a working computer that does what you need, don't buy another.
  10. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816


    Feb 3, 2010
    Yes you are probably right, and like you say, u never know when you need it, car, house etc.

    And there is nothing that i miss doing with the mba 2011. So the hardware isn't holding me back

    F it, you guys convinced me, I'm keeping my hands off the rmbp for now. Im just weak for tech. But its just waste of money when i have a perfectly good computer for my needs.


    Thanks for the help btw guys, appreciate your opinions. i really do
  11. prfrma macrumors regular

    May 29, 2010
    I'd split the money into two and put it into two banks tbfh.

    Or donate some to charity? (me) :eek:
  12. Throw Out macrumors regular

    May 12, 2012
    Don't be cheap, buy it.

    If you really have 80,000.00, 3 or 4 thousand won't hurt you.

    Now if you really want to make a investment, Las Vegas, Casino.
    You can't loose.
  13. pizzafootbal macrumors member

    Jul 24, 2010
    Before making a large purchase, wait 3 days and really think about it. Impulse buying can be dangerous and lead to regrets later.
  14. ericrwalker macrumors 68030


    Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, NY
    You can LOSE., and probably about 99% of people that visit Vegas go home with less than they went there with. Nothing wrong with that if you keep that in mind when you go there and you're there to have a good time.
  15. Queen6 macrumors 604


    Dec 11, 2008
    Land of the Unexpected
    Buy - you will enjoy the rMBP, thats reason enough...
  16. Sir Al macrumors member

    Sir Al

    Feb 14, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Do you need it? From what I've read - I don't think so.

    Would you still enjoy it if you bought it? - YES!

    Can you afford to pay for a luxury that you don't need? - I'll leave this one up to you.
  17. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816


    Feb 3, 2010
    Hah, i told my gf "i decided not to buy the retina macbook pro"

    she "oh really, don't u want it, it looks really good"

    me "god damn it"

    In short, i can't make up my mind, going to think about this the rest of the day, and ill update tomorrow.

    Brain says no, heart says hell yes
  18. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020


    May 28, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Next year's rMBP probably won't be really different but its price will probably be lower with the price of SSD getting down so fast and the cMBP possibly getting discontinued.

    It might be reasonable to wait at least until then since you have a fairly new MBA and one of the most expensive components in the rMBP (its flash memory) is going to lose all its value really fast. If you wait until the cMBP is discontinued I bet you will save a couple hundreds of dollars plus you will get Haswell and a new GPU.

    I was in the same position and decided to wait until my friend who works at an Apple store offered me a discount :). I'm still waiting for her to be allowed to order it though.
  19. bozz2006 macrumors 68030


    Aug 24, 2007
    I don't think this is the rMBP to get. I'd wait a year until the hardware is powerful enough to give you seamless UI.
  20. NiCk- macrumors regular

    Jun 11, 2007
    Then nothing else will ever truly satisfy you .. Buy the Retina ;)
  21. themumu macrumors 6502a


    Feb 13, 2011
    I know what you mean, sometimes it just gets to you and you can't stop thinking about it. My way to deal with it is to go ahead and buy the item, but from a store with good return policies. Then after I unpack it and use it for a while, sometimes I realize it's not quite as good as my imagination made it out to be. If that's the case, just bring it back for a refund. Itch scratched, money still in the bank.

    Of course, there is always a chance you will like it and keep it, but oh well, at least it would be a fully informed decision.
  22. Slivortal macrumors 6502

    Jun 14, 2012
    If you really want to get it, then get it. You can probably get a good price for your old MBP, and you definitely have the money to spare.

    The hardware is generally powerful enough - it's mostly software issues. The potential hardware from next year's gain is probably minimal, as Intel can't bring out their MCM chipsets until after the 14nm die shrink. We may see more battery life from Haswell, but what we really need is better graphics resizing algorithms.
  23. ericrwalker macrumors 68030


    Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, NY
    If you really want it, you have the money. Sell the old one.
  24. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

    Feb 17, 2008
    Do you need it? No.

    For your engineering, your school should have computer labs meant to run those very intensive programs. I'm in aerospace engineering and most of the people in my department are just fine with the 13" MBP.

    Honestly, I think you should just wait until next year, and then satisfy your techy side. Right now, the retina display is really pushing the limits of the GPU's they can fit into such a small form factor (reports of lagging and so on) not to mention that companies will need time to optimize applications (which don't look good whatsoever without that optimization.)

    Your best bet will be to wait until the next rev for the better GPU and by then, the vast majority of major apps should be fixed.
  25. Poochi macrumors 6502a


    Jul 30, 2010
    Just buy it. Sell the old ones.

    It will bug you until you get it if you were like me.

    I upgrade when my heart tells me to and my brain feels good after I sold my old devices and the upgrade's incremental cost is just a nominal computer depreciation.

    Do that, you get best of both worlds.

    I paid for the base rMBP for $2300 tax included.

Share This Page