Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-GaViN-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
So I have been headphone shopping trying to find a pair of headphones to replace the garbage ones that come with the iphone. I wanted to avoid using one of the adapters on the market, mostly because they look like :eek: . I ran into the skullcandy "smokin buds" at bestbuy and noticed the headphone jack looked VERY close to the size of the apple one. I decided to look around online before giving them a shot. I didn't find anyone that had tried them with and iphone, but I did read some bad reviews on them. But then I ran into the skullcandy "Full Metal Jackets". I read some really good reviews on them, and they looked to have the same headphone jack as the smokin buds I saw at bestbuy, except for metal. So I decided to give them a shot. The arrived today and I was very happy to see that the headphone jack was only VERY slightly larger than the apple one, and I needed to shave just a tiny bit off to get it to fit. I used some 150 grit sand paper and went to town. Took me about 10 minutes and it fits great now :) I will probably throw some black paint on the jack, or maybe use a sharpie... the silver looks ok for now though.

Just thought I would share my solution. Aside from fitting the iphone without too much work, they sound great as well ;) Much more bass than I was expecting.

Attachments

• IMG_2239.JPG
    IMG_2239.JPG
    908.8 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG_2235.JPG
    IMG_2235.JPG
    905.6 KB · Views: 620

rocaweb

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
Interested in Mod with iPhone headset

I am interested in moding these headphones (Full Metal Jackets) by placing the actual phones on the iPhone headset cable that came with the phone. That way the microphone and button will work with this, apparently, much better set of headphones. It looks from pictures that you can unscrew the headphones apart to expose the cable and solder with speaker element inside. Can you confirm whether this is the case, or is there some glue there that prevents these from opening easily?

targetmarket

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
Yep - it works.

Very cool solution! Probably cleaner and quicker using a dremel. Thank you. Much better than the 1.5" adaptor I was using.

I bought the FMJ 9MM off the shelf today with no research or expections. Stuck em in my head and WOW! Couldn't ask for much better sound. And for only $45. Forget the Boes earbuds I had been considering ($100). The reviews stink. I will probably drop the extra $20 to check out a set of the FMJ 11MM. Of course giving them the "GavIn Modification".

Now that I have expectations, I am expecting to be even more blown away by the newer set!

Thanks again...

So I have been headphone shopping trying to find a pair of headphones to replace the garbage ones that come with the iphone. I wanted to avoid using one of the adapters on the market, mostly because they look like :eek: . I ran into the skullcandy "smokin buds" at bestbuy and noticed the headphone jack looked VERY close to the size of the apple one. I decided to look around online before giving them a shot. I didn't find anyone that had tried them with and iphone, but I did read some bad reviews on them. But then I ran into the skullcandy "Full Metal Jackets". I read some really good reviews on them, and they looked to have the same headphone jack as the smokin buds I saw at bestbuy, except for metal. So I decided to give them a shot. The arrived today and I was very happy to see that the headphone jack was only VERY slightly larger than the apple one, and I needed to shave just a tiny bit off to get it to fit. I used some 150 grit sand paper and went to town. Took me about 10 minutes and it fits great now :) I will probably throw some black paint on the jack, or maybe use a sharpie... the silver looks ok for now though.

Just thought I would share my solution. Aside from fitting the iphone without too much work, they sound great as well ;) Much more bass than I was expecting.

i7weenie

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
help

question
i am thinking about using these headphones, but on the ipod touch. so is the mic on the headphones detachable?

jpcompagnone

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2007
Know this is an old thread, but came across it while researching. No need for modifications anymore, Skullcandy has released the FMJ 11mm for the iPhone with a mic attachment.

Hope this helps anyone else looking

gutterflowerjc

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2007
I got an adapter

I too got the full metal jacket headphones (A day after I got my iphone) I had been through too many ipods to know that the headphones would suck. I just got a dynex adapter that was sitting next to them on the shelf at best buy... it doesn't look bad for $7, I can post pics if you want...

3XTR3M1ST

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013

Hi Gavin, I am facing difficulties removing the original 3.5mm jack of my FMJ for repairs due to disconnecting internal wires. Could you share how did you safely 'disassemble' your jack for the 'transplant'?

On my attempt to remove the cover on the jack, I couldnt figure out whether it was screwed (threaded joint) in place or simply using adhesive. Tried heating the thing up but still wouldn't seperate!!

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Hi Gavin, I am facing difficulties removing the original 3.5mm jack of my FMJ for repairs due to disconnecting internal wires. Could you share how did you safely 'disassemble' your jack for the 'transplant'?

On my attempt to remove the cover on the jack, I couldnt figure out whether it was screwed (threaded joint) in place or simply using adhesive. Tried heating the thing up but still wouldn't seperate!!

Sorry to say but this is a 5 year old topic. The OP hasn't posted since 2008 and you are not likely to get an answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.