My Headphone jack has a red light and no sound coming out from my speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by oct189, Feb 13, 2010.

1. oct189 macrumors newbie

ok the other day i opened my mac book and i couldnt listen to my music
    through my speaks
    and i tried to turn up the music cuz maybe it was on mute
    but i got a pic like this

(If u cant see it but its the speaker up full volume and the not allowed symbol the circle w/ the line through it)

and then i discovered that there is a red light coming out from speaker jack
    and i could only use my sound through headphones or a jack through other speakers (like a sound system) but no only that i can only hear through the right side of the headphones unless i hold the cord a certain way

someone plz help i need every advice possible and as soon as possible cuz i do dj with my mac too

Attached Files:

2. avihappy macrumors 6502

avihappy

Your Mac just got stuck sending audio via digital out. Here is one way you might fix it: http://leerodrigues.com/mac-tricks/macbook-pro-digital-out-stuck/

3. rapgirl77 macrumors newbie

40 acres between Gatton & Toowoomba Qld AU
    ....but is there a permanent fix?

I have this same problem on my 2008 MBP15, but unlike most, I can't get the problem to resolve. I get sound if I keep my ear buds plugged in - but that isn't convenient if I'm moving about my office - and I like to have music on while I work, not to mention calls and video.
    Apple are useless unless I want to take it in and have them dicker about replacing the sound system and this - as fate would have it - is my only laptop I didn't buy Applecare for, so heaven alone knows how much they would charge to fix it.
    I've even done a clean install hoping that would kick start everything again, but that didn't work either.
    For a problem that so many seem to suffer from, it mystifies me that Apple Techs seem to deny all knowledge.
    Sorry, I know this is a whinge and not a fix, but I'm hopeful some lovely person out there may have some permanent fix they've been keeping to themselves. :apple:

4. AshMan macrumors regular

To the OP I think I have read that inside the Jack is a little tab that tells it if audio is plugged in and routes sound through the headphone port. If you check sound settings I believe there is an option to choose to send sound out as speakers, digital or headphones. I have seen the setting somewhere on my MacBook. I have heard of some trying to free up that little tab with like a toothpick or inserting and removing headphone plugs.

To the second poster. Same may apply to you.

You can also try searching mroogle.

5. fluffyx macrumors 6502

If you see a red light and no audio comes out, but when you plug headphones in, the headphones work fine, cleaning the audio-out jack often helps.

However, because you describe that you have to apply pressure to the headphones in order to get both channels of audio, it's safe to say that the main logic board (the part that includes the audio jack) is damaged. You need a main logic board repair, which almost always costs $280, parts and labor included.

An economical alternative would be to purchase a USB audio device (like the Griffin iMic), which is significantly less pricey than a main logic board.

Hope this helps!

6. Imran927 macrumors newbie