My honest 3 Week review of the macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twgolf, Dec 31, 2016.

1. twgolf Suspended

Ok so after flip back and forth on this machine Im ready to do a review.. I've returned 2 units and was heartbroken and disappointed in the computer @ the beginning...

The Bad:

Ill start with the issues - my 3 machines have averaged about 4.5 hours battery life doing normal tasks - the machine I'm on now seems to be better.......

The track bar is Useless - its terrible. I'm sorry. So I set it to show the functions keys so it's not that big of an issue - BUT sometimes It doesnt display - sometimes It takes a minute to show up - Sometimes only 1/2 the icons show up (Literally 1/2 icons)

Palm rejection was Terrible on my first machine - basically rest palms anywhere near the pad and all hell would break loose but this machine is better

It's IMPOSSIBLE to hook up a 4 K monitor - if not impossible it is VERY difficult - USB 3 to Mini display port to display port doesnt work - HDMI doesn't work @ 60hz, .... How many fricken dongles do you need??? (Ill wait for the LG ones to come in stock)

Dongles Dongles Dongle Dongles - Actually this doesn't bother me that much. Wasn't heartbroken when I lost DVD Drive and I'm not heartbroken now.

Price - Worth more than my everyday winter car

The Good:

The Display is glorious

The Track Pad is perfect - NEVER accidentally tap pad (happens all the time on windows machines)
    Ever try to drag on a windows machine??? Nightmare

The looks are amazing - Space grey is so sharp - the Size is so slender and light.

The Keyboard - At first I hated it but learned to love it. It's awesome

The Fingerprint scanner is so good I bet it will make passwords useless soon....

The hard Drive - SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Fast - I installed Windows 10 in 7 minutes start to finish - You can't install Windows 10 in 7 minutes on a 5k alienware with a M.2 SSD - Just doesn't happen....

So lets see - After 3 weeks, 2 returns, 3 computers I have to say I actually Love the new computer.

I think I "joined the party" and bitched about everything just because - i returned the first one because palm rejection was terrible and the 2nd one because I had track bar issues but honestly I could have kept them both as I think they may have been software issues and would have been fixed soon enough..

I give the new computer a 8.5/10 - Not a necessary update from the 2015 machine but anything older should be upgraded.... Overall I'm finally happy

2. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Kudos for doing the 'Cons' first!
    Why dont all reviews do that, so it ends on a positive note.
    Thanks for the review! enjoy.
    IMG_0865.PNG

3. Coco Nuts macrumors newbie

Coco Nuts

4. twgolf thread starter Suspended

A few more notes -

Texting from machine is great - didn't use it before but started on this and it's great - Even SMS works great...

Yes those arrow keys are bad.

The new speakers are fantastic - kill the surfacebook.

5. jlgreer1 macrumors newbie

jlgreer1

Thank you for the review. I will definitely wait for the sequel, especially for the software.

Jeff

6. lobo1978, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017

lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

Pictures baby, show us your glitches and problems!

I am suprised as my 13" is super, no touchbar problems what-so-ever
    --- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2017 ---
    No problems here also...
    After some research I have only Dell DA200 + 2 USB-to-USB-C plugs. Cables for my external harddrives were not so hard to find either - Do you have access to Amazon? There is literally an explosion of USB-C solutions. You don't need separate dongle/adapter for each port.
    Again baby, which 4K monitor you own? Give us photo and model and everybody will be more than happy to help you.

7. Personavox macrumors newbie

Personavox

just purchased low end spectrum 15 in MacBook Pro I'm not pleased with hardware, even if I were to upgrade maxed out which I plan to do this week another 15 model. The limited power of the dedicated gpu is something swaying me from leaving this laptop. However apple allowing a external gpu to be plugged into usb c would allow for a excellent machine. better yet kabby lake 32 gb ram and external gpu

8. Jaekae macrumors 6502

Your problems on the first two sounds like software bugs, could probably been fixed with clean installs and nvram/smc resets :)